fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I
"Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky was the first poker book that I ever read. But I agree with the posters above that it is probably not the best book to read if you have never read a poker book before. Amazing and eyeopening though, the bible of poker etc, an absolute must read for any serious player.

From a live perspective, Barry Greenstein's "Ace on the River" is a fascinating look at how the poker industry works, what it takes to succeed and thrive over the long haul.

From an online perspective, Dusty Schmidt's "Treat Your Poker Like a Business" offers many of the same lessons for the online grinder. The kind of dedication and attention to detail that it takes to make it as a professional online poker player.

I read all of these and can only concur. All good reads.

proffessional no-limit holdem , not a bad read . solid advice on planing your hands around comitment .

Yes, I like this as well, read the first half and now am re reading. I have read a few books a few times, but never stopped in the middle and started over before.

I have read a lot more than I have played, so I think my balance is.. well.. off balance. Experience is now becoming a priority. But seeing how good players think can never be a bad thing, IMO.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Book comments

I liked A on the river but only a small portion was on hand analysis and betting, I couldn't recomend it as a must have.
Been studying Professional No Limit Hold'em, 2+2 ed. it gets pretty deep into the mathmatical principals, I would recomend it but there may be better books out there.
I was in a Half Price Books store yesterday and saw Doyle Brunson's book on online poker, after skimming through it I was unimpressed. It seemed to be something he just threw together, maybe I'm wrong.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
N'yeah - I thought Ace on the River was a fantastic book, but it's focussed very much on making you a better poker player away from the table.

If you're looking for specific advice on how to play a hand then there are dozens of better books. I almost think it should be mandatory reading for anyone who's considering playing poker professionally or semi-professionally though, because in reality there's a lot more to being a poker player than just playing your hands right, and Ace on the River covers all that stuff.

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys need help I am going to start with the Dan Harringtons books but not sure which ones are better either the "Harrington on holdem Volume 1,2,3" or the "Harrington on cash games volume 1,2" which would is the best one to start with!?

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys need help I am going to start with the Dan Harringtons books but not sure which ones are better either the "Harrington on holdem Volume 1,2,3" or the "Harrington on cash games volume 1,2" which would is the best one to start with!?
Uh which do you play? Harrington on Hold'em 1.2.3 are for tournament play.
I can't remember what Harrington on Cash Games is about, hmmm... what was it again?

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read many books, and several of those books several times. Oddly, the book I carry in my car to glance at, or stuff in the reading room drawer is a 1000 tips book, by Susie Isaacs. Old and when I bought it, it was the cheapest book there. Nothing revolutionary, but it helps keep me on my toes reminding me of things that tend to wither into the fog of memory if not reminded of.:confused:

She covers the main games, and reminds me at each level, beginner, medium and advanced play. It is amazing how often I forget the beginner shit.....and pay dearly for that forgetfulness.:(

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too true. This past summer wasn't all that profitable because I left behind some core basics in moving forward in my book studies. Back on track now though.
Read many books, and several of those books several times. Oddly, the book I carry in my car to glance at, or stuff in the reading room drawer is a 1000 tips book, by Susie Isaacs. Old and when I bought it, it was the cheapest book there. Nothing revolutionary, but it helps keep me on my toes reminding me of things that tend to wither into the fog of memory if not reminded of.:confused:

She covers the main games, and reminds me at each level, beginner, medium and advanced play. It is amazing how often I forget the beginner shit.....and pay dearly for that forgetfulness.:(

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Uh which do you play? Harrington on Hold'em 1.2.3 are for tournament play.
I can't remember what Harrington on Cash Games is about, hmmm... what was it again?

the other book was Harrington on Cash Games - How to Play No-Limit Hold 'em Cash Games Vol1-2

I am playing cash games so I think this would be a better book

I have started reading the little green book and after that I will move to Harrington of course first applying what I learn