bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You always should benefit from reading

The Little Green Book by Phil Gordon is easy reading and some good stuff. Really do enjoy Mike Caro's articles but never read any of his books.
Wally

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Little Green Book by Phil Gordon is easy reading and some good stuff.
Yes, that was the most helpful book that I have read so far. I found Super System OK for bricks and mortar poker, but too LAG for online poker. At the moment I'm reading Sit N Go Strategy, by Collin Moshman.

G

genleemb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on holdem volume1 ...2 ...3 were good reads. Mike Caro put out a lot of good things too, Book of tells if you play live.

There are so many that will help your game if you study them vs read them. Reading them is fine, studying them is better. What I mean by that is if you find something really useful, write it down in a notebook or on a word doc. It's good to have notes to review at a later time. The act of writing notes reinforces the ideas.

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like that
write it down in a notebook or on a word doc. It's good to have notes to review at a later time. The act of writing notes reinforces the ideas.
The Little Green Book by Phil Gordon ive added that to my books to read
and Harrington on holdem volumes and Book of Tells as well im def. trying improve my reading skill i think im pretty good at that because when i was playing in a online torny was able to read that some1 had poket qs he raised preflop got some before me to call then me i think i had 108s r something like that flop came 86k the person who opened with his qs paused then bet thats how i know he didnt like the k the guy before me calls n i call knowing that i was beat by the qs hoping to bluff the turn but he shoves and the guy before me calls with k7
any thoughts on that hand would be nice
another hand was my 1st time playing live but i wasnt involved in it the guy beside me was the flop came 933 and and he looked at the flop then checked i knew he hit the flop hard put him on poket 9s r a3 r even 93 but he had poket 3s those r just 2

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My personal views on a few of the ones mentioned so far:

- Phil Gordon's Little Green Book (and the follow-up Little Blue Book) are both excellent starting points for learning the game, highly recommended.

- The Harrington on Hold 'em series is a great resource for basic MTT strategies.

- Joe Navarro's Read 'em and Reap is a bajillion times better than Mike Caro's Book of Tells if you're looking for a live tells resource. Seriously, exactly one bajillion times better. I read both multiple times and did the math. Maybe only three quarters of a bajillion if you're looking for tells specific to self-dealt stud games.

- Super System is obviously a classic but is (sadly) largely irrelevant unless you have a time machine that lets you go back thirty years and play high stakes mixed games against nits.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just adding my endorsements to some of the above:
Little Green Book is excellent and HoH for MTT's is a must. For SNG's Moshmann's book is very good with Phil Shaw's 'Secrets of Sit n Go's' behind (Moshmann explains better imo). I've heard the 'Kill' series are very good although haven't read any myself yet.

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
harrington on hold em great books....in volume 2 i like is short stack play tips just great...helped my game out alot

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've heard the 'Kill' series are very good although haven't read any myself yet.

Killer Poker: No Limit by John Vorhaus is one of my favourite poker books ever, in particular the way it constantly encourages self-analysis.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For newer poker books,
possibly a more modern approach to the way the game is played online,
check these out,

Easy Game vol 1 & 2 - andrew (balugawhale)seidman
Let there be range - tri nguyin and cole south

mind boggling stuff

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO if you're just grinding the micros and play word for word what it says in things like Harrington on HE and Little green book. You will be a winning player. But once you get more to "real poker" Super System's Hold Em' section is the best thing ever written.

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like having the books for trips and such, but to tell you the truth, I've found that a few good forums work just as well for free! I'm glad I found this place, that's for sure, and I get more out of 2-3 hours a week spent here than I would 2-3 hours of reading Brunson, Harrington, etc.

G

genleemb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For newer poker books,
possibly a more modern approach to the way the game is played online,
check these out,

Easy Game vol 1 & 2 - andrew (balugawhale)seidman
Let there be range - tri nguyin and cole south

mind boggling stuff

So I went to amazon to check these out ... HOLY CRAP ... :eek:

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and that's the paperback !!!
how much is the hardback version ?
gotta be a typo.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like having the books for trips and such, but to tell you the truth, I've found that a few good forums work just as well for free! I'm glad I found this place, that's for sure, and I get more out of 2-3 hours a week spent here than I would 2-3 hours of reading Brunson, Harrington, etc.
I need both. It's good to read the books, then ask questions here about any aspects that need clarification.

R

RdotJdot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a typo. It really does cost that much I think.. I haven't read it. I assume there really good stuff in there but I can't imagine how the info could be worth the price.. that money could go towards playing and u prolly get better playing than reading a book

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Not a typo. It really does cost that much I think.. I haven't read it. I assume there really good stuff in there but I can't imagine how the info could be worth the price..
it's all relative - - typically players who would be purchasing a book like that ("Let There Be Range - Cole South" ($947) or "Easy Game"Vol.1 & 2 ($300,$800) ) are players who would obviously (potentially) get value by reading it in the stakes they're playing. (@ $5/$10 it's one pot)
that money could go towards playing and u prolly get better playing than reading a book
One would assume that if a player spends the $'s on a book like 'Let There Be Range', they've likely played alot already anyways. Playing more doesn't necessarily equate to 'playing better'.

There are many threads on here re: poker books. Probably worth doing a thread search for them.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u prolly get better playing than reading a book
Obviously everybody is different, but I think most people would gain more from reading a book than they do from simply playing.

E

edgie212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ed Miller's Small Stakes No-Limit Hold Em and Dusty Schmidt's Dont Listen to Phil Hellmuth are current favorites.

bigdog6262

bigdog6262

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously everybody is different, but I think most people would gain more from reading a book than they do from simply playing.
i agree reading helps but some never touched a poker book and still can play a great game

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have read a lot, and will put in my 2 cents here.

First, I agree with the Phil Gordon books, and HoH Vol 1+2. I enjoyed 3 as well, but that is a matter of taste, and it is a matter of opinion whether the way he suggests playing the hands are relevant for todays online players, but I likes it.

Tommy Angelo : Elements of Poker. IMO a great book.

Sklansky has a number of books. I really liked Tournament poker for advanced players. (Obviously for Tournament play) I also really like The Theory of Poker. It covers almost every form of poker, so is not geared primarily around Hold em, but is an excellent read IMO.

Winning Poker tournaments one hand at a time is a great study on the thought process from the beginning to end of hands at different tourney stages of 3 winning players.

Mastery by George Leonard. Has nothing to do with poker, but deals with setting goals and how to deal with one-step-forward-two-steps-back phases of learning anything. It like a "its the journey, not the destination" kind of philosophy book, but I found it very good, and if you are trying to reach a goal in poker (or anything) it can be a good source of info.

R

RdotJdot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree some people can prolly learn more from a book. And if. ur an experienced player it can open ur mind to new things u haven't considered. But as far as reading hands nothing is better than experience. I m not talking a $20 or 30 dollar book. By all means they r worth it. But over a thousand dollars for a book? I think ur better off getting a few of the average priced books, maybe a session or two with a poker coach, and rest go to ur bankroll. I would think that be way better. I don't know what u get for that money. Like maybe if u get a bunch of coaching sessions and a membership to one of the pay poker teaching sites. Maybe then it be worth it. Does anyone have it? What do u get with it if anything?

R

RdotJdot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and I didn't mean just depositing and playing having never studied the game. There's plenty of free information in sites like this as well as plenty of normal priced books. But u can read every book out there. But to be able to read hands u have to play. That's why I can't see paying over a grand for one book.. unless u get a ton of stuff along with the book. And I mean a ton of stuff with it for that price

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Books are hard to find as E-books, however, thanks to my extensive research I usualy find what i am looking for. If there is a poker book out there, then there is also an E-book. I have soo many E-books lol im so proud!