Is it better to play fast or think before the wick?

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When do you most often make the wrong decisions in poker: when are you making a quick decision or when you think about this decision on a time bank?:turtle:

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always make quick decisions, so I think a lot of things can fit one, a lot of thoughts, most of them are not pravilnye, the first decision is always the true test. And to sit to think if you have four aces.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I like to play fast at the beginning and slow before bubble.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play a quickly as i can.. otherwise.. I'll talk myself into a bad decision...

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i think a lot, i got a bad decision
If i try to be quick... i had a bad decision.
I just need analyse all possibilities... then its the right moment to take the decision... not too slow... at the right time!!!

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When do you most often make the wrong decisions in poker: when are you making a quick decision or when you think about this decision on a time bank?:turtle:

I think it better to play fast early and try to gain the upper hand over your opponents after playing slowly and carefully because at the beginning of the tournament there are necessarily matters who will have the leading chips and he will not let you play comfortably unless you are at a table of cautious players

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play fairly quickly. Some sites only have a small time bank says 30 secs so when put to a tough river decision it can sometimes not be enough. Sngs tend to have even smaller I've timed out lots trying to make a decision which is annoying

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ideally you have a plan already before starting the flop, when you get let's say a pair of KK, or QQ, you need to keep in mind the rage to do, whether to fold, or come all in, if you do not hit anything. .. so I believe that during the game, flop, turn, and river, what happens already should be easier to make a decision ... what I do not like and guys that stays thinking for 1 hour .. to fold.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I usually try to banally play only with strong cards. Therefore, in my case, the time for reflection is irrelevant. Most often, I make mistakes when I have a bad mood.

M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the opponent and my past history with him/her, but 90% of the times I usually make a decision almost instantly.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Normally I play fast in the first stages of the tournaments .... and after the bubble I take more time to have a better reading of the movements that my opponents do and so think better about the play I plan to make ...!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is advisable to always take his time to analyze a spot from the beginning until the end.me when you have a very good game.to not give too much information to your opponents or at least not to commit too much errors.

disciple

disciple

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The time you spend on a decision should depend on its complexity, this means taking into account:
Your opponents' range
Your cards
The pot
Effective stack size
The odds
The field
The prize structure & the next pay jump (applicable to tournaments)
Your history with the opponent, your reads, table history etc.

However, the time you take to actually ACT on your action should not differ between decisions as it might lead to a timing tell whether you are playing online or offline.

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelent

If a tend to slowplay usually I fold good hands. And many times I saw their bluffs get through.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in poker online is better use the same time to make a decision. I only change the time if is a easy fold or pay all in without any players call after me and obviously if is hard decision.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play fast, and I don't like slow players.

C

CL20472

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is it better

normally I try not to take to long

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some spots take time.

Thank you for posting.

The key is do you need some time to properly analyse the situation? The analysis that is necessary will dictate how much time you take.

The error people feel with taking time is, that they will talk themselves into making a bad decision by ignoring all the data and speculating on the outcome.

When you take time, it is simply to reflect on any data that you have on the way your opponent has approached this hand and hands in the past or the math involved in the situation.

Here is a great video on what players are thinking about and why it takes them time to think about it.

:)

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Your first decision is mostly the best, when you have confrontation with an all-in decision. When you need to start to think, about your decision, then you are likely behind.

But it is useful to take time for your decisions, when you are not put on an all-in situation, especially when you are multi-tabling. So you should take your time to make your decisions.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I decide quickly, I rarely take more than a few seconds to pick. The only
exception is when I’m nearing the bubble i’ll take longer to play.

Last edited:
COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I usually make quick decisions, but if I analyze the harsh beatings I took, they have been following quick decisions ... hmmm!

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing too fast make your game more automatic. That means you can learn too many bad habits and you won't even notice how much value you lose during a game. Fact is that playing slow can improve your game very well. Plus by playing slow you don't give many timing tells to your opponents. Because it's always funny when someone plays super fast and when he hits something like flush, straight he starts to think what to do with it. So you give tells to your opponents that you have a better hand so you win nothing at all. That's a problem for many bad players.

that's why generally for most of people making fast decisions = losing play. Don't rush. Just start to think about ranges, about bet sizing, about line, how your range looks on particular board etc.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should always think about your decision, a quick game is possible only when you have already made a decision on the street and predveduschey as a provocation you play quickly.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The main priority for me is the right decision, and no matter how much time it takes for me to do this. It all depends on each particular situation separately.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play at a table and watch the game, then quickly take difficult decisions. If I open 4-6 tables, then time to consider the situation requires more