Slowplaying

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys
Was wondering what do you think about slowplaying?
Say for example you sit with AA or flop the nuts. Is check-call/raise the best play or should you initiate by betting?

Thanks
In reality, the failure of an AA is little, usually they are won cards, specifically their position at the table and the development of the bets, as long as no cards have been seen. After the flop comes out, you already have your part, study the odds of winning or losing, but in a blind bet you have to intimidate the rivals. That's my way of playing

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand that some players may not be a fan of 'slow play' because they say that it's sneaky or unprofessional.....what!!??? Having the best hand is having the best hand! If you 'slow play' or play aggressive the objective is to win the hand and no matter how you play you still have the chance of it backfiring on you and you can lose the hand. Play your style and may the best hand win. Shuffle up and deal!

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While I've seen Pocket Rockets limped in successfully I personally will raise I really want to make the mediocre hands fold and get it a head to head situation as well as avoiding the BB limping in with 72o and hitting two pair or worse for a Bad Beat story.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every situation is different.

I might bet against people I expect to call me and will make a bet dependent on that. I may slow play against an opponent that I feel is going to bet for me.

Understand what your opponents want to do and what they want you to do and you can take advantage of that.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play my hands based on the dynamic of my table I'm at, especially pre-flop, because pre-flop and post-flop are two different animals altogether. I honestly can't remember the last time I even limped Aces pre-flop, unless it's heads-up against a hyper aggressive opponent. But post-flop, I am wanting to build a pot, and am not going to depend on my opponents to give me value, but really, I try and approach each hand the same, in that I want to try and put my opponents in a position where they have a difficult decision to make. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but that's just the way the game is.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you slowplay AA's sometime it work and sometime it doesn't that is way you have to be careful.

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys
Say for example you sit with AA or flop the nuts. Is check-call/raise the best play or should you initiate by betting?

Thanks
It really depends on the players your playing with what will work against them and if your in position or not will help dictate your play but usually you'll be seeing a raise from people especially new players because the excitement of AA at times will make them choose the first thing they think of which is raise or jam but just stop sometimes and think about other options

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Slow playing strong pocket cards before the flop is a mistake. You want to force out players who might call with marginal hands so they cannot catch up on the flop, turn, or river.
If the flop gives you the nuts, you have to decide on your course of action, which always depends on your opponents and their playing style.

magnetoak47

magnetoak47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play my hands based on the dynamic of my table I'm at, especially pre-flop, because pre-flop and post-flop are two different animals altogether. I honestly can't remember the last time I even limped Aces pre-flop, unless it's heads-up against a hyper aggressive opponent. But post-flop, I am wanting to build a pot, and am not going to depend on my opponents to give me value, but really, I try and approach each hand the same, in that I want to try and put my opponents in a position where they have a difficult decision to make. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but that's just the way the game is.

best comment

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I want whats in the middle. I dont slow play big hands!

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

I am not a fan of slow playing any of my hands. I have found it is better to bet my hands because they will call with even weak draws.

kleopatra123

kleopatra123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like slow play because it gives you more hands to think and try to recover from a bad hand,

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the Internet is full of information on how to use a float

xmuggpokerx

xmuggpokerx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fast play slow play middle play. Gotta play em all.

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys

Thanks

I think it depends on alot of factors, like your position, opponents agression, number of players in the pot and so on. dont think its a good idea to slowplay AA pre if alot of players can enter the pot, thats a sure way to get into trouble. If you floped the nuts you have to think of the way you can make the most so sometimes slowplaying is ok to let your opponent catch up, just make sure you dont give them free cards to outdraw you, pay attention to board texture.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think slow play isn't a crime if the flop shows the possibility that your opponents could have a bigger hand than you, resulting in a waste of chips or being knocked out. If you know you have the winning hand by the turn, it's not necessary to continue, unless you're out to get as many chips as you can and are out to destroy hands by the time the river card comes into play.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slowplay works well depending on which type of game and how many players in the game there are. the less players there are, the more hyper the blind structure is, the less effective is a slowplay strategy.

Andrey FRIFIN

Andrey FRIFIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, yes, yes, I know your slowplay, I have AA on my hand, I check into the game with a check, my opponents with pockets or any other cards fall into a set or two pairs, and how can I reset AA now? The more players left in the game (they didn’t fold), the less likely they were to pick up a pot, so I am in Raise or Re-Raise with good cards in hand. Taught by experience!)

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every situation is different.

I might bet against people I expect to call me and will make a bet dependent on that. I may slow play against an opponent that I feel is going to bet for me.

Understand what your opponents want to do and what they want you to do and you can take advantage of that.

It is as you describe it, it all depends on the situation you are in and what you perceive from your rivals at that time. I will take the aces against a very aggressive player and I will try to put all his chips in the center alone, and I will play against the 3 bet of a rock and I will try to put my chips in because I think he has a monster and it will be very difficult for him to I let it go, or maybe on one occasion I will do the opposite on both occasions because I perceive that this is the best way to get more profit at that time. Poker is so dual at times and that is why it appeals to us and we play it despite everything.

Understand what your opponents want to do and what they want you to do, and you can take advantage of that. I find the phrase I steal it ;)

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow Play or Not?

Slow playing can be considered old school as well as new school; depending on perspective. Overall, is a conclusive picture of either a tournament or a cash-table game in which your strategy concluded you played overall slow-play mode. In my opinion, slow-play is very effective when played and viewed per hand dealt. Take a hand, 9-4 unsuited, you may elect to call the blind bet and raise before the flop. If the flop is favorable to the 9-4, then I would show aggression simply because there is that possibility that your hand was taken to be high cards or pocket-anything and your 9-4 (favored by flop) is not expected by someone with, say J-K unsuited. Aggression prevents others from hanging in there to actually hit! The one that stays may not hit and the pot is still generous and your odds are better at wining that hand. Many times I have sat at tables where there is always a player or two that constantly raise no matter what they have; and for those that call and after the flop, the two that raise all the time, Check! CAUTION! You can bet the blind amount and see if they really have anything. They may elect to call or raise. Depending on your hand strength you can let them take a lead and make a bet that is out there, then you either slam them or fold. I had a hand where I had pocket 3's and there was no raise. The flop produced K-K-3 which gave me a full-house. I was excited! I slow played and at the River the old man in front of me bet a low two-hundred; I thought of slamming him with an all-in. He had been kind to me at the lobby and I had taken a liking to him so I simply called the bet. He had QUADS! Quad K's. I was so, so happy that I did not get slammed. And I did not get Slammed because I did not let greed over-ride my manners. GOD bless you. Now, go get'em!

Last edited:
A

AllinTheGameY0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
completely depends on who your opponent(s) is.

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that is a good resource that you have in some times in poker. Its great to increase your gains against agressive players.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys

Thanks
if nobody raises , i raise ,then if i got re raise maybe i go all in .depends on the stacks

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a guy in a cc freeroll Hollywood me with kkk when he could not lose
sat for the full-time bank then called. Really annoyed me why can't people just beat you without having to disrespect you ?..

C

C_mac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like slow play because it gives you more hands to think and try to recover from a bad hand, in turbo or hyper you have to decide faster and play weak hands because you do not have time to recover the chips taken out by the blinds

I don't think your understanding the question. It's not the speed of the tournament they're talking about. "Slow playing" is strategy of playing your hand. For example, you get pocket AA, some people will go all in with them because they don't want to risk getting beat by someone holding a poor hand, but catch trips on the flop because they holding 10,5 and two fives hit the board. Other people want to try and get much more value with this monster hand, so they will bet small to entice others to come in, and depending on how the board plays out, they will continue to bet little by little to keep players in. If they make a huge bet, they might scare everyone off. It's a risk because you can get burned, or you can cash out much bigger with your monster hand. Understand?