Is poker a game of aggression or strategy

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it is much more a game of strategy than it is a game of aggression. The worst player of all time can be aggressive. It takes a bit more than that to be a winning poker player.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is poker a game of aggression or strategy?

Welcome to the forums! I would consider aggression a form of strategy, and part of a tool kit you need to be successful in poker.

S

shanerstayner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
aggression

I find that sites seem to reward aggression.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon. Poker is a game of strategy but you need both to succeed as a poker player.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how about this

Is poker a game of aggression or strategy?

it can be both but the thing about poker is balance... BALANCE!!!! learn how to manipulate that concept. i mean i could write a book on that but im a player not a writer. Watch hellmuth vs dan and dan vs the man DOUG then watch how Chan, DOYLE AND hellmuth and also the real player Stu unger

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As others have said before me, aggression is a tool in your strategy kit. It should be used and used more often then not used. If you are a tight or loose player I would suggest that most of the time you want to be aggressive in your play. Poker seems to reward aggressive play. If everyone just waited to bet until they made a hand an aggressive player would take advantage of all the times players missed the flop and I would like to think that they would have a big advantage over the other players.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game that requires a combination of a lot of things and these two are included. You have to have an abundance of different approaches to play poker because it's an abundance of nuances to the game. Shuffle up and deal!

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is the balance of the two.
There are times when you have to be aggressive and there are times when you have to be strategic.
The 2 always go together, I think that without them you can't get very far in tournaments

ijsmile369

ijsmile369

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think both, because you cannot constantly have the best hand every time, so sometimes you have to be aggressive (or bluff). As for the strategy I think any poker strategy must consist of following items: observation, math, memory, psychology. So as first and the main thing - you should train this 4 skills.

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the 2, the more I think the more is luck!

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all luck, skill and strategy

Poker is all luck, part skill and there is a strategy to win.

That is poker in a nutshell!

oh yeah.....

Plus....

FUN!!!

Thank you for listening!

:icon_bigs

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of aggression & strategy ,
im confused on this question,,,its also a game that calls for some passiveness at times as well
but always always STRATEGY

Last edited:
Goku55

Goku55

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s whatever type of game you play

You can play an aggressive game but it’s not going to be profitable trying to win every pot. My dad always use to tell me you’re not gonna break the table. But if you run good enough and you have enough money in an uncapped game you never know.

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is strategy with aggressive play one part of a possible strategy.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its both. Its a very aggressive game with strategy and a lil luck. I think the most important is to know all there is with the odds of winning,% ofcatching cards,ins ands outs and being able to do it FAST in yr head. Once you can start figuring out what other players cards are, then you got it figured out. Now you can start being aggressive and crazy because you know exactly whats going on and if you can or can't be beat. I usually pick on 1 player and try to take their money being intimidating no matter what. Good luck and practice makes perfect.:D

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a strategy game, where aggressiveness is just one of many ways to apply this strategy, just as passivity is also important in other poker scenarios.

M

maroca06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of strategy and luck, there are moments when you play more aggressively and others more relaxed.

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is strategy. And much study of the opponents look for their weak point and attack

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes the strategy is not to be agressive, so i will say strategy

M

Minelli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Moment !

It depends on the time of the game!

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me, Poker is a game of strategy and aggression is part of strategy.
Whoever plays aggressive without strategy is called a maniac and usually does not burst the bubble.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play aggressively against tight players. Playing against the same aggressor must be taut. and this is already a strategy.

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is gambling game but Some percentage is strategic and aggressive factors.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both really. You can't win big without knowing the right strategy and also playing aggressively. The key is aggression in the right spots.

Top 10 Games