poker books

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play a lot of MTT's I highly suggest " Poker Tournament Formula " by Arnold Snyder.

It improved my tourney game.

R

RdotJdot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just bought 2 books. Mathematics of poker by bill chen and caros book of tells. I been playing all live poker lately so I thought caros book be good. The mathematics book is like a text book. It doesn't go into details on what hands to play and stuff so I don't recommend it for begginers but I guess if ur more advanced it gives u understanding of game theory and optimal strategy and stuff. That's what I got by looking at chapter titles and reading foreword cuz I only read few pages so far.it is kinda a tough read cuz its almost like a text book.

S

Saros

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Caros book of tells was very pleasant read but a little bit repetitive or stated the obvious. I prefer Mathematics of Poker. It's on a completely different aspect and was more appealing to me.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- Joe Navarro's Read 'em and Reap is a bajillion times better than Mike Caro's Book of Tells if you're looking for a live tells resource. Seriously, exactly one bajillion times better. I read both multiple times and did the math. Maybe only three quarters of a bajillion if you're looking for tells specific to self-dealt stud games.
Mike Caro is very good at self-promotion, but not necessarily that good at writing books...

CheckraiseLife

CheckraiseLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can find his poker tells on youtube, in video form its pretty hilalrious and I cant take it seriously, but better than buying a book than actually seeing examples ( of terrible acting) also I think hellmuth had a poker tells book out not sure if its any good though lol - i'm guessin maybe not.

found it full vid on youtube - BOOM

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can find his poker tells on youtube, in video form its pretty hilalrious and I cant take it seriously, but better than buying a book than actually seeing examples ( of terrible acting) also I think hellmuth had a poker tells book out not sure if its any good though lol - i'm guessin maybe not.

[/url]

Actually, 'Hellmuth's poker tells book' ("Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells") is EXCELLENT!!!! You see, Hellmuth didn't actually write the main text - it is by ex-FBI interrogator Joe Navarro who has become THE leading expert in poker tells. Hellmuth wrote a kind of commentary at the end of the chapters - usually only a page or two.

Check this out for more - Navarro Poker

JoanDigweed

JoanDigweed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My favorite poker book is Eat Professional Poker Players Alive! by Frank Wiese. I must say that I won a lot of games with help of this book. It is really nice, with hilarious jokes and good examples. I advice this book for all newbies in poker.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know we all hate and want to strangle FTP but, they did publish a great poker book for tournament poker called Full Tilts poker strategy Guide Tournament Edition. It has many of the Pros from Full Tilt. And it has a great basis for what you should be doing during tourneys.

C

CromMitra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"every hand revealed" by gus hansen.......will definitely change the way you think about poker tournies......unless you think that way anyway.very interesting to see his thought process on the game...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
"every hand revealed" by gus hansen.......will definitely change the way you think about poker tournies......unless you think that way anyway.very interesting to see his thought process on the game...
I was pretty pumped up to read Gus's book when it first came out, hadn't read many reviews about it then & some that I did read had good stuff to say about it.
My experience with it > I was still pumped after reading the foreward & the first page or two & then was really disappointed. The only thing it changed in my thinking about poker tournies was >
- Gus kinda sucks at the pokersz
- tape recorders are decent for taking live notes (especially if you decide to write a book after)
- decision making process involves > "Hmm... well he could have that. .. or.. it could be that. Hmm... maybe that? I'm not really sure -> I call!!" (be sure to hold chips in hand while thinking & say this out loud (but not very loud... just barely audible). Also place palm of hand on forehead & tilt your head back & forth while humming & hawing. "Go Gussy!!"

CheckraiseLife

CheckraiseLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gushansenearnings.jpg

Although hes making a nice comeback, .....guy spewed 9 mill , I'm not reading that book :p (If I there some is one who says well hes only down 2.5 mill now, look at your annual income, and re type that message.)

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Speaking shame and admitting - I got "Theory" about 6 months after I started playing - WHOOOOOSH!
Played 6 more months (and read all of Gordons stuff and some others) and them all of sudden "Theory" made perfect sense. It had as much to do with having a lot more hands under the belt as anything.

I agree. I started reading Theory of Poker less than a year ago and it just was too dry of a read for me and it required too much concentration to follow it. So after the first few chapters I set it down and continued playing and re-reading some other books.

I have put in at least another 200K hands and have decided to stop playing for a break. While on my break I picked up Theory of poker again and it was not quite as difficult to follow. I think some of his discussions and examples follow a line that unless you have played some hands it is difficult to follow.

So far the read is good this time (only about half way through). A lot of the concepts in this book are great and were forward thinking when this book came out. For today I think it can give you an idea of what modern poker is built on but I am not expecting anything revolutionary from it. Just help get a clearer picture of concepts and why you should do thing things you should do.

^^^^ Yep, same here. I have read it twice so far. It was my second poker book, and first reading I was totally in the dark most of the time. But he does make a number of statements about the reader perhaps being one of the better players at the table in the situations describes, so it seems more directed towards players who have a good foundation already.

If you play a lot of MTT's I highly suggest " Poker Tournament Formula " by Arnold Snyder.

It improved my tourney game.

I have read it (both volumes actually) and I have very mixed feelings. There are a lot of interesting concepts, and he does advocate attacking weakness, which is good, but I think someone could get in a lot of trouble with some of his "strategies". But its all a cafeteria anyway, meaning take what you want and leave the rest. If it helps you, then that is good. But I think someone who doesent understand the reason he approaches tourney like he does (as opposed to a more conventional style) can donk a lot of chips away following his advice. But I did like a lot of his thinking, like "rock, scissors, paper" and so on. When combined with other styles, it is a good weapon to have in you arsenal.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This revolutionary new poker format is designed to minimize your wait time between hands and keep you in the action at all times. When you fold your hand, you’ll be rushed to a new table for the next hand immediately.

Trying to increase post count? Cant see any other sense in this....................

And rush poker does not exist at the moment anymore............

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nope sure dont and that kind of sucks
gus loss 9 mil. 4 real my god

Last edited:
momasaidnokuout

momasaidnokuout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read a few poker books and the most readable book so far has been Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. Its basically a beginners guide to poker, but it points out some obvious strategies that we sometimes forget to apply. Its a must have for any poker player.

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive got that and i think im going 2 start reading it with all the talk about it

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SSNL by Ed Miller. Reading this and it's great so far. For someone lacking fundamental abilities at 10NL it's really helping :D

Also reading a bit of Let There Be Range a minute ago, it's awful. So awful. Can't believe it's still $900. The information is basic, badly written and outdated.

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I've started my PT3 trial, I'm referring back to "Killer Tournament Poker by the Numbers" by Tony Guerrera. The math can get tedious, but I like his analytical style. He's got a lot of good web articles out there too...

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read every hand revealved and ace on the river - both very good books and would recommend to anyone.

Ace on the river is more about the poker lifestyle than the game itself. Every hand revealed is about tournament play exclusively.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opts

this is a good read, and it's free.
i think there is a link to it somewhere on CC.

Last edited:
T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol
thanks m8
tried to copy 'very nice screenshot'
and put it at the top of this reply