Is it better to play fast or think before the wick?

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the more experienced you are at the table, the less time you need to arrive in the correct spot. Often times I find myself with the right play out of instinct, and the more I think about the hand the more I level myself into the wrong decision lol..

T

TanaT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always make a quick decision. This always leads to losing. Fold, then I think, why I did it. The best analysis and do not rush.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Usually I mistake more when I decide quickly. My decisions are much better when I use the time bank to do this.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I used to snap call some spots especially river spots ,probably one of my biggest leaks in the game.Lately I take my time and think based on the pre/post flop action, the time you understand something more than the very basics of the game you will read better your opponents/ranges and you will understand that the story they try to tell you(most of the times on the river card) makes no sense, so a hero call seems easier than ever!

Plus the bigger the buy in the more time you need to dedicate in some hands , more experienced players , more balanced and they don't always play straight forward like in the micros / freerolls! So taking your time before every action it should be a good habit to incorporate in your game. Whenever I play a serious tournament I just leave the PC mouse of my hand because I still try to be fully comfortable with this.

Last edited:
Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In early rounds I prefer quicker decisions because with so many people in tournaments sometimes people are reckless trying to build bankrolls. In the later rounds more thought goes into decisions and therefore you have to adjust.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I act too quickly deep in a hand and having the second or third possible nut... I don't say that I'm good when I take more time, but less mistakes happen. Sometimes I'll have the best hand but because of a miss read of my opponent I fold to 7 high!

Quick actions early in a hand usually make me do mistakes like not calling a 5x raise with 8-2 off, out of position and flopping a set of 8, ending I was winning the hand..

-TRP-

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually think before making a decision.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I most of all make the wrong decisions when the game goes fast, it's better to play in not quick tournaments and think well about your decisions in the game so as not to make many mistakes!

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is better to play deliberately, fast or slow game likely says about your draw or bluff!experienced the game will not be confused by such actions.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Old saying - Study long, study wrong!!!!

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on the tournament tbh
In hypers i tend to think and act faster, in omaha i think about the hand for a bit if it's getting to a big pot, Also the higher the buy-in the more i want to think about the play im making, If i'm playing 2-7 stud or 2-7 razz,Badugi, i really have to think if i have enough outs left to go for the draw i'm getting,

Sometimes i think to fast and make the wrong call that could save me a few chips

So for everyone it's different some play everything quick some play everything slow some do both, I do both depending on the tournament, if it's hyper i like to play a bit fast, Deepstacks you can play a bit slower imo.

But most mistakes come from a quick decision most of the time.

SprMnd

SprMnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, certainly the opportunity to think longer and analyze the opponent's game gives a lot more correct decisions than quick decisions that are not based on analysis, but are made by intuition.

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just really depends on the hand IMO.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad decisions are made by lack of concentration and quick decisions.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think in poker online is better use the same time to make a decision. I only change the time if is a easy fold or pay all in without any players call after me and obviously if is hard decision.
This! Be aware, that a quick call IP is considered as a mediocre hand. It is assumed, that you didn't think about raising. Google "timing tells"

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make quick decisions because the oppenent players are thinking that I have good cards so they mostly fold when I raise

B

beavis22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play quickly....no Hollywood here...the only time to play slowly is when youre deep in a big tourney and want to move up the pay ladder...another time to slow it down is heads up vs. a hyper aggresive player,drives them nuts.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to take a while to make big decisions. Now, I act quicker. If it is a tough spot to work through, then I think do I have enough chips to find a better spot, or is the the best opportunity that I have. Usually there are better spots, or I would have shoved pre....

D

Drogba_Legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When do you most often make the wrong decisions in poker: when are you making a quick decision or when you think about this decision on a time bank?:turtle:

Hmm... It's hard to say when I make wrong decisions more often, but I think it's when I make it quick. When I try to analyse the situation I play more productive. So i try not to rush in poker.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean that's a tough question. So many variables. LOL. Sometimes I make crazy calls immediately, sometimes I take a while to think about things. There's really no way you can answer this and a couple sentences. LOL go with your gut more often than not.

P

pokerpie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play fast poker in general, but I have found most of my leaks come from trying to play too many tables at once. Since then I have been trying to take a little more time with my decisions while playing a smaller sample of tables at a time.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When do you most often make the wrong decisions in poker: when are you making a quick decision or when you think about this decision on a time bank?:turtle:

Every move is always worth thinking about. Sometimes I timeout online.

I often think about what I want to do and then I ask myself what would happen if I did the opposite? Would the outcome benefit me?

Good luck !

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always think when I play, but my thinking is sometimes derived from instinct - I've played enough poker to "just feel" when something is off about somebody's bet size, body language, or voice without necessarily thinking about why. On the occasions where I've challenged my instinct and made a call regardless, I've been wrong every time. I use a bit of maths when calculating outs, but once again I can function without it for the most part and just know whether a bet size and my cards match with the board enough to make calling the right thing to do.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's about 50/50 for me, if i take time to think about it i often talk my self into making a bad call, half the time i'm right half the time i'm wrong. I like to play and act instantly a lot of the time but at the same time when i snap off thinking my hand is good and i am sometimes beat then ask myself why i didn't think about it all.

john harris

john harris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually know what I am going to do before my turn to act; however, it depends on how many are in the pot, how big the blinds are and my position on the table. I find myself waiting on other players but I just assume that they are playing multiple tables at once.