Matt Affleck

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again, I don't have the same WSOP experience you do. So, maybe this beat wouldn't affect you emotionally as it would others.

Oh and I'm glad we're on a forum, posting in this thread. I'd hate to talk with you in real life about this. I probably wouldn't be able to hear you with all those WSOP bracelets jangling on your arm.

look out, new argument from the guys defending Matt: "he is a better player than you are", "you are a nobody" "he is the greatest" "he's better than all of us"

no need to be rude when defending one play or the other. in fact this thread should be close i think, i don't think i ever saw so many CC members insulting each other, and for what? for a guy who has his own mind and can decide for himself and probably doesn't even know who we are.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To all of you that say Affleck should just ship AA preflop because:

a) his opponent will fold so he can pick up a small pot and increase his his stack by ~20%
b) anything could happen on the flop and he might lose
c) he has a big enough stack to 'cruise' into the FT

...You must be the same players who are happy folding their way into the money of MTTs. And then you wonder why you're usually the short stack and getting called light when you're shoving 2 BBs with Ax.

However, if you're happy with minimal results, then continue making those min cashes.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With all your deep top 20 WSOP ME finishes only to be done in with a soul crushing beat. It must really thicken the skin, right?

hanniballecter.jpg

No, but it did toughen his nipples.

In any case, I've see football players cry over losing a superbowl for a ring and $83,000. I'd cry too if I lost a chance for a main event bracelet and $8,000,000 on a play that I didn't really have to make. It's not like he was a short stack where you know you're going to have to get lucky or you'll be out soon. Then there's the realization that probably came to him as soon as Duhamel called - that just a few seats away from the final table, against the chip leader, on a board with plenty of potential draws, he went all-in with nothing better than top pair.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again, I don't have the same WSOP experience you do. So, maybe this beat wouldn't affect you emotionally as it would others.

Oh and I'm glad we're on a forum, posting in this thread. I'd hate to talk with you in real life about this. I probably wouldn't be able to hear you with all those WSOP bracelets jangling on your arm.

In case I need to (I doubt I do), let me clarify I am still looking for that first bracelet. Actually still looking for that first live tournament cash of any kind.

But you knew that already and are just having fun. No problem.

None of this has anything to do with the point that a grown man has
no business, even in this extreme situation, resorting to tears. We're
not talking about getting mad, we're not even talking about getting a
little depressed. This I could understand.

No, we're talking about actual water running down the front of your face.
I'm sorry, it just isn't right and I think the kid made a mistake and let
his emotions get the best of him.

You said you would cry too in this situation, but I'd bet my entire bankroll (now a staggering $59!!) that you wouldn't.

I'd bet on that because the odds are with me in that the
vast majority of grown men would take even this admittedly tough beat
in a emotional situation like a man should, ........ shake hands, good luck and move on.

I would do that, and you would too.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look out, new argument from the guys defending Matt: "he is a better player than you are", "you are a nobody" "he is the greatest" "he's better than all of us"

no need to be rude when defending one play or the other. in fact this thread should be close i think, i don't think i ever saw so many CC members insulting each other, and for what? for a guy who has his own mind and can decide for himself and probably doesn't even know who we are.

Oh, I don't think he's being rude, and certainly not insulting.

Just being a little light hearted is all.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the issue is not whether or not we are too scared to play a flop with AA when we have position and villain's range is face up.

We have 2 options,and 5-betting, whether it's a small raise or a shove, pretty much puts our hand face up. Or we can flat and leave some amount of doubt in villain's mind and let him think his JJ+/AK is good.

The problem is we shove and we win the absolute minimum but we reduce our variance on the 18% chance that we lose out on making the November 9.

Exactly! You have to take into account also that if he shoves, with his reputation, he might very well get called. He played it well and got unlucky, but if he shoved it might have ended the same way....

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, but it did toughen his nipples.

In any case, I've see football players cry over losing a superbowl for a ring and $83,000. I'd cry too if I lost a chance for a main event bracelet and $8,000,000 on a play that I didn't really have to make. It's not like he was a short stack where you know you're going to have to get lucky or you'll be out soon. Then there's the realization that probably came to him as soon as Duhamel called - that just a few seats away from the final table, against the chip leader, on a board with plenty of potential draws, he went all-in with nothing better than top pair.

My gnipples are quite sensitive, thank you very much.

Anyway, I call BS to all these claims that you would break out in
tears in this situation the way Affleck did.

I can understand the stunned deer in the headlights look. I can understand
a firm fist on the table.

But we're talking about actual crying here, and none of you who want
to side with Affleck by saying you would do the same thing are being
truthful.

You'd suck it up and deal with it.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In case I need to (I doubt I do), let me clarify I am still looking for that first bracelet. Actually still looking for that first live tournament cash of any kind.

But you knew that already and are just having fun. No problem.

None of this has anything to do with the point that a grown man has
no business, even in this extreme situation, resorting to tears. We're
not talking about getting mad, we're not even talking about getting a
little depressed. This I could understand.

No, we're talking about actual water running down the front of your face.
I'm sorry, it just isn't right and I think the kid made a mistake and let
his emotions get the best of him.

You said you would cry too in this situation, but I'd bet my entire bankroll (now a staggering $59!!) that you wouldn't.

I'd bet on that because the odds are with me in that the
vast majority of grown men would take even this admittedly tough beat
in a emotional situation like a man should, ........ shake hands, good luck and move on.
I would do that, and you would too.

Maybe, but everyone is different and obviously he wanted to win so badly that he couldn't help it....Getting eliminated by Aces getting cracked is tough to take even in a small event, but he was in position to win the wsop. When you put in so much effort and get beat like that it's tough, man....

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe, but everyone is different and obviously he wanted to win so badly that he couldn't help it....Getting eliminated by Aces getting cracked is tough to take even in a small event, but he was in position to win the WSOP. When you put in so much effort and get beat like that it's tough, man....

I won't argue with that for a second.

Absolutely no question that any normal person would experience
some very extreme emotions here. If you didn't you're probably fresh
from a labotomy.

It's just the tears I don't get.

T

Trimming1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it`s a snap shove..

I`m not going to wait there and let him see it. I put the pressure back on him and let him decide what to do.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally i think the tears show his emotion for the game. that beat was just soul-crushing.

is it really that big of a deal if he cried or not? i mean shit guys he's a grown man playing the game he loves, let him cry if he wants to.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I heard him say, you have 9-10, which made me laugh, he might have said kings too, threw a couple hands out there.
Look the bottom line is, he needed to 5 bet shove and take the 18% chip increase and cruise into the final table. He deeked around trying to extract the most value out of them and took a bad beat and went home, well, 1st he cried like a little bitch, then went home, I didn't feel bad for him cause he reminds me of the fat nerd everyone picked on in HS.
Look you wanna get cute with aces, go ahead, but the guy 4 bet you and presented you with a nice pot to take down right now. and if he calls your shove with jacks, tyvm !

Do you really mean this here? Or are you just posting it looking for a reaction? I mean I'm guessing you prolly cry worse than Affleck in your livingroom when you go out from a freeroll.... after getting it in bad.

Why would any decent player suggest to ship it to win the min.? Getting it in way ahead on the turn... you call this 'deeking around'? I call it playing it excellently.

This thread is interesting... it's interesting/surprising to read about how bad many would choose to play this.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My gnipples are quite sensitive, thank you very much.
TMI! :)

Anyway, I call BS to all these claims that you would break out in
tears in this situation the way Affleck did.

I suppose I can't really say as I've never had a beat that bad, but if you take the emotion I feel when I get sucked out on just out of the money in a $1 MTT and multiply that by 8 million (or 400,000 if you want to take the difference in the top prize), then I can certainly understand it.

But we're talking about actual crying here, and none of you who want
to side with Affleck by saying you would do the same thing are being
truthful.

You'd suck it up and deal with it.

Tell that to these guys...
Crying.jpg

// Yes, I know soccer players are babies.
/// There's no crying in baseball.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW, I stirred up some personal hang-up emotions with my own personal hang-up emotion(yea, he's the fat nerd that always took my hustle from me, then my money, gambling in HS! Didn't make him a bad guy, I just had to be a hater and label him).
I envy his abilty to make back to back deep runs like that.
Yea, I would ball like a baby if I took a beat like that, that close to winning the ME, have to admit that too, all be it, when I got back upstairs to my room.
Don't talk about smashing a brick into someones face unless you have the abilty to carry through with it(PM me if you wanna talk about that any further).
Coming back 2 days later and reading what I wrote and reading the reaction is humbling and I truely am sorry for making a personal attack , although my nature unfortunately doesn't allow me to back down completely ,hence the opening line of this post.
Now as far as the hand goes, heres my problem, I'm probably shoving because I don't have the skills to outplay a larger stack postflop that late in a tournament, I admit that. To many times extracting the most value against a larger stack has got me burned, as I'm sure it does even the best of players. He donk bets the flop out of position and instead of recognizing that and in position, I get scared, lol, weakness !
To me there was already decent equity to shove in hopes of getting a call from the larger stack with an inferior hand or inducing a fold and increasing your stack by close to 20%.
I'm a NIT tournament player, build a healthy stack with tight play aginst loose players early, make a deep run, only to sit there looking at the info box and mumble"here comes the chip average, there goes the chip average, well at least I still have a chance to cash". I'm trying like hell to work on that weakness, I believe you can learn from stronger players here, and I throw in my 2 cents because I wanna get grinded up. I guess my 2 cents was a little over the top this time, and I got grinded up for something that won't help my poker skills.
But I applaud and understand Affleck's intent of trying to go into that final table as an overwhelming chip leader, he just got burnt, and thats what he gets for moving in on my hustle back in HS ! :)

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I heard him say, you have 9-10, which made me laugh, he might have said kings too, threw a couple hands out there. LOL.. you heard wrong (might've said kings too, lol).
Look the bottom line is, he needed to 5 bet shove and take the 18% chip increase and cruise into the final table. He deeked around trying to extract the most value out of them and took a bad beat and went home, well, 1st he cried like a little bitch, then went home, I didn't feel bad for him cause he reminds me of the fat nerd everyone picked on in HS.
Look you wanna get cute with aces, go ahead, but the guy 4 bet you and presented you with a nice pot to take down right now. and if he calls your shove with jacks, tyvm !

You are what makes playing poker profitable for guys like Matt (actually.. more like profitable for guys who've read the 'learning' section of this forum for perhaps a week or two).

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard him say, you have 9-10, which made me laugh, he might have said kings too, threw a couple hands out there.

From the video:
Duhamel: "10's and 9's?"
Affleck: "Kings, right?"

So Duhamel thought he was behind, but with 16 outs for a 34.8% chance of winning. He needed to put in $11,630,000 to call a $30,080,000 pot, so he was getting just a little under, but apparently close enough, to the pot odds he needed to make the call.

Meanwhile, Affleck thought Duhamel only had 6 outs and wouldn't be getting anywhere close to the odds he needed to call.

So both made the correct play for what they thought the opponent had - and the incorrect play for what the opponent actually had.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...... but if you take the emotion I feel when I get sucked out on just out of the money in a $1 MTT and multiply that by 8 million

I know the feeling, and when you put it that way, all I can say is that they better be stocked up with Kleenex. ;)

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are what makes playing poker profitable for guys like Matt (actually.. more like profitable for guys who've read the 'learning' section of this forum for perhaps a week or two).

Duhamel said 9's and 10's, Affleck said kings back, which I guess is laughable that Duhamel put him on 9-10, and if thats what he really thought, he gambled on a 16 outer to take a dominate chip lead. Turned out he only had 10 outs, but thats why they call it gambling I guess.
Look, lets cut to the chase, back on Sept. 28th, I started a $9.60(freerolled thru the PSO league) bankroll at poker stars and have built it to over $700, after a bad day at FT, and only averaging out for a long run at FT.(you can player scope that by the way, and you'll find i play ALL the games very well, so you can choose the game)
I know this isn't something great to brag about considering it was playing at low levels and geniuses like you play at higher levels, but considering there has to be losers as well as winners, I must have "learned" something about poker.
So cutting to the chase would be $100 (any amount, I'm just assuming it has to be in this range considering your talents) heads up NL holdem(and NL holdem is my weakest game, but I'm guessing its the only game your good at) SNG's challenge to you, yep, I'll risk that bankroll build just for the chance to shut up a poker genius with 452,823 posts here at cardschat. I mean, 642,355 posts means your good right?.

And I love this site, and appreciate the input from long standing members, but theres no sense to telling someone they need to learn how to play poker because they feel a certain way about how they would have played a hand. So put your money where your mouth is.

Maybe I get angry to easy, am I tilting or looking at a good investment?:D You tell me poker orifice ! Look forward to hearing your response, I only want a yes or no to the challenge, keep the ying yang out of your response.:beer:
Thanks,
Ron

Why is it I get a kick out of Duhamels giggle after Aflac throws his water bottle in the hall.
Matt Aflac, the darling child of poker, just ask Chad !, This is all so friggin funny.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Duhamel is probably the last one you want to slow-play AA on anyway. Remember this...

Robert Pisano Crippled
Just before the first break of the day a giant pot developed on the outer table. Duy Le opened for 305,000 then Jonathan Duhamel raised to 665,000. Robert Pisano and Le called and the flop came 7
club.gif
spade.gif
diamond.gif
. Duhamel checked, Pisano bet 1.55 millin, Le folded and Duhamel called. The turn came A
club.gif
and Duhamel led out with 1.875 million. Pisano moved all in and Duhamel insta-called. Pisano just barely had Duhamel covered. Pisano tabled A
spade.gif
K
heart.gif
for top pair, top kicker but Duhamel turned the wheel holding 4
spade.gif
spade.gif
. The river came 6
heart.gif
and Duhameld doubled to 21.6 million and Pisano was left with 320,000.

You never know about Duhamel. Just another reason for Affleck to shove pre-flop. I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Matt did. We'll never know.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i got to say this, but the guys wasn't bad beat at all, AA gets cracked often enough, if a new guy comes on CC and posts how he got bad beat with AA vs JJ you will all pick on him, but when Matt loses with AA to JJ it's a bad beat. i don't get it.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i got to say this, but the guys wasn't bad beat at all, AA gets cracked often enough, if a new guy comes on CC and posts how he got bad beat with AA vs JJ you will all pick on him, but when Matt loses with AA to JJ it's a bad beat. i don't get it.

facepalm.jpeg

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

LMFAO are u seriously comparing Matt Afflecks bad beat in the WSOP to the first time posters here on CC who play MICRO limits??????? holy mother of god i hope not...your post makes baby jesus cry.

D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't really think Matt cried that much from my perspective. I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention or what but he didn't seem like he was "crying a river" so to speak

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA gets cracked all the time regardless of stakes, just because you have AA in the wsop doesn't mean you won't get beat with it.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA gets cracked all the time regardless of stakes, just because you have AA in the wsop doesn't mean you won't get beat with it.

i dont think that anyone is this thread is disputing the fact that AA gets cracked......nope...i haven read one post that says AA is a 100% winning hand...again...another pointless post...christ