NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is poker harder than chess?
In an any case, what is your opinion?

I would like to refine the question a bit.

Is poker harder to master than chess?
Is poker harder to win than chess?

I believe chess is the harder game to master. Chess is seriously a thinking game. Good poker is a thinking game as well, but the variables are fairly limited. Your opponent only has three choices (Call, Raise, or Check/Fold), and only 4 total moves (preflop, flop, turn and river). Is this the equivalent of a game of chess with only 3 pieces (instead of 16) and a maximum qty of 4 moves per game (instead of 40-60)? Not really, i am just trying to convey the complexity of chess in comparison to poker.

As for is poker harder to win? The real problem with poker is the lack of information. Your opponents cards are hidden, and the community cards are unknown. This seriously makes poker harder to win. The poker masters have figured out how to deal with these unknowns.

A poker master cannot win EVERY tournament he plays. A chess master may be able to win EVERY game he plays.

Poker is harder to win. Chess is a more difficult game to master.

N

Newstyle_1704

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is much more difficult than chess.
Only two people participate in chess and there you know the situation of the opponent on the map
A greater number of people at the same table participate in poker and you do not know which cards they have

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess is more "difficult" so to speak than poker, for the simple fact that a chess champion is always going to beat an amateur in a 1 vs 1, while in poker thanks to the variance, an amateur is able to beat a pro. Chess is a game of 100% skill, poker is not

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are completely different games. I find it difficult to compare them.

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Obviously, yes, if we are talking about 4max + tables.
The chess is harder than HU in poker.
Heads-Up is almost a matter of luck.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all.....chess is a simple brain game with no random factors..so poker should be harder with bad beats....darrell

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is simply more complicated because math, many concepts, game changes every year, but chess is harder to master to be on top. I understood it when I tried to be a better chess player. With good coach you can be a really good poker player very soon. In chess it doesn't work like that. You can't be on top level in chess in 2-4 years when It's possible in poker. Good examples are Linus and Limitless. so ye. Chess is much harder.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess players make good poker players since they are used to being analytical and understand how their decisions affect the outcomes of each game.

Good luck to you!

hi all , as a former chess player (gave it up for poker) , I agree with the above , that being said the work is the work, as in chess as in poker, for some of us (self taught) , both games need lots of work tactically, strategically and mentally (internally) , I have learnt most when I'm reflecting on my games and honest approach to find progress, you could say chess has more need for accurate memory of openings,positions, tactical memes etc... whereas in poker the mind is freed up for other things (day dreaming = pronounced as studying rivals at a table)
the mental warfare is very similar though and strength in this area is vital, levelling exists in both games imo , the only difference is in chess you can prepare (homecook) something special for a particular opponent, you can also do that to some extent in poker, but limited by what the cards thowup at times, and some preparations can "walk" your plan into a huge killer hand !
poker in general is easier so anyone with any level of experience can play, this has a great benefit to poker players who are experienced and can find an edge, in this way poker is way more successful than chess, .
another similarity is the "plateaux" effect , this is common in most sports , prevalent in mental ones more as in theory "nothing is holding you back from success" , contrary to physical sports , each of us will have to find our own way to combat this if it happens to them, to all those I say faith and fight on, use your imagination and stubborness to great effect ....lol
* what was the question again * :p ;)

Last edited:
ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that most of promising Chess players in my close circles (including strongest chess player in Finland) have made their money in poker. I have actually met more of my secondary school classmates at poker tournaments around the world than in elsewhere. I guess that major main problem with chess is to monetize your knowledge -> most players who have capabilities in Chess / Magic: The Gathering or any other such games were able to monetize their knowledge was poker.

At the end, Chess is not very forgivable for underdogs. It has no chance to get people who are clearly underdogs to play for real money.
yes , to add to this I once predicted that we will see more migration of chess players to poker , including pro chess players , the reason is the top say 2 in the world in chess will play a championship with prize money only around 4million or so total , this is a small amount compared to the amount of work and sacrifice these players have done to get to this point , really ! I felt a lot of chess players who have only put say 20% of this effort are now successfully playing poker by comparison, so saving themselves mentally and physically , maybe chess tournaments in future could take something from poker and each player buys in for x amount + sponsorship , I'm sure it is done but just not enough numbers as poker , some sports are purely about finding sponsorship which fits their product somehow into the sport, they're exceptions , Golf for example is hardly sponsored by gold equipment companies ( Nike is more clothing in general than equipment) of course I stand to be corrected about this as I haven't googled it , also boils down to how easy for viewers to be excited about and to watch live and on TV etc , tv money is huge ,
end of speech for now :)

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that poker is more difficult than chess, because you can't lose so much money in chess.)))))):elefant:

S

Suprymo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2 different games in any to be good requirements of your lets say brain operating system is different, one more depends on memory (chess) other more depends on people reading skills (poker), both could be similar in tactics but again, different tactic styles require different visualization and etc. approach. Im terrible at chess, yet i can tell about person wholes life just with few small talks, and i defiantly can read people in poker, that means im monster in poker if taked only this one aspect, mathematics again different talk.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think with chess you have to think much more moves ahead so I would say chess is harder.

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is more difficult to master. In chess you receive 100% of the data on the board to make it certain that one move is better than the other. In poker there are too many unknown variables for the game to ever be mastered and "beaten". You are never 100% certain of the cards your opponents hold which makes it impossible for you to draw the correct conclusion 100% of the time.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha , in terms of which is harder , lets ask this ... for those who have played both
how many tournaments of each have you won ? lol , online and live ?
I guess most of us have won a poker tournament , :)

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are the two games that I like the most, each one has its difficulties and characteristics, which demand certain abilities.
In my opinion chess is more difficult, when you find a superior player you have nothing to do, just watch him humiliate you. In poker you have the chance to take a bit more luck and overcome your opponents.
In chess everything is clear and defined, while in the poker game there is a lot of hidden things that you can not guess or predict.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play both. Chess is harder to crack the top. I've played $100+ sit-n-go's with some really big poker names at the table. And, occasionally, won. Any of the the top Chess player beat me 1000 times in 1000.
There is no Chris Moneymaker of Chess. There never will be.
I prefer playing poker. I love the game. It's fun. I respect the game of Chess.
It's apples and oranges though. What's more is important, air or water?
.....and, I don't think either game is a sport. This "mental sport" bs.
A phrase clearly coined by someone who could never throw a baseball or shoot a basket. It takes slightly more athletic ability to take a really big dump than to play poker or chess.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's harder to win a single game of poker than a single chess match, even a one on one series.

If you completely outclass an opponent in chess you should win a 9 game series in 5 straight games. In poker that's not likely to happen.

S

Stormforge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're comparing apples to oranges, I think.

Not only are there a ton of poker variants, but you could be facing up to 10 opponents at a time when playing poker.

Just for these reasons I'd say poker as a whole is a lot more complex than chess.

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not doubt that! Chess is far more complicated game than poker.

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both games need a Mathemathical approcah but when it comes to Playing Chess vs Playing poker Poker is somehow more complex than Chess and needs a lot of focus and undertsanding of opponents and ranges beside the randomness of cards to be distributed.
If Poker is still the same game as it was in the mid 1990s it will be calculated and less complex than it is nowadays.

S

superspeed727

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is a skill based game requiring years of practice to master the patterns. Poker much more about luck and controlling ones emotions. If you consistently make the right decisions in chess, you should not lose. However, in poker you can do everything right and lose all your bankroll.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're comparing apples and oranges here. They both involve a lot of thinking, but just different thinking.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

To orchestrate a beautiful building it takes many workers many of witch have there own game. The game actually correlate with American Football and Baseball. Where the fans use cell phone techniques to get a player to do well or make a routine play. Other games are needed for the players to get a good sports bet. It usually wants all games but it usually can only have one winner per ten thousand participants. Those with fewer participants are grouped together and put in a tournament where they see how good you are at all the games involved. Winner take all. If your smart when on top you take your labor job. However, you can stay on top and the kids gun for you.

I took dishes after programming computers and winning on pokerstars (played with a lot of regulars long enough) and dancing on fulltilt (won on table 409 witch became 407) and partypoker (doubled Jimmys money) and other sites. Then came to fullflush beat some of the boys before it closed. Danced with lawyers on ACR. and now trying to make a home at intertops.

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think Chess is harder than poker strategically and also in abstract thinking due to its complexity and various possible future plays depending on the next move.

On the other hand, poker is harder in terms of all the emotions in play at every moment, as well as the psychology involved in it.