What keeps you from being profitable at Poker?

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be profitable at poker for me is that when I am playing poker to play poker.

I know that sounds silly, but it's that simple. If I've got the TV on while playing that is a distraction that takes away from concentrating on the poker game. It's easy to get distracted and let your mind wander and start multitasking while playing.

The best way for me is to play soft piano background music to keep calm and play poker without any of the distractions.

C

coreytroyer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not having anymoney to bet.. haha

Brentsn

Brentsn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish I knew, I seem to be stuck. I will win some tournaments final table others and cash. I never put money on my account and will seem to win right away if I don’t either through tickets or other promotions. I get 2-3 hundred and the the River turns to a sewer and any hand I bet more than five blinds no matter how nut filled it was on the flop it melts like a snowman in hell. That and if we flip and I am dominating you your weak card is hits what seems to me to be 95% of the time lately. Every time I’m on the button with a BB with few blinds going all in with 97o will beat my AA. I know it sounds like bitching, but if I was to think back at me two years ago when I first started and tell myself that I no longer need to put money on my account (only to lose it quickly)and always be able to find either a cash game or tournament I think I’d be happy. I remember loving my 3c cashes in freerolls and saving them to make 40c to play a cash games. I don’t like playing multiple games (2at most)so variance is killing me. My bankroll at anytime goes from $0-$200 and several River cards from $500-$1000+Cash for what seems like the last six months. Hoping that I level up soon because treading water is getting tiring.

Last edited:
terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I figured out a long time ago,,,play like everyone else,i will get the same results,,,if i play differently,i will win more. :deal:

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience...I start out concentrating well, and often make one stupid move near the end.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greed is one of the worst poker habits. And also a stupid feeling of rivalry with opponents, when they often raise, you call them badly with an average or even weak hand, and in the end you lose. But in principle, this is not always the case. And also often I enter the tournament at the wrong time and something starts to distract me and I understand that I will not focus on the game and I lose (((

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Many good answers.

From what I see, most know what harms them...
Time, money management and study in general.

I find the pattern formed curious!

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Intelligence, luck and I think saving money to have a sense of profit.:)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not playing keeps me from being profitable. Played in a league that ran two tournaments a weekend. Stay in the top 5 on the leaderboard, had play every tournament. Just got to be a grind every weekend for about 5 years.

Since that concluded, haven't played very much besides a few SnG a month. That site, the bankroll is increasing at a slow pace.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main reason is laziness. There is no desire to analyze my game.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What prevents me from making money? This is my luck)))

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am hindered by opponents, especially those who play better than me.

Rvstam

Rvstam

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lack of patience and discipline is the main stone of anticipation

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that a patient player is why I am not profitable poker player. I just get bored n I feel like I have to play hands that I know I shouldn’t

lignerant131

lignerant131

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling when I know I'm beat. And online dont always pay enough attention to the task at hand and played at my table

D

Dentada

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing the correct buy-in for our game skills and bankroll.

V

Veyllajo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you know what harms you, or prevents you from being a constant winner in poker?

I believe that knowing this answer is one of the important keys to success in the game.
I’d think playing such low limit tables and Opponents not caring about their money.. they will play any and every hand and hope for the best knowing they have bad cards and win. Also not going with your gut feeling about a hand. Sometimes no matter what the cards are, you just got to go for it and at least see the flop!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing the correct buy-in for our game skills and bankroll.

I agree with you, Bankroll management is paramount when playing Poker, When I told a friend I had made $150 from playing free-rolls and $1 buy-ins, his response was if he had $150, in his bankroll he would be buying in for $50 a game.
Yes I said and lose the lot in three games, No! Thank you!
My bankroll now stands at over $570 Dollars and I still keep to my 1% buy-in rule, never risking more than I am willing to lose.
Poker for me is a fun way of passing a couple of hours, whenever I feel like it, and it cost's me nothing to play.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

ked717su

ked717su

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My problem is that I want to get everything at once. Invest the entire bankroll management in one tournament? I'll do it without even twitching an eye.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If what prevents me from earning more money is time since I don't have enough time to be able to play the tournaments more calmly. Hopefully one day I will have it and can show my level that it took me more than 15 years to perfect it.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree with you, Bankroll management is paramount when playing Poker, When I told a friend I had made $150 from playing free-rolls and $1 buy-ins, his response was if he had $150, in his bankroll he would be buying in for $50 a game.
Yes I said and lose the lot in three games, No! Thank you!
My bankroll now stands at over $570 Dollars and I still keep to my 1% buy-in rule, never risking more than I am willing to lose.
Poker for me is a fun way of passing a couple of hours, whenever I feel like it, and it cost's me nothing to play.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

It's essential!
Above $1.50 I use 0.5%.

It helps a lot in decision making.