Is Poker Like the Lottery?

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is called not a lottery and the relativity of hand strength (often the hands of monsters preflop and the flop might lose its power by the river)!

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am certain that any starting hand against any other starting hand has a better chance to win than any lottery ticket.

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I am certain that any starting hand against any other starting hand has a better chance to win than any lottery ticket.
Unfair/irrelevant comparison, IMHO, because the payout isn't involved. This comparison is similar to—"I am certain that any even/odd roulette bet has a better chance to win than any single number".

Considering how bad some people play poker, it won't be surprising if their chance to profit from the lottery beats their chance to profit from poker... For most people, though (even the loosing ones), poker is going to be way more "profitable".

Poker is a fun game to play, even without the money. The gameplay of the lottery is... lacking. You just try to find the lotto with the best chance for a life-changing win. Then you play multiple combinations of unpopular numbers at once, at a time when the jackpot doesn't draw too many players (since you'll be trying to avoid a split of the win), and that's about it.

It's only worth to play the lottery a few times just to remind the God of Luck about your mere existence. The failure is not certain, unless you never ever try.

As long as you don't risk money you cannot afford to lose, the failure isn't a huge concern, regardless of its certainty. In this regard, poker is like the lottery. Take for example the beginning of a Freeroll. The players haven't invested money or time yet, so some of them really like to play poker like it's a lottery.

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is silly ...

how often did you happen to have a 100% confidence on the flop that you should win, and on the river you lose

it has luck factor but if it is strong enough you will understand that playing right eliminates a large percentage of luck, you just have to be patient and persistent ... play more post flop, analyze the ranges and possible combinations of the your villains based on position and size ... evaluate what range they would pay with .. what range they would give up depending on board poker is a game of information questions and answers ... there is no point paying allin five times AA and losing on the river and thinking that poker is lottery ... give up ...

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
poker is lottery?

Good morning everyone, no, poker is not a lottery, poker is a game of skill, technical and mathematical knowledge.
Professional poker player Phil Hellmuth won 14 bracelets, which proves that the game depends on knowledge and skill.
In a lottery, nothing you do will interfere with the outcome.
In poker, every action you take or not, interferes with the result.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker us nothing like the lottery. The lottery is just a big scam for millions of people to put money into then they hand out a very small portion of what they have collected as a prize. And it is purely just luck to win the lottery. Just the same as slot machines. The only form of gambling I will partake in is poker and sometimes blackjack. Those are the only two games that you have some decision making and have a hand in the outcome. Just about all other forms of gambling are basically just a luck of the draw.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not a lottery, you have more chance to win, and you decide to take the risk or not!

On my mind poker is lottery, but you can raise your chances to win by your skills - no matter online or offline.

E

evgd23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not more than 10%, the rest of the bets is for the players. Organizers of the lottery itself take from 30 to 50 percent of income. Chances of winning the lottery are negligible. The player does not depend on anything, it only helps Fortune.

pneto

pneto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game that combines luck with skill, but some variants have more luck involved than others.

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After yesterday session on partypoker i think it is 99% luck. I had 5 times AA and 2 times KK, all 7 situations i lose going all in pre flop.

pneto

pneto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always has a bit of luck involved, but in the long run the best always wins

freerollz

freerollz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how often did you happen to have a 100% confidence on the flop that you should win, and on the river you lose

I haven't felt this way in a long time.

One can and should aspire to success greater than that which others might ascribe as realistic, however, one should also recalibrate their expectations to match reality, as best as possible.

An accurate assessment leads to a more reliably "profitable" conclusion.

This holds true in poker and in life.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
These 90% on the flop , 95-97% on the turn odds equity being shown in shoves all ins on Stars (I think now also on PartyPoker) are for laughs or cries , depending on the stake , stage of tournament , mood .... Watching the underdog , the stupid hand get it on the river ... These god damn flips don't work man . And almost always a sweat , almost always a f*** sweat utnill the river , if I could count the times I had 100% win on the turn , I guess the fingers of my two hands are enough .......
You can't shove a stupid or less strong hand and win , if you don't have position or enough odds , knowledge of the set up position and situation , that's very bad , cause poker is also a game of luck , some flips do not show the lottery side of poker , but they are known as ''fake flips'' . More luckiness should be rewarded by RNG , this doesn't happen ....

Nanoldb

Nanoldb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clearly not a lottery. if you play it as a lottery it will surely become that, but what they deepen in poker they know is not so.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is how some people play. Look no further than the top of CC leader board and it will quickly be obvious luck is not as big a factor as skill. The more your skill plays a part (good skills) the less luck is even involved. Although luck good or bad will always have the ability to make or break any hand.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is some luck or chance like the lotto, but never underestimate skill and training! Like in any sport yes there are some who can get lucky but those who train hard mind and body win 99% of the time!

Popescu97

Popescu97

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hi

The game of poker it s not like lottery,it s a strategy for making a lot of money .;)

alex_dorda

alex_dorda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course in poker a lot depends on luck and chance, but knowledge and skills reduce their percentage.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
People like poker because it not like the lottery. No skill in lottery.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hello, Nick301274! If consider Poker like Lottery, I think, maybe not need to play in Poker generally, because, possibly,
this is on subconscious level, and therefore everytime, when You will lose, You will think: " I every time lose, because Poker
is a Lottery..." But Poker, first of all, is intellectual game, where luck is only part (and not basic) of this great game! :cool:
P. S. The all problems in our heads, which we yourself and create...:rolleyes:

T

Tolyanchemp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker differs from the lottery in that you do not need to think in the lottery

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ll only say for the room on which I play. At pokerstars, the game is increasingly turning into a lottery (at least in tournaments), and the influence of the player’s skill on the results is reduced. This is due to the transition to a more turbine tournament structure or something else, I don’t know. But recently, it often happens that preflop you win allin for example with KK against QQ, and you think: "I’m so lucky !!" You can never be 100% sure. I personally do not like the politics of the stars in recent years.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a lottery.

A lottery is 100% chance. You can adjust how much of a chance you have based on how many tickets you buy, but it is all chance.

Poker on the other hand is a game of negotiation. You negotiate with the other players in the hand until one of you submits, or the cards tell you who wins. This negotiation is the key.
I've read of a woman that won a tournament with a post-it note over her hole cards. The whole tournament she never even saw them. She played her postition and stack against the other players' positions, stacks, and personalities. Is it a fluke that she won a tournament? Yes - but only in that when you get to heads up, it's going to go to a showdown eventually, but getting to that heads up position started with a boat load of negotiating skill.

Some might say that because that last hand is always a showdown, that all the skill aspects are lost there. I can see that point of view, but you have to remember tow things. One - You have to get to that final showdown, which requires skill; Two - you get to choose when that showdown happens, which again requires skill.

Winning poker players do not worry about variance, they play enough hands, in the bast way that the odds work to their favor.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Tournaments are like lotteries that you can improve your chance.