Meditation and poker.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that meditation is needed for the body and brain similar to when you update an electronic device, it helps to make the brain and body work better and more efficiently. Meditation allows you to find a place your your emotions and mental state are at rest and things are clearer. This state of mind is necessary in poker in order to play with relying on emotions.

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it helps because meditation keeps you calm and you also have to keep playing calm at a tournament so it does match​

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every good player has a specific state of mind in which his skills are at his best and subconsciously he has his tricks to find that specific state, In my opinion the meditation could be a good tool for achieving this condition.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is a desire, you can here share your meditation experience, technique or everything related to meditation (application, music). Good luck to all.;)

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the beginning of meditation, he discovered ishome again. This is just something. For morning meditation that is necessary.
;)

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't go as far as to call it meditation, but I do try to stay calm and focus at all costs.

I found that most people tilt after losing a big hand, and usually try to get it back asap and end up tossing their remaning chips on a rather mediocre hand.

If you can mantain focused after losing a big hand, then you're golden, because even if you end up losing the tournament due to the nature of poker's luck involvement, you can still walk away knowing you played your best.

:D

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good mood is always important. a certain state of comfort in a person leads him to achieve the goal. all means are good.
therefore, meditation for someone is a good way to calm yourself for better results.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the main thing during meditation is not to fall asleep and not to miss the tournament.[emoji32][emoji32][emoji32][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji43][emoji43][emoji43]

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Some times I meditate, do breathing exercises. It's for my health and, of course, improving our health helps to improve our poker as well.
Meditation is good for everything, why not for poker. It releases our tension that's directly an advantage to play poker.
Don't play if you are tense - meditate :)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best poker meditation is to analyze your past mistakes.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some times I meditate, do breathing exercises. It's for my health and, of course, improving our health helps to improve our poker as well.
Meditation is good for everything, why not for poker. It releases our tension that's directly an advantage to play poker.
Don't play if you are tense - meditate :)
Totally agree with you. I felt the changes in everyday life from meditation immediately, but the level of poker remained unchanged. Failures in tournaments, and I endured easily before.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In meditation I use the method of concentration on breathing. There is a desire to try other methods, searches on the Internet only confused me. Share what methods do you use?

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have practiced meditation for a few months, approximately twice daily 20-30 min.
Yes, it calmed me a little bit, but unfortunately, I can't say it really helped me. Actually opposite, it made me pissed off because of wasting of time. Just creative way to be lazy for me.

I did some research and I can agree, it doesn't work for men as it works for women.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...k-differently-for-men-and-women-idUSKBN1802IB

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/04/20/mindfulness-helps-women-not-men-first-study-suggests/

https://boldanddetermined.com/meditation/

I have realized a better method for me is yoga. Of course, I exercise as well.
And my "secret" is sniffing essential oil during the session (lavender scent).

Instead of meditation, I do breathing exercise, stretching, and better than meditation - writing.

https://betterhumans.coach.me/better-than-meditation-12532d29f6cd

This is just my opinion, but meditation does not work for me, but keep going if you feel good about that :)

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to immediately clarify that I do not consider meditation through the prism of spirituality or religion. My attitude to meditation as an instrument for the development of consciousness and self-knowledge. I have had meditation experience in university for three years. I think this played a role in the development of me as an adult and adequate person. Again start practicing meditation was prompted by a number of scientific articles and a desire to improve my psycho-emotional state when playing poker. Who had the experience please share.
I never tried meditation. I dont really know where to start. I saw a bunch of videos online and it will be a really nice experience to try in future. Maybe helps poker playing when you are more pacefull.:D

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker_bro, meditation is not for everyone. I also thought about yoga, but stop at meditation. I plan to do yoga in the next half year. Thanks for the answer.;)

juliannorei

juliannorei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a meditation brings you calmness and patience, I in particular I am a very stressed and bad tempered person I even think that, but always after a brief meditation I feel renounced in body and soul, and just so I can play poker

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to immediately clarify that I do not consider meditation through the prism of spirituality or religion. My attitude to meditation as an instrument for the development of consciousness and self-knowledge. I have had meditation experience in university for three years. I think this played a role in the development of me as an adult and adequate person. Again start practicing meditation was prompted by a number of scientific articles and a desire to improve my psycho-emotional state when playing poker. Who had the experience please share.

Hi There
As long as you do not medidate on the game...everything is valid to improve your game
Rgds

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think valid focus meditation is a search for the balance of our emotions and reasons and deeper awakening of the soul then I see validity and see that it can bring efficiency and excecpcionais results for poker career be it professional, amateur or leisure .

:jd4:mateuspoker

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
when reading a book on psychology i read that poker pro Liv Boeree, used meditation to attain a level of focus prior to playing poker... she used an App called "Calm"
Liv is a hero of mine so i ran to the app store and got "Calm"... is a 7 day free trial, then is expensive to subscribe after that
it has a new fresh program each day and it is FANTASTIC!!! thanks Liv Boeree!
i told a gfriend about it (she not poker player) and she says it changed her life
try it - you'll thank me

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KristaK, thank. I'll try for sure.;)

kolyasik77777

kolyasik77777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As it is not when not meditating. Will have to try, thank you for saying that - that might be true if the bad bit will be calmer.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
poker_bro, meditation is not for everyone. I also thought about yoga, but stop at meditation. I plan to do yoga in the next half year. Thanks for the answer.;)
I just can recommend Yoga as well, because you have a great mixture of everything. Physical exercises, that also will prepare your body and mind for meditation, breathing techniques and the meditation itself as well. I would not want to miss it anymore. :)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
already a few days no mood on the game. meditation will not help.
I decided to leave poker for a few days until I pulled the tables again[emoji45][emoji45][emoji45][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I do yoga and meditation right after yoga in the mornings. I don't know whether this combo has a significant influence on my life, but in recent weeks my schedule has changed and I almost stopped doing yoga :(, meditations I still do but not very frequently. I'm eager to come back! So I guess although no significant change, but some effect is still present and I'd like to keep it :)

I use Apps "calm" and "primed mind". The first one has different courses but I've listened to mostly all of them and now prefer either just a timed or an open ended meditation while listening to this app's background sounds (they are so awesome, probably the best thing in the app at this point for me + its music collection).

Primed mind is rather a hypnosis than a meditation focused on giving you a certain energy boost and mindset. It's still a great app. I wish I used it more frequent than I'm doing it now.

I tried to use Headspace app that a lot of people advice, but it didn't work for me, I tried it several times and every time found it very annoying with its cartoons and unnecessary talking.

You said you've noticed some changes caused by meditation not in poker, but in real life. Can you name some specific?