Is Poker Harder Than Chess?

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with the ending of your speech. I know many chess players who are terribly easy to bluff and are too tight passive to ever profit in poker. All good chess players suck Terribly at playing against LAG heavy playstyle because they make it so blatant when they can be bluffed or how strong their hand is. My father is a good chess player and I can barely cope against him at the game but in poker I wipe the floor with him heads-up.

You know some chess players who are bad at poker, so this proves that no chess players are successful at poker?

Dan Harrington and Jennifer Shahade come to mind right away, and I'm sure a Google search would come up with other names.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You know some chess players who are bad at poker, so this proves that no chess players are successful at poker?

Dan Harrington and Jennifer Shahade come to mind right away, and I'm sure a Google search would come up with other names.

You bring up exceptions to say that I was bringing up exceptions... LOL!

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with the ending of your speech. I know many chess players who are terribly easy to bluff and are too tight passive to ever profit in poker. All good chess players suck Terribly at playing against LAG heavy playstyle because they make it so blatant when they can be bluffed or how strong their hand is. My father is a good chess player and I can barely cope against him at the game but in poker I wipe the floor with him heads-up.

Madman, I have highlighted an important word in your quote above. Do you know what that word means?

You claim that ALL chess players fail against a commonly played poker style. Your claim is incorrect.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is harder in that you do not have perfect information in which to make your decisions or different boards that change how you play.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While chess is a 100% informational game, both players have all the information, in poker there is a place for psychology, bluffing, risk, randomness.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you cant comapre, one is pure strategy, the other has some probabilities in it

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see nothing in common between poker and chess, I think it's a totally different game

cazual88

cazual88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that chess is a much more complicated game than poker. It's because you need to think through all possible moves of an opponent in advance. For me it's too complicated. Poker just is a math

M

Makoto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Uh

That's like comparing apples to oranges for sweetness

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The degree of skill in chess is significantly higher. As you said, there is no tilt, and no luck in chess. Yes, moves get overlooked due to rushing or just not viewing the entire board, but if you make the better moves, you win. In poker, you can do everything perfectly and lose because of the randomness of card distribution. Poker may be more emotionally demanding because of the luck factor, but chess is by far the tougher game. A poker player will use math to calculate potential hands, and try to get a read on their opponent. A chess player must take each potential opponent move, and play it forward for several moves (as a child I was told 8 moves ahead). In short, your hand in poker is random, whereas, in chess, the game is entirely in your hands.
I was a chess player and i now play poker. Your explanation is spot on in my opinion

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not played chess for a long time but I think both games are very technical, poker is a little easier because of the luck issue, and chess involves a lot of attention in each movement, each game has its difficulty and ease, everything depends on your choices and concentration .

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker, in contrast to chess, is a more psychological game and luck also plays a big role, chess is closer to math.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chess poker

two cmpletly different things.
how can we compere apples with oranges ?????
by the way ....i love both of these ...but i prefer poker.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is a more limited hame than poker. Every game starts with the same way with the pawns at the same position, so the first moves are some specific moves and then it gets mote interesting
In poker from the beginning the only thing you know is just two cards from the 52 and you just see the other players. What comes next, is a battle which is unique and you do not know for sure anything even woth aces.
So poker is something tougher than chess!
If you want to compare chess with poker,
you have to look at heads-up poker otherwise it isn't fair.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I think we can't compare both games, the only similarity I see is that both are mental games.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, you can make the right :pdecision and still lose, and in poker more players are more often.:bike:

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is a more complex game.We have the opening than middle game,and the end game.
Chess doesn't have turn or river but has blunder! (A move that we lost)
In chess we do not need luck,we need repetition .

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yy

Hello there.Poker vs chess has a big difference the LUCK .If you are top skilled at poker luck always can destroy your game .I think about poker is 60 % skill -40 % luck .In chess only skill matters.I suppose you can be a very good poker player if you are good at chess (poker has traps like chess ).

G

GameTooHard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a question of which game is more tuned to what you find easier to work with.

Poker - A game of limited information and with that comes variance and luck. This is less of a pure strategy game as a large part of the analysis comes from unreliable information.

Chess - A game of full information. There is no luck involved as your opponent is not guaranteed to be privy to any information that you aren't. Pure strategy.

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
These are completely different games. They can not be compared

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker and chess are much different games. In chess when you are better player and play lets say 20 games with weaker player you will won all or almost all of them. In poker this is not always the case and that makes the game very interesting and unpredictable.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, as others have said, they're different games because of the required skills and so a player needs to develop certain areas depending on the game. Poker is limited information, chess isn't, football is physical, water polo is in water... you get it. They both require a tremendous amount of skill but in different areas and thus no sport is "harder" than any other because they can't be compared fairly.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a chess player, but from what I understand you must think many moves ahead, to beat or trap your opponent. Nothing random seems to happen, as in the deal of cards in poker, it's all skill. Poker is certainly easier from the mental part of the game, but is much harder from the psychological part of the game where there are so many random factors that can determine the outcome.