Why Are Some Players So Eager to Go All-In?

Split

Split

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What limits do you play at?
if these are micro stakes, then there is nothing surprising in the fact that people play there for fun, without fear of losing a large amount of money

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
...One hand won’t win a tournament but that’s not to say it isn’t easier if you have big stack. It’s just stupid to shove to gain one with mediocre hands.

On the other side, the hyper turbo freerolls...

Both good points. I have been stupid like this too many times and am less likely to push on a flip (unless of course we're <20BB, then I often go roughly go by the charts.)

Second, your comment on fast games is also on point. I played a game recently where six people went all in on the first hand. (a few premium hands, a couple AXo) and a real P.O.S... and guess what happened? (AKs split the pot with AKo).

I find I'm torn between trying to make some money quickly vs having the time to wait for a good hand to come along. Then again, I'm still trying to find the games where I have a clear edge. Not there yet.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

ColJaFilmer

ColJaFilmer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think because it's exciting, it gets people to fold and you can win loads of chips but it's obviously a massively flawed strategy

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In cash games? I see it once in a while in micro/mid stakes after someone tilts from taking a bad beat or making a bad call. They'll start spewing chips by shoving for several hands until either a) other people call them and take enough buy-ins that they rage-quit the table, b) people call and they win enough to "calm then down." or c) no one calls and they eventually just settle down after picking up a few blinds.

I've also seen it where I've sat down at a table where someone already has 5x the buy-in and are intermittently shoving preflop, and somehow keep winning. I'm not sure what is going on in their mind, but if they are "feeling lucky" and keep being paid off it might keep reinforcing that decision until they lose a hand, and then the player eventually leaves with their winnings from that table. We all know it can't work well for them long term, but I don't know if that's how they play all the time but I'm sure it feels sweet winning a bunch of money in a short period of time.

As far as tournaments, I see it mainly at the beginning of freerolls and rebuy MTTs. They are a massive time commitment, and you aren't losing much, if anything if you bust. If you do get lucky you're in a good spot for the long haul. Personally, I don't mind that because the field thins quicker and if the gods are good I might get a hand worth calling with (I've become the overall chip leader on a couple of occasions from a single, early hand).

Overall, I don't believe people who are all-in/spam-shoving every hand in general are taking the game all that seriously at the point, no matter the format.

Dmondo

Dmondo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eager? More like stupid... They too shall learn after getting sick of losing.

HolePairs

HolePairs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think people play tournaments like that because its either get a big stack early or get grinded down in the later stages. I feel many players think its all luck too, and play with an any two cards mentality. Sure it could work from time to time but I'd be willing to bet that those same players dont cash out often.
It is a poor strategy in my opinion

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi. Today is one of those days when the variance made me lose more than once against these characters, the typical case of AA or KK losing against 7-2o or similar. So, regardless of the fact that everyone can play as they wish, I wonder what is the motivation for these types of movements? I can't understand it, it's as if instead of playing poker they play in a slot machine. Maybe someone can enlighten me about this phenomenon.
It's simple. It's because one of the following:
1- they're playing freerolls or very low buy in and don't care about losing (but if they match a hand is nice);
2- they're playing re-buys tourneys or very low cash stakes;
3- they're drunk;
4- they are big fish (just like me);
5- some many other reasons.
:)

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"All in" is theoretically the strongest bluff possible (and the strongest value bet). If you know your opponent is tight or aggressive, you can use All-ins to your advantage to take down some pots you otherwise wouldn't be able to get (or get max value).

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to gamble.

Some people play poker just to gamble. They are not very interested in advanced strategy.

I wish I had that much money to piss away but I honestly don't think I would. Out-smarting other players is what makes the game for me outside of the money.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Free tournaments make it easy to go all-in, maybe because you don’t have a bet. In other cases, it may just be tilted.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I just hate these players, they ruin all the fun of the game.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
someone on tilt plays like that, someone has such a strategy - doubled up and play evenly, there are players who have favorite cards and they go all-in

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Going all in every second is just as bad as over betting. Have to say, watching the professionals, I don't see these type of moves...

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Nowadays it seems that the only thing that counts is winning or losing fast.Regards.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What limits do you play at?
if these are micro stakes, then there is nothing surprising in the fact that people play there for fun, without fear of losing a large amount of money

That's why the professionals don't do it. Just annoying if it's constant throughout the game from the same player(s)

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in the freerolls, players do this to double up quickly or move on. In the lower limits, you'll find some higher limit players doing this to blow off some steam. If you don't know how to play poker, it's probably the best strategy to just go all in every hand.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is very common that in Freerolls tournaments they play like this to shoot all in.
For them it is very exciting to go all in, they leave it up to each other.
These people do not understand the game in the least. They are recreational.
Now in cash tables it is different, obviously that some recreational ones you will find but in tournaments the amount of little fish that there are haha ​​is incredible.

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of the times they are lucky and kick you out with a good hand. The algo also is to blame for that. If you call you lose much more of the time. That can have a very negative effect and you start doing the same. Hence all those all inns.

arashsgr

arashsgr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all -in preflop

I believe in the world of poker there are some poker players who doesn't know the pattern of betting and other strategies thus they have to defend their hand in this way by going all-in preflop

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Тhe only good reason is to play in more than 8 freerolls and look for a quick doubling. You will succeed at one or two tables, even without a hand selection. I can't say it's such a bad strategy since you play without buy-in.. At MTTs with an entry fee we rarely see this type of inadequate actions.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think the see the buy in(freeroll)and think gambletime yust for fun...And sometimes maybee they love to see how other players become angry of those type of players and call any two...;)

F

flyinghas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that s the algorithm behind the software .always supports a group of players. maybe bots . who knows.

A

Anton1609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Думаю, это делают только новички или игроки фрироллов. Я сам играю агрессивно, всегда стараюсь блефовать в нужные моменты, но иногда эти игроки злят тебя, у вас хорошая рука, вы 3-бетите, и вас какой-то нуб олл-ин:mad: