Is Poker Like the Lottery?

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lottery? kkk
have you seen the world lottery champion?
the best hand on the flop, losing on the river happens .. it is part of the variance.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

how often did you happen to have a 100% confidence on the flop that you should win, and on the river you lose

I have never had 100% confidence in a poker hand ... Except once I made a quad on the flop they did not allow a straight. Poker is not luck. Lottery is luck. Poker is probability. You assess how likely you are to win, place your bet and start praying. If you have a good hand, you are more likely to win. Only that. Betting or not is at your own risk.

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no because there is lots of skill included in poker. The lottery you just pay and pray no skill at all.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

No way . Most poker games are games of skill However I do consider high stakes Omaha
to be a lotery tipe game.

PavelTimofeev16

PavelTimofeev16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it seems that poker is a lottery, especially in SnG.

alex_dorda

alex_dorda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Poker - lottery - it's just hyperturbo and freerolls) everything happens quickly, and few people appreciate the stack. Frequent all-in games turn the game into a coin. But the more experience, the less the influence of chance on the game.

tagog

tagog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it often happens to me when you win and on the river they give him a card

Darwinjose14

Darwinjose14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no because there is lots of skill included in poker

Adrian2809

Adrian2809

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think poker is a lottery, for those who only play big cards or only in pairs it is definitely a lottery for them, but for the old ones who play the card how they should play it, that is, a bluff or raise good in his place is a strategy well done by that player. good luck to all.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion only preflop all in is lottery.
When you see flop,you know what is right decision so we can't call that lottery,but preflop all in is.

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker is 30% ability and 70% luck. Lottery depense 100% on luck!

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not consider playing poker as a lottery, because you need to have some skills to win in the long run. Of course, luck also plays a key role, but in my opinion, not the most important thing.

winpot301

winpot301

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If i get a Straight Royal on the flop , i am100 percent sure that i will win the hand .

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of the game!

I do feel this in play money games no matter the buy-in size and freerolls as well. But I don’t consider a lottery in real money games above $1,5. It’s just a feeling, but I’m newbie and can’t say properly.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, lottery is just luck. Poker is a primarily skill based game with a bit of a luck factor.

T

Taktik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is undoubtedly not a lottery, I think that this is an intellectual game with a percentage of luck, since in this game there are many components that affect the outcome, starting from reading opponents, the ability to play on the map, etc. but as in any sport, there must be luck.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because I've only been playing online poker for approximately two years, I can only speculate and read about how much more prosperous online poker was ten, fifteen years ago. But I think that the lottery analogy is a good one for online poker today. I don't know how anyone can navigate the extreme variance that exists in online poker today successfully over a long period of time. I just don't believe that this is possible.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker and lottery are not the same. Lottery is just luck, and poker is ability, maths and luck! :biggrin:

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker is an intellectual game with a percentage of luck, since in this game there are many components that affect the outcome, starting from reading opponents to what the poker gods want to bring out from the deck. So no its not lottery.

paisley

paisley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not like the lottery. The only thing you can do to make it more likely you will win the lottery is buy more tickets. Whereas if you're playing poker, there are lots of things you can do to personally influence the game and thereby increase your chance of winning a hand. Yes, the cards you're dealt in poker are random, but how you behave with them is not.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Because I've only been playing online poker for approximately two years, I can only speculate and read about how much more prosperous online poker was ten, fifteen years ago. But I think that the lottery analogy is a good one for online poker today. I don't know how anyone can navigate the extreme variance that exists in online poker today successfully over a long period of time. I just don't believe that this is possible.

And yet there are still many who are able to. How can this be so:confused:

(imo) Tournament poker IS like the lottery.... but the good players are showing up with many more tickets! :D

Seriously though... My thoughts are >>> anyone in this thread who believes that poker is just like a lottery (I'm assuming they mean 'tournament poker' ?), just doesn't know very much about the game.

The difference in today's game (vs. 10+ years ago) is that there are a higher percentage of good, knowledgeable players vs. newer recreational players. 10+ yrs. ago many of the players weren't very good & didn't have the availability of information like there is today. Today there are STILL a good number of not so good players but at higher buyins online the fields are infested with sharks. (even in the low buyins & micro buyins) you'll find a large number of decent players.
During this pandemic it is reminding me of the old days of Online Poker. Unfortunately I have not been able to play much at all :( ... but am feeling like I have been really missing out. (the little bit I have played had me shocked at the difference in play on the tables (cash game > micro/low limits). It was amazing! And what would typically be a bad time of day to play (ie. 08:00 to 15:00 Euro time) when the tables are FILLED with regulars.... it is now no longer the case.

Last edited:
Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not like the lottery, because there is skill involved. At least a lot in Texas Holdem. The only format, which is near the lottery is the tournament format, especially if there are only a few prizes or winner takes it all. Or a tourney like the Sunday Million with 60k players or something, where you wont win it in a lifetime, even if you the strongest player. MTTs however are like a magnet to lottery style players, thats for sure.