How to prove to your family that poker is not a game of chance?

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buy them Christmas presents and say the money comes from tournament winnings.

C

Chel_nv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think no matter how, because parents know much better that poker is a gambling game, because this is its direct purpose, if poker was not a gambling game, I think people would not be so fond of it, but would find something that gives excitement in other things or games. Either play when there is no one around or to have people around those who do not condemn and support you.

P

PYO88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There’s clearly a part of chance like any other card games..but mixed with a good part of strategy and knowledge (as being able to see the possibles hands of orhers players)

T

Trestivo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also like to know but it really doesn't matter what they think or stop thinking as long as money is coming into my account = D

P

PYO88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply not trying is the best way not being involved in an unwanted discussion lol

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do not have to show that it is not a game of just luck because if it is, what you must demonstrate is your ability playing this game and show them that you can beat the luck of others.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not the fact that we are children or not, nor prove anything to anyone. more poker is starting in my life now and has a great desire to learn and the fact that we are on the PC for a long time questioning the people around us. and how to do or act? so I made this topic for me to analyze how I should act in face of this.
children have to justify their actions and behavior and why would we justify ourselves to anyone because of our hobby

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Poker includes chance, but it also takes a lot more than that. Stick to your thoughts.

M

Mm Kk 601

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So let me tell you this, poker is kind of a game of luck. So it's impossible to prove the opposite.

At least my relatives are against it. They have their own opinion on this. Until I try to convince them.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can sustain a supplement income through poker for a long period of time,then you can convince them that you are not wasting time and money

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are in front of the computer studying poker, trying to figure out which way to go, trying to find out, and you end up losing focus with family members saying that this is a waste of time, that it is bad luck, that in front of me I will see the lost time. it ends up deconcentrating us. what should be done?

is there a step by step?

If it's your computer, just play in your room and lock the door, they must respect your privacy.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think that you have not trying to prove it for them. Dont ask anything for anyone and go ahead by yourself. When good results begin to rise, so they'll say: "sounds good'. But they will say that you was lucky. Then, work hard!

oarroyo

oarroyo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PY
Chips
The best way is to teach him to play, and show him that you win, money! Then they will tell you to play if you give them things!

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my family says that I am wasting time but I ignore it, I tried to explain it but it was wasted time, it is no use explaining it to those who don't want to understand!:deal::deal::deal::deal:

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of skill, but it can also become gambling if you don't keep yourself in control. My family understands me and does not criticize me about the game, for which many thanks to them.

mardasenia

mardasenia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing here is not to get lost to yourself, because any card game for money is a gamble! On the one hand, I believe that this is entertainment as a hobby, but on the other hand, it is excitement and disappointment.

soLdaTeS88

soLdaTeS88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just don't play poker. Thus, you will prove that this is not a gamble)

Poker is passion. Therefore, you cannot prove otherwise until you stop playing.

R

richardpro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my father played cards for years, today he became an evangelical, I have to hide playing, because he already has a broad view of this.

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a hard thing to do many people thinks it's all luck but if you know what you are doing its a lot different thinking on this subject confidence and knowing the math is different story is definitely a mathematical game and percentage game and that process

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone will always criticize our choices so the best thing to do is to ignore it and when it is possible to present the results of this effort.

Goblingerty

Goblingerty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only one step, ignore them.

:top:
Haha, only have an issue with hubby, who can't see past the down side of gambling & sarcastically asks when he can retire on my winnings, lol. All my (mid to late 20's) kids play poker with me as I used to run the local pub poker league venue :D

That is a hard thing to do many people thinks it's all luck but if you know what you are doing its a lot different thinking on this subject confidence and knowing the math is different story is definitely a mathematical game and percentage game and that process

Its not just the cards you play, but the players too, face to face is totally different to online, trying not to give anything away with facial or bodily gestures & a big ol set of brass balls helps too :confused::p

Last edited by a moderator:
meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think we don't need to prove nothing. But the best way is results. Winning sessions could explain good that there's no only luck.

meagain00

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Might sound like a joke answer but im so serious. Show them 100k in profit and they will take you VERY seriously.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the real question is why do you feel the need to justify what you are doing to your family?

As long as you have faith and enjoy what you are doing, then there is no need to explain the math and probabilities behind poker. No need to explain game theory, AI / Machine Learning behind poker bots. No need to go into detail how a computer can beat "games", but hasn't solved poker yet.

Hopefully there's enough there.

Top 10 Games