Is Poker Like the Lottery?

A

aditzaH8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is nothing like the lottery!The question doesn't make any sense!Maybe to people who don't have any clue about poker may seem like the lottery! :)

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not call poker a lottery, skill plays a decent role here.

It's a shame when the opponent gets their cards on the turn and river and takes your pot, but then you can look at the situation differently. You have to decide what is best for you: go to the showdown and give your opponent a chance to catch your cards - in this case you will either win a big pot or lose a lot, or you can make big bets on the flop, trying to force your opponent to fold - in this case you will win a lot of small pots.

There will never be justice in poker, because people play against people, and everyone has their own justice.:)

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes when looser players call with any two cards.

D

DenGybka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I think that poker is a kind of lottery, because regardless of your playing skills, you can lose at any time.

Mohamed48

Mohamed48

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Of course not and no
Poker for smart
Lottery for idiots

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Poker in the micro and low buy-in is lottery, players out there doesn't know ranges, 3bet...etc think about it, on a flop 932 and you are the preflop aggressor with AA, if you move all-in you'll get called by someone holding the 9Jo and hit his J on the river.
Pushing with KK after a R/RR/RRR and V is holding 88 and hit his 8 on the Turn.
4betting in the BB with AA and UTG moves ALL-in with KJs and hit 2pairs on the flop, and bust you out.
Plenty and a lots of example like that on the micro and low buy-in MTTs. However if you play some 33$ and higher buy-in you'll notice the difference in play, your bluffs will work often especially if Villain is holding one pair, 3bets and 4bets are respected...etc
I think that every player should choose the right limits that he's confortable with, that's the starting point where you'll be either a winning player or a losing one.

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The enigmatic is the exciting...

More than luck is the way of knowing how to play, according to my knowledge and in the years that I have played poker I think that it is based on 30% luck and the other 70% on the style of playing.
In the case, in which you are running low on the stack, the luck is that it will come out and you will only go with high cards, there is already 90% based on luck and the other 10% on deciding when to go. Greetings to all friends and good luck at the tables :D:D

P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kkk yes because they are very difficult to win in them

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No not one bit. The only similarity is that luck exists in both forms of gambling. Though, the lottery is just pure and total luck. Poker has aspects of skill, patience, logic and focus. While luck exists in poker, there are much more important aspects to poker.

The lottery is purely throwing money at something and hoping you win. (100% luck)

Poker is a skill game with luck playing a part occasionally.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, more often than we would like)))

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I think that due to the pandemic and the quarantine there are more players who just start and pay or go all in with garbage too many times, that's why I lost many hands that I thought I had won until the turn and lost it on the river. So I think today is more lottery than strategy, especially in low-entry tournaments.

I'm not quite sure how this comparison works. There are hands that have a higher percent chance of winning versus other hands, and by virtue of picking those hands to play you have a higher chance of winning. In the lottery no numbers have a higher chance of winning versus others so each player has the same odds of winning money, so your lottery analogy doesn't really work.

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Growing up, I used to gamble a lot on any kinds of sports that I knew about and lottery, numbers, horse races... everything that was available and I got zero out of most of it except football which I had a working safe formula but the winnings werent that decent. Why? because playing these requires you to be massively lucky to hit it big. While in poker you control your luck, and if you're good enough ( skills, discipline and understanding fundamentals) it pays off.'' Poker is a skill game disguised as a luck game ''as they say.

People who know the ins and outs of Poker know as a fact that poker isn't like the lottery.

I

icaroferrarini

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Off course the hability to play is necessary, but some times it is like lotery. You need lucky to win, but the good players control more the game and less the chances to play with the lucky.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Luck is the main thing in both the lottery and poker. There is more luck in poker, in the lottery there is luck 1 time in a million:)

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is not a lottery! otherwise anyone would become a professional. What I think is that in online poker there are many players who do not know anything about poker and it does not matter to them to play in any way ... They risk and do not play thinking. But if you study and learn the chances are greater to win.

Thiagon

Thiagon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think it's a lottery. But the question of luck varies a lot depending on the level of the opponents. In freeroll games the luck factor must be taken into account. And the more expensive the tournament, raising the level of the opponents the luck becomes less relevant.

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ssometimes I really wanted to stop playing poker but then I still played euromillions or "win for life" for example and just wasting some cash, realising soon that the odds are so bad and I just wanted to play poker again lol..