Is Poker Harder Than Chess?

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have answered you own question. From logical perspective, obviously, chess is far harder, there are more possibilities to consider, more possibilities that are not so obvious to untrained eye. But on the other hand, poker is far more demanding from other perspectives. Like tilting, BRM, bluffs (that are impossible in chess) and so on.
It depends on your skills and whom are you playing with. All in all, I do not think you can say any game is easyer. But the logical brain input is certainly more demanding in chess.

Royal_074

Royal_074

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is game of luck, some mathematics, experience; chess is only mathematics and experience.. I think chess is harder, poker is more emotional game

N

neiltur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the two are difficult to require a different skill level.

M

mr_poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And in poker and chess, you need to think about a variety of options for the development of the situation, but there is an element of luck in poker.

A

alextepi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

In an any case, what is your opinion?

how can you compare this two games!?
chess is for a different type of people, it's not gambling

LeonardBuda

LeonardBuda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

In an any case, what is your opinion?
The main difference between Poker and Chess is that with Poker, you can't see your opponent's cards but you can see what he's doing based on preflop action and post flop board, but with Chess, you can see all your opponent's pieces even though you don't know what they're planning to do with those pieces.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In poker each hand is like one whole chess macth, the "edge" in poker is not so big, we just can observe it in the long term. In chess instead having not bad beats, it is deeper about the moves previews. Both are logical, solution and decision games.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Playing chess there is always the right answer to be found.
Each street in poker can hold a different question, every opponent a different set of skills and even if you find the right solution there is a percentage chance you will still lose.
My chess skills are good, however I find poker a greater challenge.:)

C

CHAVIKI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I think poker is easier, but it all depends wich one ypu like the most

ElArcanoXIII

ElArcanoXIII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think chess can be compared with poker , Chess is game read your opponent

Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is a lot harder I believe as I don't think there is luck it's all down to knowledge

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
A beginner could never beat a grandmaster or even rarely any experienced player in a classical chess game. In poker even new players can catch a lucky streak and do well for a short while, even long enough for them to come to believe they are great at the game.

As you play more and more of both games you become familiar will the nuances and will understand how the luck factor really makes these games fall into different categories.

If people put in the time to train in poker like titled players do in chess the differences wouldn't be as clear. But most people in poker reach the point where they can win and stop trying to get better or get so frustrated with losing and bad beats they give up entirely.

Chess players make good poker players since they are used to being analytical and understand how their decisions affect the outcomes of each game.

Good luck to you!

I disagree with the ending of your speech. I know many chess players who are terribly easy to bluff and are too tight passive to ever profit in poker. All good chess players suck Terribly at playing against LAG heavy playstyle because they make it so blatant when they can be bluffed or how strong their hand is. My father is a good chess player and I can barely cope against him at the game but in poker I wipe the floor with him heads-up.

Huble

Huble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is called the sport of mind with a reason,I think chess beats poker at thinking and focusing

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think chess can be compared with poker , Chess is game read your opponent
No, you don't read your opponent in Chess. You follow perfect set moves based on invincible combination of pieces all guarding each other.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the two games are difficult

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chess and poker are so different , chess all is skill and poker we need skills and lucky

fialhosm

fialhosm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think poker is easier than chess.
In chess at least we can see the opponents movements, whereas in poker many times what ends up prevailing is the luck of his or her opponent.

V

Verfox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both are strategy games but besides that they have little in common

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Depending on what is your purpose doing this. When you are playing in poker to earn money you will use all your toolkit (skills, luck, experience). Playing chess, you want to get sense of superiority in front of opponent that's why if you dont have skills well dont try even. Otherwise i dont see the reason to play chess.

pizdarijaa

pizdarijaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is sometimes just luck, while chess is wise and thinking.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no definitive answer to this question. But there is at least one way in which poker has been proven to be harder than chess.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) has been consistently beating the best human chess players for a decade.

But only this year has AI been able to beat some of the best humans in heads-up no-limit hold'em. AI has not been able to consistently beat the top human players yet in multi-player hold'em.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a tough questions, I would have to say chess is harder than poker from personal experience although there are some pretty good arguments here that poker may be also lol idk.

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is a very difficult game, but I find poker more complicated because there are so many different aspects there.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ya in chess the chances of losing money are less because people dont generally bet on it, but theres more skill in chess i guess.