How to prove to your family that poker is not a game of chance?

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just lock the doors and don't let them into the room

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You're in front of the computer studying poker, trying to figure out which way to go, trying to figure it out, and you end up losing focus with family members saying this is a waste of time, that it's bad luck, that in front of me I'll see wasted time It ends up distracting us. what should be done?

Is there a step by step?

Most of the players go through that at the beginning that sometimes there is a rejection of our relatives with their prejudices with poker, because they think that it is a game of chance and in reality they do not know anything about it about poker.

I just give you one piece of advice. Show him with actions and results that poker goes beyond a game of chance and that you can make a living from poker, which is a game that is studied and analyzed and that depends more on our mental ability than on luck.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing poker for years and never won anything. We all have pastimes, it is important to be more understandable when another member of the family likes other things

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw an answer to this question on another site and I'll quote it here because I think it nails the core of the issue. The more difficult part that this quote does not address is explaining the difference between short term and long term, especially how LONG it can be. And that part can vary depending on if you're playing a tournament or cash so I'll leave that to you since I'm not sure which is relevant and to what extent for your particular situation.

Texas Poker is a game of skill in the long term and luck in the short term.
To explain why Texas Holdem Poker is a game of skill, I'll quote Dusty Schmidt "Leatherass", a very well known online player. In his book Treat Your Poker Like a Business he explains it in the most simplistic (and best) way:
To me, defining poker as a game of skill is actually quite simple. To do so, you just need to forget about winning at poker and think for a moment about losing. Is it possible to intentionally lose a poker game? Yes, of course. But is it possible to intentionally lose a game like roulette or craps?. No it's not.
In games of chance, the participant cannot control the outcome. Whether your intent is to win or lose the lottery, your odds remain the same. (...)
But in poker, your actions can influence the outcome of a hand. You will absolutely lose if you choose to fold every single hand no matter what cards you hold. If you call bets with a hand that cannot win the pot, you will also lose every time. This is the difference between a game of chance and a game of skill.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
My family always supports me and understands my hobby. So when I play poker, no one ever distracts me. But daily meditation also helps me stay focused.

T

tata777rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no doubt, but I already have that certainty and conviction that poker is not a game of chance, but of skill.:)

And yet, if only garbage cards come all the time, it's hard to play. Luck is an important factor.:)

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think you need to focus and keep learning the game. Criticism should not be taken into account. You need to focus and work on achieving this goal.
Good luck.

Sariane

Sariane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just lock the doors and don't let them into the room

lol, I'm looking for ways to do that. thanks for the comment

Close to my thinking. I was going to say something similar I remember from the poker movie Rounders. Something like:

"Some people think poker is just luck. It can't be just luck. If it was, then how do you explain the same pros making the final tables consistently?"
Fair, great reasoning and answer given. each has a vision and it is up to respect.

Poker is a mental sports and a game of skill with the element of luck in it. It's like chess, but better. Why is better? Because in chess the newbie won't play for money with grossmeister, until he has too much and want to do somekind of weird charity act to him.
In Poker you can see this all the time, all that thank to this element of luck.

I always love to repeat one poker quote, when it comes to that "Luck/Skill in Poker" topics:

That's so true and it's crucial to understand the concept of poker distance and variance.

Totally right, I would say even more about 8-9% of all players are in plus on long run and maybe 10% more breakeven. That's how it is. But it doesn't mean, that it's impossible.

The numbers are like that because absolutely most of the people take poker as their fun hobby. They hardly study it or not enough. They don't input enough (or at all) hours to learn math, strategies behind it, to create ranges and analyze hands, not buying GTO, tracking, flop analyze software, coaching, courses in order to become stronger and level up.

They just play micro limits now and again after work or at weekends for fun. Making sometimes shots for bigger limits, bust their bankrolls and comeback to freerolls or micros again. They don't make things complicated studying everyday and input numbers in their bankroll sheet after each game. No table select, no game plan, no game analytics.
They don't do all that work, which Pros and Ambitious Regs do. And that's where the difference come from.

Professionals are not more lucky, they just input much more work and hours in this game and that is why they're better.

I agree, but the irony is, that exactly this will be 95% of luck - winning one huge field MTT. :D
So the conclusion is: If you want to impress people, who far away from understanding what poker is all about - show them a single big win in a Multi-table Tournament. If you want to impress a Pro or a good Regular - show them your upward going graph after 3000+ tournaments played. :)
No comments for your answers. wonderful, and I'm learning

Hi.
I think you need to focus and keep learning the game. Criticism should not be taken into account. You need to focus and work on achieving this goal.
Good luck.
thanks, this is exactly the side I'm going to work on ... thanks for interacting with me

I saw an answer to this question on another site and I'll quote it here because I think it nails the core of the issue. The more difficult part that this quote does not address is explaining the difference between short term and long term, especially how LONG it can be. And that part can vary depending on if you're playing a tournament or cash so I'll leave that to you since I'm not sure which is relevant and to what extent for your particular situation.

wonderful and clear your interaction with this enlightening answer is not only for me and for many. thank you

And yet, if only garbage cards come all the time, it's hard to play. Luck is an important factor.:)
I think that even with the worst card, the player with skill and notion of poker does well. after all we study to deal with the worst cards too

I've been playing poker for years and never won anything. We all have pastimes, it is important to be more understandable when another member of the family likes other things

never won anything like that ... I'm a beginner and being able to take first place in a guaranteed MTT 200 with the basics I know about poker, something is wrong

Hello.
My family always supports me and understands my hobby. So when I play poker, no one ever distracts me. But daily meditation also helps me stay focused.
this is very rewarding, i hope one day i get there. and I can say that with all the love in the world for you

Just win a Sunday Million and they'll stop thinking like that, I assure you

I'm in the rain to get wet ... I may not be able to win today because the variance is really big, one more day I get there lol.

I decided to create this topic from nothing, and I was very happy with everyone's interaction. thank you, very good to see the way that everyone sees poker ..

Last edited by a moderator:
theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are not children long ago and why should I have to prove anything to anybody

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple math lesson and hand history should prove it is not a game of chance. If you run some sample hands from HH, math should stand up. If so, it is not a game of chance.

I've always felt that chance (luck) will run both ways and the more skilled players are going to show profits. Good luck with you're quest of convincing.

shibdevvar

shibdevvar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My relatives and family don't know anything about poker so i just tell them that i am playing a game.. and thinking as a normal mobile game

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
if you're good enough, you can invite them to the "friendly" poker game and show them your skills.
:)
Especially if you can count the cards, and tell them what they (may) have and what would/should they do....

you see my point?

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
difficult task...

It would be a very difficult task to explain to them, but not impossible, because they are not interested in the hobby that I have had for years, I just think they could be interested if later I spent more time playing and being able to collect more winnings.
Mostly they wouldn't understand that poker is not just a matter of luck, but rather the ability to read plays.:cool::cool:

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jus win baby! $$$ Show'em the green,as they say,,, :aetsch: $$$

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in the same shoes, but motivation can come outside our boundaries. Look at us, how many are we, and we sharing the same passion.
It's a brain game, don't let your brain struggleing. When I'm down I go to the forum or looking for professionals who started from 0$ and rewatch their progression which make me a happier poker player. Everyone who feel miserable in poker life by the environment that they live in, sending you a big virtual hug!!! :)

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Focus on following your goal in poker. You say that your entire family does not support you in your goal of playing poker, well, what if you had 2 goals? If there is something else that you are passionate about besides poker, or at least that you like, what could it be? For example, is there something you liked to study in college? This would not only be for the opinion of your family, this could also help yourself.

Last edited:
DRIVEN

DRIVEN

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As my family saying it is a gambling...
I can't explain them that it is not

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As they say - proof is in the pudding. First thing that you can do is to tell them that you like the game and treat it as a hobby. If they see that you balance your free time between poker and other duties/hobbies and do not risk too much money they should accept it at least as a strange (for them) hobby. At later stage if you start earning money and winning consistently they may look in a different way at poker.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are in front of the computer studying poker, trying to figure out which way to go, trying to find out, and you end up losing focus with family members saying that this is a waste of time, that it is bad luck, that in front of me I will see the lost time. it ends up deconcentrating us. what should be done?

is there a step by step?
Here:

When I know something to be true, I don't feel the need to convince anyone else.

It's up to them to discover the truth for themselves and it doesn't affect me if they live their lives believing something which is incorrect.

As for family members disturbing your concentration while you play- this is unacceptable. You must arrange yourself quiet, peaceful places where you can focus on your game in solitude or with people who understand you must not be distracted.

Regards,

Last edited:
O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pay more attention to your family AND EVERYTHING WILL BE GOOD !!!!

C

Clean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in front of the computer studying poker, trying to figure out which way to go, trying to find out, and you end up losing focus with family members saying that this is a waste of time, that it is bad luck, that in front of me I will see the lost time. it ends up deconcentrating us. what should be done?

is there a step by step?
Poker is gambling, so it is a game of chance

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

is there a step by step?

Hi Sariane!

This is a great question, and without a doubt one that all new poker players experience.

The first thing we must do is concede that poker IS a game INVOLVING chance. It is not a game of pure chance, but to say that luck doesn't come into play will typically lead to people not listening to you or thinking you are delusional.

Once we acknowledge that luck exists, we can then go on to speak about ways to minimize the effects of luck and maximize the elements of skill in our play.

Some examples:
-Cash games have less luck than tournament
-Sitting with deep stacks has less luck than short stacked play
-Listing the things we can control (game selection, seat selection, when we put money in the pot, etc.)

And you can go on with this.

The main thing to mention is that given you CHOOSE when you invest money in the pot, and that the bets are of variable sizing this is where skill comes in and money can be made.

That being said, a lot of people have already made their mind up and just aren't interested in having it changed. I found in these cases the best way to get understanding is to show an interest in their interests, listen to what they know about that 'you don't understand' and maybe they will return the favor.

Here is a video I made to help with this

And one of my students Charlie Carrel went so far as to make a powerpoint presentation to explain it to his family. It's all how much you want to invest in educating others :)

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Poker is not just luck

Hi Sariane!

This is a great question, and without a doubt one that all new poker players experience.

The first thing we must do is concede that poker IS a game INVOLVING chance. It is not a game of pure chance, but to say that luck doesn't come into play will typically lead to people not listening to you or thinking you are delusional.

Once we acknowledge that luck exists, we can then go on to speak about ways to minimize the effects of luck and maximize the elements of skill in our play.

Some examples:
-Cash games have less luck than tournament
-Sitting with deep stacks has less luck than short stacked play
-Listing the things we can control (game selection, seat selection, when we put money in the pot, etc.)

And you can go on with this.

The main thing to mention is that given you CHOOSE when you invest money in the pot, and that the bets are of variable sizing this is where skill comes in and money can be made.

That being said, a lot of people have already made their mind up and just aren't interested in having it changed. I found in these cases the best way to get understanding is to show an interest in their interests, listen to what they know about that 'you don't understand' and maybe they will return the favor.

Here is a video I made to help with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue6Ys0yq6B8

And one of my students Charlie Carrel went so far as to make a powerpoint presentation to explain it to his family. It's all how much you want to invest in educating others :)

When I started playing I thought that luck was decisive. But as I have continued playing I have learned some strategies that help me to reach the bubble more and more often and win tournaments of up to 3000 to 5000 players. It is definitely not just luck. You have to learn to play. Although luck always plays its role.:cool:

Top 10 Games