poker books

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Books are hard to find as E-books, however, thanks to my extensive research I usualy find what i am looking for. If there is a poker book out there, then there is also an E-book. I have soo many E-books lol im so proud!

Kindle is actually getting quite a good collection

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh really? thats good to hear !

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the theory of poker by salansky should be the first book you read.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the theory of poker by salansky should be the first book you read.
Surely it depends what level you are at?

I found Phil Gordon's Little Green Book very useful for covering the basics, so for inexperienced players I would recommend that as a starting point.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely it depends what level you are at?

I found Phil Gordon's Little Green Book very useful for covering the basics, so for inexperienced players I would recommend that as a starting point.

I would amend that to say Theory of Poker should be the first book you buy. But if it's whooshing over your head back up and get some Phil Gordon then get into it.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would amend that to say Theory of Poker should be the first book you buy. But if it's whooshing over your head back up and get some Phil Gordon then get into it.
I can't really comment, as I am ashamed to admit that I have not yet read [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1880685000/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=fasforschofen-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=1880685000"]The Theory of Poker[/ame]

It's on my list of books to read, though :p

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i can get it for u in a e-book if u would like :) for a nominal fee :p

Zakky11

Zakky11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read several interesting poker books. Doyle Brunson, Ace on the River & Super System 1 & 2 are my favorite books out of all.

R

RdotJdot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So has anyone got that real expensive book tyhats over a grand? What do u get with it?

CheckraiseLife

CheckraiseLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I beleive there is some unscruplous sites on the internet whenre u can 'download' that overpriced book, although I would never do such a thing for such an expensive book.....

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't really comment, as I am ashamed to admit that I have not yet read The Theory of Poker
It's on my list of books to read, though :p
Speaking shame and admitting - I got "Theory" about 6 months after I started playing - WHOOOOOSH!
Played 6 more months (and read all of Gordons stuff and some others) and them all of sudden "Theory" made perfect sense. It had as much to do with having a lot more hands under the belt as anything.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I beleive there is some unscruplous sites on the internet whenre u can 'download' that overpriced book, although I would never do such a thing for such an expensive book.....
If people charge a ludicrous price for a book then they shouldn't be too surprised if people find other ways of obtaining it ;)

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before reading strategy books for specific game types I recommend reading The Theory of Poker by Sklansky. Harrington 1 and 2 are great tournament books with 2 being the better of them. In my mind I have not found a good book for small limit NL Holdem online ring games. Super system 2 covers higher limit games. I also recommend Hwang's books on Pot Limit Omaha. The two Killer Poker books are good. If you are a math freak, Killer Poker by the Numbers especially. This forum has some excellent strategies which compare favorably to any books especially for online play.

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is hard to believe there is information in that "Range" book that is SO much more valuable than anything else out there. It is also hard to believe a publisher would allow such a high price point -- surely even at $100 they would sell 20X as many books, right? It's just paper and ideas, after all...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is hard to believe there is information in that "Range" book that is SO much more valuable than anything else out there. It is also hard to believe a publisher would allow such a high price point -- surely even at $100 they would sell 20X as many books, right? It's just paper and ideas, after all...
Perhaps they don't want to get 20x more copies out?

Anyone in this thread even read the reviews on the book?.. or learn about the author & the book's content?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker Books are hard to find as E-books, however, thanks to my extensive research I usualy find what i am looking for. If there is a poker book out there, then there is also an E-book. I have soo many E-books lol im so proud!

So you're 'proud' of ripping off the authors? Say you take the time to write a book (& it does take ALOT of time, experience & effort)... you want people to rip you off? (or pay the small asking price of say $30 that they typically go for).

CheckraiseLife

CheckraiseLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with respect...+ev and also *poker player* every one is rippin off eachother even fulltilt lol

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps they don't want to get 20x more copies out?

Anyone in this thread even read the reviews on the book?.. or learn about the author & the book's content?

I did read some reviews, and while it seems like there are advanced topics in there, the reviewers were fairly lukewarm in their praises.

If you want to limit how many people receive your information, why put out a book at all? There is no guarantee that a week after one buys the book, they aren't going to start pumping them out at $50 each. It's just ideas and paper -- while I get that many authors spend loads of time and money researching and working on books, if these guys are winning players, they have MADE money while coming up with these concepts. Is the idea that the time away from the tables while writing this book COST them money? In that case, again, why bother?

It is almost like trying to turn back time to before the printing press, when written information was accesible only to the elite.

In the end, my opinion is cast by my wallet, and my vote is in. It is just such a weird retail situation, though, that it gets the old noggin working... :)

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe the book is targetted at people with more money than sense?

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wish i had more money than sence :p

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking shame and admitting - I got "Theory" about 6 months after I started playing - WHOOOOOSH!
Played 6 more months (and read all of Gordons stuff and some others) and them all of sudden "Theory" made perfect sense. It had as much to do with having a lot more hands under the belt as anything.

I agree. I started reading Theory of Poker less than a year ago and it just was too dry of a read for me and it required too much concentration to follow it. So after the first few chapters I set it down and continued playing and re-reading some other books.

I have put in at least another 200K hands and have decided to stop playing for a break. While on my break I picked up Theory of poker again and it was not quite as difficult to follow. I think some of his discussions and examples follow a line that unless you have played some hands it is difficult to follow.

So far the read is good this time (only about half way through). A lot of the concepts in this book are great and were forward thinking when this book came out. For today I think it can give you an idea of what modern poker is built on but I am not expecting anything revolutionary from it. Just help get a clearer picture of concepts and why you should do thing things you should do.

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that $1850 book Let There Be Range by Tri (slowhabit) Nguyen and Cole (cts) South
def. not worth it its ok so far but not worth it im on pg12 and the info thats there is easily gained from playin,other books and from Poker Forums

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
wish i had more money than sence :p
... maybe you do?
that $1850 book Let There Be Range by Tri (slowhabit) Nguyen and Cole (cts) South
def. not worth it its ok so far but not worth it im on pg12 and the info thats there is easily gained from playin,other books and from Poker Forums
might not translate well to 2nl?