Is Poker Harder Than Chess?

Marctowin

Marctowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think so. Both games require enormous mental strain and patience for long hours of play.

L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think that poker is harder than chess. At least in chess, you have equal opportunities and everything depends on you

D

Deemajor44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think chess is harder because it takes alot more skill playing chess i think. Basically there is more luck when playing cards but i agree with the emotional part you are talking about!!!

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think chess is a way harder game. I'm still learning how to play it now. I like the game though. Really makes you think about your moves.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My step-father is a grandmaster and he stopped playing professionally. I think it's because he got his ass handed to him by young kids who played 10x more games in a year than he did in his lifetime on the internet. Look at the world rankings, almost all of them are under the age of 30. There are only so many moves and lines you can do in chess. Anyone can play a million games of chess and become great. In poker that will always remain to be seen.

penamala

penamala

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think both are comparable to a surten level. Altho chess is all skill while poker is a mix of skill, reading people and luck

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I am an international chess FIDE rating of 2120. In chess there is no equivalent term "inclination". For the equivalent of bad beats do not exist in chess. There is something called supervision, where a player makes a mistake, which is not expected from its level of skills. But this is not a bad rhythm.

Poker is much more emotionally demanding. Now I'm not convinced that poker is more difficult. Poker is a high level is somewhat mechanical, like chess at a high level. In chess the best players put their brains only 5-6 places in 60 matches. Similarly, in poker's best players play on average 20-30% of hands and broken brains in 3-4 hands. I'm not sure because I am a novice in poker.

In any case, what is your opinion?
Yao glad that you tried to compare chess to poker and I'm trying to compare them ponyakoga.Igraya chess for 22 years and poker two:Dstructures defined both games can not be compared why each is unique in itself but both need skills in poker and even luckier:help::help::help:

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My step-father is a grandmaster and he stopped playing professionally. I think it's because he got his ass handed to him by young kids who played 10x more games in a year than he did in his lifetime on the internet. Look at the world rankings, almost all of them are under the age of 30. There are only so many moves and lines you can do in chess. Anyone can play a million games of chess and become great. In poker that will always remain to be seen.
hi , ask him to try poker , I'm pretty sure he'll become very good very soon , just a hunch :)

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think chess is harder than poker as in chess there's no luck factor all is depend on your opponent move. In poker just not that much moves and combinations as in chess and in poker you can get lucky and win big it's never gonna happen in chess against better players.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, chess is a more complicated game than poker. In poker there is always an element of luck. Chess is a 100% strategic game and rely on luck is unacceptable.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
No doubt poker and chess are absolutely different games that can not be compared. Chess is a tactical game in which everything depends on the skill of the player.
Good luck.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer to the first post of this thread is YES, Poker is harder than Chess. In chess, the game is a one on one, and players have to just consider one opponents strategy.
In poker, the game can be one vs one, or one vs many. Players have to consider multiple strategies for multiple players and/or multiple hands.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thunk chess is much harder than poker , luck don t play a major role in chess , so you won’t win chess games with luck , but you can do so in poker , cuz even fishes win sometimes something in poker .

Beardownman

Beardownman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play both. There is a lot of strategy involved in each. But there is no luck at Chess.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can play chess but not very well. I like poker much more. If you compare these two games, then poker I think is just much more interesting !!!

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

In an any case, what is your opinion?

In my opinion, chess is much harder than poker. In chess, to create a particular move you need to create several other moves from behind the scene on an anticipation that what would be your opponent's move. But if you opponent made an unexpected move then whole planning has to be changed or adjusted. The problem is while you are moving in one direction, you have to retreat and make a new planning in defense as well as aggression.
Chess is a game where a chain of planning from various directions are required. But if at certain point chain is broken by opponent's move then a new chain need to be created.
In short, you must have a plan-A and then there must be plan-B and plan-C and so on to back you up. In case plan-A fails then you can depend on other plans. It is highly a mental game. More deep you can think or more stand-by plans you can make, more successful you would be.
Poker is also a mental game. It depends mainly on probability theory. Since a deck of card only contains 52 cards so all probabilities can be calculated. A good player can explore all the possibilities and can predict up to certainty what the possible outcome would be and if necessary he can change or adjust his decisions. And that is how they win.
On the other hand, a losing player often don't take into consideration all possibilities. They think in general terms, not deep enough to apprehend that something negative or a bad beat may occur and not prepared to combat with that situation. And that is how they lose more.
I play and enjoy both the games. I love to use my brain more than my body.

BilNicholson

BilNicholson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes because of variance

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, Go is harder than both by a long shot. I have been playing for about a year and still have yet to play a game on a full size board. It is so hard, sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I am doing, even though I do.

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that chess is more difficult, but I'm not exactly sure.

Last edited:
Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No... Chess is much more difficult 'cause there's no luck at all, it's pure memory and reasoning ability. Only being a genius and having a high IQ to do well in the competitive chess, already in poker, not so much...

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
poker is much easier... i play chess online (3-10 games a week) and still make blunder moves regurarly. but i've started online chess only 4 months ago so my blundering should be understandable.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a chess lover, I will say that it is more difficult, these two games have a lot in common. This is evidenced by the fact that many chess players play professional poker, as here you can earn more than on the already lost popularity of this sport with pieces on the board. Many people use skills wisely.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm absolutely sure not. But maybe you don't even have to compare. Let's say we wouldn't beat 1 chess world champion with great luck. :)

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
definitely not . Chess is deprived of the luck factor

manuela2910

manuela2910

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a chess player with an international FIDE rating of 2120. There is no equivalent term of 'tilt' in chess. Because, equivalent of bad beats don't exist in chess. There is something called oversight, where a player makes a mistake that isn't expected of his skill level. But, that is not bad beat.

Poker is far more emotionally demanding. Now, I am not stating with conviction that poker is tougher. High level poker is somewhat mechanical, like high level chess. In chess the best players rack their brains only during 5-6 positions in a 60 move game. Similarly, in poker the best players play on an average 20-30% of their hands and rack their brains in 3-4 hands. I am not too sure, as I am a beginner in poker.

In an any case, what is your opinion?

Chess is pure skilled Game but in Poker we need luck.