Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Obviously played it perfectly. What a shame to have this happen so deep in the MnEvent. (nobody said poker is fair... sigh).
What half-way decent player can't relate to this situation? (even if it's $90 or $900, or $9,000 you're losing out on... instead of $9m).

As far as believing that Duhamel would call a 5bet shove preflop.... no way possible imo. Would the 5-bet shove pre be 'optimal'? Umm.. no way imo. It's folding out everything except 'maybe' KK.
Duhamel's range is pretty limited here & Affleck has position on him.

Again I think he played it perfectly.

N

NFLD_REBEL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a tough way to lose regardless of how he played the aces. Ouch!! He should of took the beat like a real man instead of crying like a little baby. LMAO!! Poker can be such a brutal game.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push. Period.

Ughh.. This seems like an easy push...

I'll re-raise or push. Right? With AA I'll definitely make a big move.

In this situaution the obvious thing to do is to shove all in and then pray.

Shove and pray to god your AA dont get crack.. what happen im guessing he lost since it sounds like u would have just call and see what the flop brings.

Shove obv, you're ahead and want it in gooooood

Unfortunately I had witnesses the meltdown last night on ESPN's coverage. I believe he miss played the hand preflop. Matt should have made the All In shove after the 3 Bet. Why bother allowing your opponent to catch assistance on the flop? Take down the 3 M+ pot or make the huge 4 bet ( Pot 1/2).

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately I had witnesses the meltdown last night on ESPN's coverage. I believe he miss played the hand preflop. Matt should have made the All In shove after the 3 Bet. Why bother allowing your opponent to catch assistance on the flop? Take down the 3 M+ pot or make the huge 4 bet ( Pot 1/2).

it only takes one mistake, plus its hard to see the mistake after hours upon hours of play. if affleck won the hand we probably wouldnt have even considered his play a mistake. Affleck got it in good on the river, even if we can see that pushing duhamel off preflop would have been better, affleck was probably sure enough of his play and skill that he could fold if it became apparent that duhamel had him beat. duhamel never did so... yeah, crushing river.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah so much results orientated thinking itt, if duhamel misses the river nobody suggests that affleck flatting pre is wrong

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah so much results orientated thinking itt, if duhamel misses the river nobody suggests that affleck flatting pre is wrong

+1

affleck played the hand perfectly, just got sucked out on. it poker, it happens...just sucks when it costs you the november 9 and the chance at 9Million..

also im sure i'd cry too if i lost in his spot...i'd offer ESPN some side cash to not air it though lol

D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW, his elimination yesterday was sad. One of the worst I've seen on tv. Feel bad for the kid because he just lost the opportunity of a lifetime when his aces got cracked. He'll be back.

B

-----bryce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya thats a sick hand dont really understand duhamels thought process on that hand he knows affleck is a solid player and isnt going in with crap idk just seemed super bad play by duhamel

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you want JJ to fold?

i am in a good spot to make it to the final table. my stack is nice, he already put a couple of million chips in the pot, i am in no danger, all in need to do is avoid getting eliminated (which he didn't), heck while i was shoving i would had "accidentally" turn at least 1 of my cards over.

but now he is out, sometimes you got to learn when to play it safe, even with AA.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it only takes one mistake, plus its hard to see the mistake after hours upon hours of play. if affleck won the hand we probably wouldnt have even considered his play a mistake. Affleck got it in good on the river, even if we can see that pushing duhamel off preflop would have been better, affleck was probably sure enough of his play and skill that he could fold if it became apparent that duhamel had him beat. duhamel never did so... yeah, crushing river.

agree, why even give him a chance to catch up.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree, why even give him a chance to catch up.

because he was so far ahead he could allow a chance...and when you give a chance your gamble....and when you gamble ...sometimes you lose.

Like most have said ....imagine if duhammel didn't suckout on the river and affleck wins...everybody nows says he's a genius and played it perfectly.

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn't shoving here give your opponent the idea that you don't want to see a flop? Indicating something other than aces?

A little basic reverse psychology might be just the meta-game trick to use here but it would depend on all the usual things. In the end you want to get as much in preflop as possible imdo.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree if Duhamel misses then Affleck would have been in the driver's seat. But he's 5th out of 15 in the MAIN EVENT. The MAIN FRICKIN EVENT. Push and collect the chips. If he calls then obviously the same thing happens but at least you did everything you could. Early in a tournament I like this play. A few places from the ME final table...I don't know. Like I say kuddos to Matt. I have mad respect for him and I hope he is able to make the Final table some day.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn't shoving here give your opponent the idea that you don't want to see a flop? Indicating something other than aces?

A little basic reverse psychology might be just the meta-game trick to use here but it would depend on all the usual things. In the end you want to get as much in preflop as possible imdo.

Final 15 of the ME and you see a shove 5 bet from a SOLID player....what WOULD he have? Probably something like...

:ac4::ah4: or :ad4::ah4: or :ad4::ac4: or :as4::ad4: or :ah4::as4: or :as4::ac4:.....that's about it.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am in a good spot to make it to the final table. my stack is nice, he already put a couple of million chips in the pot, i am in no danger, all in need to do is avoid getting eliminated (which he didn't), heck while i was shoving i would had "accidentally" turn at least 1 of my cards over.

but now he is out, sometimes you got to learn when to play it safe, even with AA.

lol **** this thread

if duhamel misses everyone sucks affleck's dick saying how he made the most value

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course Affleck played it perfectly, Duhamel he's folding to a 5bet, probably even with KK, so Affleck went for maximum value. Flat calling was the optimal play there, and Affleck followed it up by playing it beautifully post-flop.

That was a tough way to lose regardless of how he played the aces. Ouch!! He should of took the beat like a real man instead of crying like a little baby. LMAO!! Poker can be such a brutal game.

Oh, come on! Put yourself in his shoes! If it was Phil Ivey doing this, than sure, he should act like the millionaire pro that he is. But you can't imagine how soul crushing this must have been for Matt. His reaction is perfectly understandable. He even came back to shake everyone's hands, so there's really nothing to criticize about his behavior imo.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have pushed. He did, and got beat, forget what he got beat by.

how about u read the thread and posts and watch the video before you post your spam to get to 65. He did NOT push....he played it post flop..christ

P.S. I think Me, Onemorechance, Thunder, and PO are the only ones thinking NON-results oriented

B

buckshot1969

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could never answer this because in my 10+ years of playing I don't recall ever getting AA.

P

p0keherj0ker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean you have to feel for Matt Affleck, brutal way to go out and he was quite obviously crushed by his reaction after the hand as he walked out into the hallway of the Rio. Two back to back deep runs in the ME and he gets knocked out at such a late stage of the tournament.. but the AA < JJ is with under 15 players left is soul crushing...

I seem to feel like when he flats in that spot he is almost turning his hand face up, surely Duhammel knows this, so I also find it quite interesting that Duhammel makes the call when Affleck jams the turn, I mean Duhammel even said that he put Affleck on 10's or 9's for a set, so not too sure I understand his call, cant exactly remeber the odds he was getting to make the call though..

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense for Duhamel to make that call, as Chad said, he's not getting the right price and although he wouldn't have been crippled, his stack would have been down to 8million. Not a lot at all.

I really feel for Matt, he's come on so much since last year and he wanted to make this more than anything. Last year, he can say, I messed up and made a dumb play, but this year, he did everything perfectly and it still didn't go for him. Horrible, horrible river. I hope he makes it next year.

TheUndesirable

TheUndesirable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw this hand, and after Duhamel called the urn shove, Matt Affleck said to him, 'You have Kings right?' or something to that effect. So you put the guy on Kings and don't ship preflop?? If he ships preflop he's made the FT no problem. Feel bad for him and yes this is a bad beat, but the way it was publicized was like he hit running jacks after affleck flopped a set. He had 10 outs once and hit.

TheUndesirable

TheUndesirable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And also, did you see that Pascal guy. He shoves his more than comfortable stack with QJs into Cheong's 3bet with KK and got eliminated, then left the Rio. About to walk out the open doors, he runs right into the closed doors in anger and almost falls over. Then Norman Chad says, 'Why did he do that? The other doors were open.' LOL