How much of poker is skill and how much is luck?

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a great quote from poker player Chris Ferguson:
"One day in poker is 90% luck and 10% skill. One year in poker consists of 10% luck and 90% skill."

I think that this is actually the case, since you may be lucky in a single hand, but only the distance will show how good you are at playing poker)
The problem is if a hand with a lower probability wins a lot more times, then it always loses kkkkk.

So, the luck of your cards being at the top of the deck will always determine the outcome.

O

OLexZTS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think luck is more about freeroll and skill it is about money tournaments.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think it's 90 percent your game level 10 percent luck, but of course luck will play a big role behind the game, so this also affects the role of when you're lucky at the right time or not

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
My thought of the game is as follows.
I can not give percentages to your question, but there is a well-known saying that says "you have to help luck"
Poker is a game of very important mathematical variables.
The hand you choose to play must be a hand that within the mathematical variables at showdown favors your game.
Now that's where reasoning and skill come in. To be clear that according to the table you play against several opponents.
Intelligence is in seeing how your opponents act. How they work in different positions at the table. If they limp, miniraise or 3 bet why do they do it???
And as I told you at the beginning, luck must be accompanied. It is not the same to go allin with 29 than with J10s to cite any example.
Or to cite another example paying with a 22 after seeing a 3bet 4bet or even 5 bet or allin on the table is crazy. It also depends on your chip stack but you already know that if there is a 5 bet or allin entry you are sure to win with your 44 in hand so that's where you bet exclusively on luck.
Patience is another fundamental factor.
So ultimately without putting percentages on it, for me poker is a combination of mathematical variables, skill, reasoning, intelligence, patience and luck.
Then if you want to put a percentage on each of these, do it.
From now on, as my partner Luvepoker says, in the long run the players who impose their skill are the profitable ones, the rest falls by the wayside.
greetings friend:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
it all depends on your style of playing it your decision on how you want to play based on math or luck , pretty simple ah ?! :)

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends a lot on the day, if it rains or shines, if you're drunk 100% of the winnings are 99% luck, poker was invented by rascals to make innocent money

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I would say that with a high or medium stack, it would be more skill than luck, but with a low stack, it would be more luck than skill.

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think it’s about 70 percent skill and 30 percent luck. The more tournaments you play, the less the luck component is on the bottom line.

pasha poltava

pasha poltava

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I agree 50 to 50, if luck is not on your side, no solvers and any programs will help you, and there is also a risk, lady luck loves the brave!

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very good question and in my opinion it depends on how many tournaments or hands you play.
I can't agree with the arguments that poker is 60% skill.
Most players play mostly only 1 tournament or one table at a time. The people who are in profit belong to the 5% of poker players. With such players I agree that you make profit in the long run, especially since these players play a bunch of hands.
But what many forget is that the average player plays far fewer hands. This significantly increases the amount of luck.
Let's take a turbo tournament as an example. You can be the best player in the world and still be first out of the tournament with 2 aces if the situation arises.
In the long run, skills are the deciding factor. But you have to get there first. Since not everyone makes it, there are only 5% of all players who are successful in poker.

So I think the statement is not right, because a long endurance is also an important skill that many do not have. But this is a prerequisite to increase the skill share compared to the luck share.

Another example:
Fedor Holz "was" enormously successful not only because of his talent, but also because he played an incredible number of hands. He sat for more than 8 hours a day and played poker non-stop. Now that he has retired and plays only as much as the average player, you hear far less from him.
We should learn from this and work much more on "perseverance" and discipline if we want to be so successful. Fedor, I think, can and could keep his emotional thoughts well under control.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's clearly far more skill than most have said above. If you look at the big events it's always pretty much the same people making the money. You can't say they just get luckier than everyone else....so let's study and work hard to climb the ranks !!!!!

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a chance-based game. Pokerskill is mostly concerned with controlling chance or risk, if you prefer. Poker will never be like chess,
where it is theoretically conceivable to win every single hand. However, there is a rationale behind why the same players consistently
place in the top three at important competitions. Probability is a science, and it makes up half of the poker skill equation.
The other component of poker expertise is the ability to read and understand people.

Mogulkahn

Mogulkahn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
80% luck 20% skill
no matter how good u are if u run bad in the flips u will never win anything
absolutely argree with you, when it not of you day - you never win.

But I think the distance will equal your skill and luck :geek:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My thought of the game is as follows.
I can not give percentages to your question, but there is a well-known saying that says "you have to help luck"
Poker is a game of very important mathematical variables.
The hand you choose to play must be a hand that within the mathematical variables at showdown favors your game.
Now that's where reasoning and skill come in. To be clear that according to the table you play against several opponents.
Intelligence is in seeing how your opponents act. How they work in different positions at the table. If they limp, miniraise or 3 bet why do they do it???
And as I told you at the beginning, luck must be accompanied. It is not the same to go allin with 29 than with J10s to cite any example.
Or to cite another example paying with a 22 after seeing a 3bet 4bet or even 5 bet or allin on the table is crazy. It also depends on your chip stack but you already know that if there is a 5 bet or allin entry you are sure to win with your 44 in hand so that's where you bet exclusively on luck.
Patience is another fundamental factor.
So ultimately without putting percentages on it, for me poker is a combination of mathematical variables, skill, reasoning, intelligence, patience and luck.
Then if you want to put a percentage on each of these, do it.
From now on, as my partner Luvepoker says, in the long run the players who impose their skill are the profitable ones, the rest falls by the wayside.
greetings friend:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

I love the way you think. ❤😊