How much of poker is skill and how much is luck?

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
There is a great quote from poker player Chris Ferguson:
"One day in poker is 90% luck and 10% skill. One year in poker consists of 10% luck and 90% skill."

I think that this is actually the case, since you may be lucky in a single hand, but only the distance will show how good you are at playing poker)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How long is a piece of string?

Luck and skill are both unmeasurable and impossible to define, there are a lot of numbers out there but in my opinion non can be proven mathematically,
I have had some luck in my life but when it comes down to Poker, I believe Luck plays a part, but Skill will always win in the long term.

Danaire72

Danaire72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
I have always thought and I have said that poker is 50% knowing how to play, 20% perseverance and 30% luck. Each percentage plays an important role, since you can know how to play a lot, but if you do not have that % of luck you will not win, and the % of perseverance is due to always being constant every day learning to play, discipline and perseverance will help you in your learning.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100% skill

Once you are able to see beyond the micro results (1 MTT at a time) and view the big picture, you are able to transcend the illusion of luck.

"Luck" is just a word we agreed to use for short term variations in probability distribution. If I agree to go allin in a spot I win 80% of the time versus a different spot where I only win 40% of the time, I have used skillful means to put myself in the best position to win. The outcome doesn't matter, I used my skill to increase my ROI/win probability. Luck is literally an illusion of separating events into tiny segments.

Here is another example: Let's say I have a 2 friends who like to gamble on flipping a coin (heads or tails). Friend A will give me 1:1 odds on the coin flip (the true even odds), while Friend B will give me 2:1 odds (he's a crazy gambler!). If I choose to flip with friend A, a $10 bet will net me $10 in profit (if I win), while a flip with Friend B of that same $10 will net me $20 in profit (if I win). My skill rests is choosing the correct friend to flip with (obviously Friend B) and allowing the results to be (I've used skillful means to put myself in a long term profitable situation). Whether or not I win the flip is irrelevant, the "luck" is only an illusion of viewing the situation as 1 specific flip. In reality, I'm actually quite "lucky" to have a friend willing to give me 2:1 odds on a coinflip.

So back to poker, if we lose an 80/20 to get KO'd in an MTT we could tell ourselves we were "lucky" to have someone at the table willing to take a spot with terrible equity against us. The more and more this happens, the "luckier" we are! ;)

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would very much like it to be 50-50. But alas. It seems to me that 30 percent are most likely for skill. Although if you value unpredictability in poker, that's even a good thing.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would very much like it to be 50-50. But alas. It seems to me that 30 percent are most likely for skill. Although if you value unpredictability in poker, that's even a good thing.
Agree with you! It is impossible to win a tournament without luck. And considering the peculiarities of the online poker with often strange "river" the luck should be more than 60%.

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In normal tourneys i believe is somewhere between 75% skill and 25% luck,but in fact i really have no idea XD
Anyway skill its more important aways,if you playing good the all time and luck gives you a bad beat you still will be in your way to win
God bless