How to prove to your family that poker is not a game of chance?

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

The most important thing is to prove yourself that you can win at poker, the family in the long or short term will understand your path, your life choices. Respect yourself first

:qc4::qh4: Queens nature and life

S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best proof is your profit in poker, when you clearly show that it is real to make money with this, then all other questions will disappear by themselves.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in front of the computer studying poker, trying to figure out which way to go, trying to find out, and you end up losing focus with family members saying that this is a waste of time, that it is bad luck, that in front of me I will see the lost time. it ends up deconcentrating us. what should be done?

is there a step by step?

Yup, tell them you won $10K last week and watch their attitude change, lol

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Yikes.
Poker is a game of chance. What you are trying at the poker table is to apply some skill to secure the best chances for yourself.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi.
My family knows I play poker and you understand it, but they also know that it is not something that I am addicted to or anything like that, poker is a nice hobby in my life. I don't consider myself addicted to gambling or anything.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My Parents were always concerned about me playing Poker saying it was dangerous to gamble and I told them not to worry because I was only going to play free-rolls so it cost me nothing and they asked well why play if it cost's nothing to play surely you cannot win anything? and I had to explain why they offer free-rolls.
Because for every player like me that plays for the love of the game there are a thousand others thinking they can become millionaires and never have to work again.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
The only way I can prove that it is a skilled game is to win one and show them the money. Say something like, "See, if poker was a game of chance, I would not have this money. I won this because I am a skilled, educated, player." Do that at Christmas time, buy them a gift with it. Let them know how you got the money or just smile and know. Been there done that! LOL.
Dan'O

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Believe in yourself,and be true to yourself...

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Girl i've been playing poker since I turned 18 and my family has always been against it. In life do what you like and love without worrying about what anyone thinks about it even family members, ignore them for a while if that's what it takes. The only way you will prove to them is by winning and showing them money in the future but again don't ever worry about if they believe in you or not. Just believe in your self.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i started to constantly add some money in the family budget things got better.

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My girlfriend was on my ass about "gambling my money away" (money i had set aside for the purposes of gaming with, btw). She changed her tune when I showed here cashouts totaling over $10,000 USD that went right into a stock portfolio, Roth IRA, some crypto currency investments and yet still in the black around $1300 AFTER taking a $2300 loss the other night. She still has aversion to my obsession to it, but is more permissive given she observes how much time I spend studying the game itself. That said, I'm not quitting my day job or anything. As long as the rent/bills are paid and I'm able to buy whatever is needed at the time I don't think she cares that much anymore - but for a while she was really, um "concerned" about my "gambling addiction." She's not interested in the nuances of what makes the game beatable or how variance affects things long term. Basically, I don't talk to her much about it unless I'm showing her a substantial cashout. I try and keep poker out of our regular life. Kinda like they express in the book "Treat Poker like a Business." The two have to be separate. I can talk about cards with other card players, and as long as we're not financially destitute she's not giving me shit about playing cards anymore.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WIN! Thats all the proof you need! but poker is a game of chance any 2 cards can win. its not what you have its what they think you have.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You are in front of the computer studying poker, trying to figure out which way to go, trying to find out, and you end up losing focus with family members saying that this is a waste of time, that it is bad luck, that in front of me I will see the lost time. it ends up deconcentrating us. what should be done?

is there a step by step?

If the money is yours and you're not spending all of your savings or compromising your espences so you've got nothing to prove. Don't let them embarrass your fun and your poker development and keep loving them. All the best for you!:)

Sariane

Sariane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing is to prove yourself that you can win at poker, the family in the long or short term will understand your path, your life choices. Respect yourself first

:qc4::qh4: Queens nature and life
Exactly, we have nowhere to start explaining why everyone understands in a way. more are already seeing otherwise

The best proof is your profit in poker, when you clearly show that it is real to make money with this, then all other questions will disappear by themselves.
soon I will be able to show my progress in poker, more at the moment I am finding knowledge.

It would be a very difficult task to explain to them, but not impossible, because they are not interested in the hobby that I have had for years, I just think they could be interested if later I spent more time playing and being able to collect more winnings.
Mostly they wouldn't understand that poker is not just a matter of luck, but rather the ability to read plays.:cool::cool:
perfect your analysis, congratulations. it's nice to be able to know the history of each one, get used to and run after materials that help me evolve in poker

We are not children long ago and why should I have to prove anything to anybody
It is not the fact that we are children or not, nor prove anything to anyone. more poker is starting in my life now and has a great desire to learn and the fact that we are on the PC for a long time questioning the people around us. and how to do or act? so I made this topic for me to analyze how I should act in face of this.

Simple math lesson and hand history should prove it is not a game of chance. If you run some sample hands from HH, math should stand up. If so, it is not a game of chance.

I've always felt that chance (luck) will run both ways and the more skilled players are going to show profits. Good luck with you're quest of convincing.
perfect, I think it really is that way. looking to know more about the area we will undoubtedly get to the profit part and be able to show in fact that poker is not just bad luck

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4

When I know something to be true, I don't feel the need to convince anyone else.

It's up to them to discover the truth for themselves and it doesn't affect me if they live their lives believing something which is incorrect.

As for family members disturbing your concentration while you play- this is unacceptable. You must arrange yourself quiet, peaceful places where you can focus on your game in solitude or with people who understand you must not be distracted.

Regards,
maraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavilhoso! wonderful song. what incredible words. That's exactly it. thanks

Hi Sariane!

This is a great question, and without a doubt one that all new poker players experience.

The first thing we must do is concede that poker IS a game INVOLVING chance. It is not a game of pure chance, but to say that luck doesn't come into play will typically lead to people not listening to you or thinking you are delusional.

Once we acknowledge that luck exists, we can then go on to speak about ways to minimize the effects of luck and maximize the elements of skill in our play.

Some examples:
-Cash games have less luck than tournament
-Sitting with deep stacks has less luck than short stacked play
-Listing the things we can control (game selection, seat selection, when we put money in the pot, etc.)

And you can go on with this.

The main thing to mention is that given you CHOOSE when you invest money in the pot, and that the bets are of variable sizing this is where skill comes in and money can be made.

That being said, a lot of people have already made their mind up and just aren't interested in having it changed. I found in these cases the best way to get understanding is to show an interest in their interests, listen to what they know about that 'you don't understand' and maybe they will return the favor.

Here is a video I made to help with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue6Ys0yq6B8

And one of my students Charlie Carrel went so far as to make a powerpoint presentation to explain it to his family. It's all how much you want to invest in educating others :)
thank you for sharing your experience with me, beautiful way to encourage people including me. gratifying. thanks! thanks! all said with much explanation and love.

Last edited by a moderator:
ranynight

ranynight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
results is a great statement to prove that ) My mom trusted me when i won my first 1k$

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
keep wining for a long time .

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The same thing happened to me when I started playing poker, then I showed them that it is a game of skill and not luck as they believed, after that they understood what it was about. Although to be honest I do not play it that often and also I am not a professional, and I try not to neglect the other things

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simply show them consistent yearly supplemental income....:)

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The best explanation I ever heard was from someone in the blackjack world. A game of chance is one where you cannot influence the outcome. For example, at the craps table you can bet on the roll of the dice but you cannot, legally at least, cause a certain number to come up. You are dependent upon what the dice do. Poker on the other hand is a game of skill because you have the ability to influence the outcome by how you bet and play your hand.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Be patient and show that you are serious and organized, and when the first good results come, show them only some of them. Generally, finding the right mesure in your actions will create good results.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, let me tell you this, poker is partly a game of chance. So it is impossible to prove the contrary.

Top 10 Games