Is Poker Like the Lottery?

estefanetti

estefanetti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the luck can help you a lot.
But no a lottery, here if you play good you can win a lot. lottery is all luck for me.

G

geokara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no, poker is not a lottery, poker is a game based on maths, pshyhology and knowledge!! sometimes in luck!

Qixxox

Qixxox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's more and more people who plays "lottery" in poker table :mad:, but it should not be like lottery!

Popescu97

Popescu97

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Sometimes poker it s lottery in all in ,in rest is strategy

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not "The Lottery". The odds of winning the lottery are astronomical studying those odds does not increase your chance of winning. Knowing the odds my hand has to win or not is how I am learning to make the correct decisions. Studying different spots and getting with others to get their take on ways to handle different predicaments is another way to get better. The same people win too often in poker for it to be a lottery.:rolleyes:

podoloboq

podoloboq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On the contrary -i not just a lottery, but a lottery, which each of us creates!:aetsch:

igorneia

igorneia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
This is called not a lottery and the relativity of hand strength (often the hands of monsters preflop and the flop might lose its power by the river)!

I have the worst luck in the lottery, I have a high amount of chips and I bet everything seems too bad I always lose with high cards in the pre flop for cards that I would never call a monstrous bet.

K

kingofnaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's entirely up to the player whether to make it like roulette (more appropriate than the lottery since at least sometimes you do win even if you're playing very poorly) or chess.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the worst luck in the lottery, I have a high amount of chips and I bet everything seems too bad I always lose with high cards in the pre flop for cards that I would never call a monstrous bet.
Try to play in poker rooms which offer insurance against pereezdov-- you will be very surprised how often they will not happen!

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had confidence that certain preflop hands would win, but I always end up losing. But, it's not the same as the lottery.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
no but some people play like it is....

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No, in a lottery you have same chances to win then everyone. In poker you can improve your game and change this odds. Specially when your opponents think that poker is a lottery.

T

TheWize1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Brazil is no longer a democracy

Bolsonaro ?
Was he elected

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup

It is not "The Lottery". The odds of winning the lottery are astronomical studying those odds does not increase your chance of winning. Knowing the odds my hand has to win or not is how I am learning to make the correct decisions. Studying different spots and getting with others to get their take on ways to handle different predicaments is another way to get better. The same people win too often in poker for it to be a lottery.:rolleyes:

Yup thing that sucks about poker u can play perfect and still lose doubt that the case in golf or any sport

pro100phil

pro100phil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you go all-in, nothing depends on you anymore. So poker turns into a lottery

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its a bad beat get over it and stop crying like a baby its math its variance you are going to lose a percentage of the time, and if you played bad and now you're blaming luck you're saying that poker is gambling or roulette or whatever you have no right to do that this game is literally more complicated than you can understand even if you have been playing for 10years because its an ever evolving mind game so stop saying bad things about the game that we love and keep these kind of words to yourself.

P

profa1989

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no way to win if you have nothing to do

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker could be like a lottery over a small sample size but over a large sample size it's a game of skill and weighted averages

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how often did you happen to have a 100% confidence on the flop that you should win, and on the river you lose

Regardless what anyone says poker is gambling and when you gamble stuff like that happens, anyone who tells you differently does not know the meaning of the word gambling. But I think thats the whole point of poker. If lets say AA always won, the game would die because everyone would always wait for it. Plus think how often did you get there on the river, its all part of the game.

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In small sample it can be a lottery, but in the long term it is not, it all depends on the skill of each player