and made me think.
i wonder what else i don't know.......

R

revlinpinto79

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read Ace on the river, such an interesting book.

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just finished " Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players " by David Sklansky , Ray Zee, and Mason Malmuth. I really enjoyed it. I now have all of Ray Zee's books, but I highly recommend this book to any 7 card stud players.

Attachments

• 51KI00Jd3xL._SL210_.jpg
    51KI00Jd3xL._SL210_.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 95
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just finished " Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players " by David Sklansky , Ray Zee, and Mason Malmuth. I really enjoyed it. I now have all of Ray Zee's books, but I highly recommend this book to any 7 card stud players.

I want to get this. Any other 7 card stud suggestions?

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to get this. Any other 7 card stud suggestions?
Winning 7 card stud
by Ashley Adams

Hi-Lo split poker for advanced players
by Ray Zee

How to beat 7 card stud poker
by Paul Kammen

7 card stud:42 lessons How to win at low and mid stakes
by Roy West

7 card stud Hi-Lo split for intermediates
by Andy Nelson

I could go on forever.
I think Amazon or Ebay has all of these books.
I hope this helps.
:bandit:

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning 7 card stud
by Ashley Adams

Hi-Lo split poker for advanced players
by Ray Zee

How to beat 7 card stud poker
by Paul Kammen

7 card stud:42 lessons How to win at low and mid stakes
by Roy West

7 card stud Hi-Lo split for intermediates
by Andy Nelson

I could go on forever.
I think Amazon or Ebay has all of these books.
I hope this helps.

Thanks. I am a beginner at stud, but looking at maybe getting more into it, as well as omaha.

I need to check out your SN on the sites I play stud at, cause I think it may be a good idea to avoid confrontations with you...:)

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks. I am a beginner at stud, but looking at maybe getting more into it, as well as omaha.

I need to check out your SN on the sites I play stud at, cause I think it may be a good idea to avoid confrontations with you...:)
Hi lo split poker by Ray Zee is what you want it is a half Hi-lo Stud and Hi-Lo Omaha book.

If you have any ?'s about Stud feel free to ask.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the theory of poker is still the first poker book you should read.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm really glad that The Theory of Poker wasn't the first poker book that I read. I'm glad that I read it, but not as the first book.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm really glad that The Theory of Poker wasn't the first poker book that I read. I'm glad that I read it, but not as the first book.
Absolutely know what you mean - me too.

B

bigphatmike

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
has any1 read poker books
if so which poker book

did that book help r improve your game
how did it help r improve ur game

im reading a few books rite now n have read tons of Articles
the books im reading now r
Doyle Brunson's Super System - A Course in Power Poker
Full Tilt Poker Tips From The Pros
Hold'em Brain (King Yao)

and they all have helped me i think in some way
and improved my game i think
Hey buddy just a few words for thought,
A true poker player doesnt read poker books, i beleive good poker is EARNED by esperience, a poker book can tell you options and oppurtunities to look for, from their own personal experiences, they can tell youwhat to look for however your not gonna get any better experience unless by actually playing A LOT of poker. i have never read any books and i have done well. not saying i wasnt horrible when i began.. but experience made me what i am today
HOPE THAT HELPS!
TTYL

G

genleemb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A true poker player doesnt read poker books, i beleive good poker is EARNED by esperience, a poker book can tell you options and oppurtunities to look for, from their own personal experiences, they can tell youwhat to look for however your not gonna get any better experience unless by actually playing A LOT of poker. i have never read any books and i have done well. not saying i wasnt horrible when i began.. but experience made me what i am today
HOPE THAT HELPS!
TTYL
notsureifserious.jpg

Books are one of many tools a poker play can use ... they can help your game if used properly.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
notsureifserious.jpg

Books are one of many tools a poker play can use ... they can help your game if used properly.

Useless if illiterate like... well you know who...

But seriously just started Jonathan Little's new book. I'll let you know.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
HOPE THAT HELPS!
TTYL
idk... I've read some of your posts on HandHistory analysis section for Tournament play & would have to say > I think you'd do well by picking up a couple/few books & havin' a read. Just sayin'....

AntonDrake

AntonDrake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I'm Anton Drake, the author of the book Poker Isometrics and Poker Fitness. I've gotten some questions and requests for additional information about the book, so I wanted to post here. Hopefully that’s ok and this is a somewhat appropriate location to post.

Poker Isometrics centers around an in depth look at isometric technique, and how to implement it at the poker table. The book has more than 170 photos and images, with lots of graphics designed to help explain the relationship and countertension between muscles in a (static) isometric technique. A lot of detail is included, so that readers can not only easily add some isometrics to their game, but also can progress toward real expertise. The subtle adjustments described in the instructions take the readers further into the techniques, and I think they'll feel immediate results.

To me, it's very clear that grinders and tournament players spending 10-12 hours or more everyday sitting still and suppressing their emotions will pay a price physically. So the need for a way to work your body while you play is real. And isometrics can really help with Tilt as well. After a bad beat or the loss of a big pot during a tournament, isometrics can really give players a solid way to reconnect with their body and burn up some of the extra adrenaline. This helps them stay more emotionally stable and off of Tilt. It’s clear that there's a huge amount of adrenaline sometimes at the poker table, but players tend to just sit and suppress their emotions at the table, with no real outlet for the physiological "fight or flight" response that is essentially being triggered. Combine that with lots of long hours and poker sessions, and it’s really a recipe for getting out of shape. Poker Isometrics gives players a set of techniques to covertly work their body while sitting at the poker table and to unleash their physicality somewhat and kind of "clean out their fuel injectors.” This in turn makes it much easier to think more clearly and stay emotionally centered. And also helps to keep one's body more oxygenated and fit.

The techniques can significantly improve muscle tone and fitness and are a good addition to the repertoire of even the most fit individual. The Tilt factor, though, I think is very interesting for poker players. If you'll notice, most books that deal with the subject of poker-Tilt are in effect suggesting a type of reframing, to prevent oneself from getting agitated at the poker table in the first place, or to deal with Tilt once it starts. The reasoning is, largely, that if you can get this higher perspective on the game of poker, then you’ll be able to abstract yourself from it somewhat, and have less of an emotional reaction. And if you DO get tilted, then just try to refocus yourself, remember your gameplan, and minimize the damage. But the fact is that when things go wrong, such as the drunk donkey hits a river gutshot on the river to crack your set of Kings and you lose a 400 BB pot as he yells at you "Yeaaahhhh!!!", your emotional reaction often precedes your rational thought process. Having the ability to burn up some of the "fight or flight" using isometrics energy can really work wonders, and allow one to stay focused... and also to avoid some of the real health dangers entailed by a longterm sedentary lifestyle. Above all, these techniques really make you feel better, both at the table and away from it.

If you have any questions about the book, feel free to post them and I will try to answer them for you. Thanks

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isometrics - is that like when my butt cheeks clinch when I am looking at AK in the BB after 3 other guys have shoved?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Isometrics - is that like when my butt cheeks clinch when I am looking at AK in the BB after 3 other guys have shoved?
I think it might be.
I was thinkin' of the old Charles Atlas 'Dynamic Tension' ads. with the guy getting sand kicked in his face on the beach.

Attachments

• Atlas.jpg
    Atlas.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 55
AntonDrake

AntonDrake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
*heh heh* That sounds more like an automatic response. It's good though that you are able to be aware of changes like that in muscular tension. A lot of people tense up and are completely unaware of it... and in fact probably mistake that feeling of tension for an emotion or a thought process. In some people, muscular tension caused by situational stress or negative emotion can create perpetual muscular tension--the stress and the physical habit of tension form grooves, so to speak, in the nervous system. For instance you see many people walk around kind of huched-over or visibly tight; if those people want to really change the way they think or feel, at some point they might realize that the tension in their muscles holds them in their present state: an emotion created the chronic tension, so if you try to let go of the emotion, the chronic tension is still there and is a link back to the emotion and/or the thought process that created the emotion.

I'm sorry if I seem to be really getting into this question... I do realize you were kind of making a joke, however this is actually an interesting question. The idea is that you want to be able to consciously control your muscles, with your mind; the inverse of that is the ability to consciously relax your muscles with your mind. If you can work your muscles effectively without resistance, then you also gain the ability to relax them.

Now... if the AK situation was very tense for some reason, sure, perhaps you might feel like doing an isometric technique with one of your arms or one of your legs as the action comes around to you... just to kind of channel some of that adrenaline, let off a bit of "steam" which might help you stay more balanced in the moment. Or you might just stay very relaxed--the opposite of what you jokingly describe. But it's your choice.

A lot of people might be very lazy and sedentary, for instance lying around on the couch all day watching TV, but ironically they are also very tense. They are emotionally tense and their muscles are very tense. The techniques and concepts described in the book are actually a way out of this trap.

Cheers!

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a huge poker book guy but I have read a couple and thought I would leave my suggestions in this thread.

"Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky was the first poker book that I ever read. But I agree with the posters above that it is probably not the best book to read if you have never read a poker book before. Amazing and eyeopening though, the bible of poker etc, an absolute must read for any serious player.

I based nearly everything about my poker game off that book. And added to that foundation by posting and reading a lot in forums and watching training videos.

The other two books that I have read and recommend deal less with actual strategy but I think they are of equal importance, especially if you plan on being a professional poker player.

From a live perspective, Barry Greenstein's "Ace on the River" is a fascinating look at how the poker industry works, what it takes to succeed and thrive over the long haul.

From an online perspective, Dusty Schmidt's "Treat Your Poker Like a Business" offers many of the same lessons for the online grinder. The kind of dedication and attention to detail that it takes to make it as a professional online poker player.

Hope this helps.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read about 10 or so books on the game and thought I understood them and went out and played and did the exact opposite. Im not a big book person. I will admit I learned more about my game by posting a hand on a forum the first time and telling people to not hold back and found out I did nothing good in my game, and now Im not good but I do understand what I see going on at the table (from an ameteur level). SO the books are good and also I rarely find myself in trouble at the 10K buy in at the Bicycle and holding AKs but getting re-raised by 220K. Most of the situations in books I never find myself in or they dont quite work out as clean as the books make it seem like it should. like my fold the table bet doesnt work cause someone just wants to see if their 75 will hold up. THE DUDE IN THE BOOK WITH THE 75 FOLDED NOW WHAT flop 5A7 (the book would proclaim WHAT A SAFE FLOP FOR YOU and now you can control the betting here YEA OK)

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
idk... I've read some of your posts on HandHistory analysis section for Tournament play & would have to say > I think you'd do well by picking up a couple/few books & havin' a read. Just sayin'....
lol so true :)^ probably a great starting point for mike and anyone who needs to learn the fundementals on the game

proffessional no-limit holdem , not a bad read . solid advice on planing your hands around comitment .

Last edited by a moderator:
jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The transition for me from almost forty years of playing stud poker to playing Holdem for the last six years would have been easier if I would have read the Theory of Poker first. It primarily teaches one to think as a poker player. It is actually not a strategy book, but learning the concepts in this book prepares one to move into strategy with a solid conceptual basis