What keeps you from being profitable at Poker?

Deadrabbit

Deadrabbit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest reason most people can't be successful at poker it's just a game.
To be successful you have to think of it more than that.
Competition today has gotten extremely tough. Most people have at least some kind of strategy to win. So to be a successful player you have to be in the top 10% of the field. The biggest thing that most people are not going to do is study. Study time takes up about half of my poker time. Another major reason people are not successful if you have to be bankrolled properly for the game. This is absolutely crucial. Think of it as flipping a coin double or nothing. Your risk of ruin ROR% is 50/50 but if you doubled or nothing 10 times in a row the likelihood of you going broke is near 100%. It's really that simple protecting your RoR.
The last two things are pretty important having balance in your life and remaining positive even through the adversity and downswings....
And lastly tilt control.

To be profitable at poker for me is that when I am playing poker to play poker.

I know that sounds silly, but it's that simple. If I've got the TV on while playing that is a distraction that takes away from concentrating on the poker game. It's easy to get distracted and let your mind wander and start multitasking while playing.

The best way for me is to play soft piano background music to keep calm and play poker without any of the distractions.

That was the number one reason I said people are not successful and my response to this question playing poker to play poker people are just playing to have fun and that is not how you you win.
You certainly can win just like you certainly can win the lottery Chris moneymaker did.
But Chris moneymaker is not a successful poker player...
See him the couple years after winning?he looked like he had been run over by a truck.

I am hindered by opponents, especially those who play better than me.
This is probably the easiest one to conquer...
You really don't have to be the best poker player in the world you only have to be better than the people at the table.
How do we do this?
Play play play an extraordinary amount of volume. Your brain will do the work for you many times the more you do something.
Second one is tougher study study study...
And I don't mean being a YouTube expert,
Reading articles from top professionals certainly watching some YouTube,
Studying the mathematics and psychology will get you there.
But never forget bankroll management is crucial... Have your poker bankroll completely separated from your other finances.
Cheers

If what prevents me from earning more money is time since I don't have enough time to be able to play the tournaments more calmly. Hopefully one day I will have it and can show my level that it took me more than 15 years to perfect it.

Could always switch over to Cash Ring games believe me they're extremely profitable...
It's definitely a totally different animal so you have to change gears from tournaments but if you say you've perfected tournaments you could certainly perfect cash.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel v rai

Angel v rai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
little knowledge. and perseverance. It's like I'm afraid of losing. and I lose. And a lot of luck)

D

Damian Baez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Answer

What prevents a player from being profitable in poker is playing off the bank, then the variance plays against it, but inside the bank it is difficult for it to be unprofitable.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
My problem is that I want to get everything at once. Invest the entire bankroll management in one tournament? I'll do it without even twitching an eye.
Cool dude, go ahead! Poker needs people like you. Someday you will be successful!:angel:

bojji74

bojji74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm not in the black, then I'm a bad player.

passat1600

passat1600

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I misjudge the chances of a hand to win and often call all-in with a weak hand in the hope of getting the coveted card)))

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't use any HUD or DATABASE SOFTWARE that reveals my opponents past history and past poker data.

That to me is my biggest reason why I don't win at poker.

You HAVE TO HAVE a EDGE...that software today is really expensive and impressive.

Thank you for listening....

Bluff

:jd4:

To me this sounds like 'YOU' are the biggest reason you don't win at poker.

fwiw, I have PT4 and have had it for many, many years but the for the games I play in, I never use it.

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
As the great said
V.V. LENIN: She studies, studies and studies again)
Repetition is the mother of learning

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Number one reason : BBBBAAAAD BBEEEAAATTTSS!!!!

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd probably say my poor Bankroll management skills.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Typically hand analyses and history review should indicate your major leaks in the game, at that point identify and start plugging the leaks one at a time while also maintaining a deep focus on the game. Prevention, do not get your self in the spots that tend to be less profitable.

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
good question

besides my very poor manage of bankroll when i get deep in a tourney is becouse im been playing well, folding loosing the minimun, taking max value from my made hands. folding folding folding with discipline and at 15-25 left even 10-15 left i make a bad call that i dont make it before in that tournament or a bad bluff and loose. after +4hours my mind its tired and i dont care anymore its always the same. i need to work on that.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have too much desire to be in the hand.

Even when I play carefully, I end up doing something dumb. I the last tournament, I spent the first 40% of the tournament just hold on and getting by. Then I moved toward the top. Then I called an all in. I had a slightly better hand. He hit the flop to take the lead, I hit the turn to regain the lead and he hit the river. I was again near the bottom. I worked toward the top, took another hit worked back to the top. With 11 left I was in 6th place and lost to the number 2.

Of the 3 big dives, the first was a risk that definitely did not have to be made. The second one was strong, but also too aggressive on my part.

The last one, strongly appeared to be a bluff. I had 99, the flop came 7,8,10. Opponent went all in. He had 88.

Had I not made either of the first 2 mistakes, I would have had the larger stack and still been in the tourney.

B

BILTIZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing prevents me. My bankroll is growing and I am quite happy with my results. The goals I set for myself this year have already been achieved. Of course, my membership in our community helped me a lot.
and im really happy for you
ya ebn el charmouta ya bouwes tizen ahahahhaha

K

Knockofff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll have to say patience and bankroll management

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me it's been tilt.

I see most peeps here talk about tourney plays but I play mostly 6max 02nl.

And when I check the graph I mark the tilt days and those are the plunging days.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do you know what harms you, or prevents you from being a constant winner in poker?

I believe that knowing this answer is one of the important keys to success in the game.

My mood is my biggest flaw, sometimes I will log-in to pokerstars wanting to play a simple SnG game, and no sooner has the game started I want to go do something different, or I remember an appointment I need to keep.
Some days I can Grind 7 or 8 games and play all day, other days I find I cannot stomach a single game and give up before the game start's.
I have lost count of the number of times I log-in and then log-out before I even register for a game, so I have to be in the right mood to play well.
I consider myself to be a profitable player in the respect that I can build Bankrolls from nothing but free-rolls, I have done it a few time's. But in saying that they are not huge compared to other player's Bankrolls. My biggest to date is just short of £600 so not doing bad really.

When the fun Stops, STOP!
(or moody:mad::mad:)

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my short experience in poker, I managed to take the change of position, what I mean, before I took my hand as strong, even TT, and today I analyze the rivals much more, today I hope the hands that are profitable for me to to be able to make a difference, but I no longer think like I'm winning the hand with middle pairs although top pair, but I try not to reach the river without costing villain to go all in.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually withdraw almost all of my bankroll once I go up to hundreds due needs in my life. I never deposit and only playing freerolls. That's the reason I've never been able to make stable grind to try climbing bankroll from stakes to stake.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hey! I think what prevents me from winning at poker is the lack of experience. The first time there was tilt and greed. After all, every player wants to win a big jackpot almost in the first tournament. Then when I realized that not everything is as simple as it is shown on the screens, I began to slowly work on the game. Now I have little time to replay all this.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess because I don't play enough hands to beat the variance. The variance in poker can be very high. That's why I have to play a lot of hands so that they don't matter anymore. It is difficult to find enough time with a full time job to play enough hands. You also need statistics about your opponents. This is the only way to choose the right tables so that you can play against as many fish as possible. Otherwise it is not worth playing at this table. Without fish at the table you will hardly be able to make a profit.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
Not enough experience

I guess because I don't play enough hands to beat the variance. The variance in poker can be very high. That's why I have to play a lot of hands so that they don't matter anymore. It is difficult to find enough time with a full time job to play enough hands. You also need statistics about your opponents. This is the only way to choose the right tables so that you can play against as many fish as possible. Otherwise it is not worth playing at this table. Without fish at the table you will hardly be able to make a profit.

I agree with this and to further add a little of my experience is that i have realized not taking the time to read watch vids and play to undersand and learn how to read ppl rather than to win is whats keeping me back because then and only then i wont second guess my self

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
A better shove-fold chart , that would be my answer ..

N

neagranufan19380

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Trickrollers every time.

So much fun, but once word gets out that you're the mark sure you get laid a lot but there's no time to do anything else anymore.

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
My passion for roulette does not allow me to create the necessary bankroll to play. What to do with it .