How much of poker is skill and how much is luck?

722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I really liked that answer! Thank you... I have to learn a lot of things about the poker environment, maybe I need to read.
Check out the 30 day course here and also have a look into the 4-2 rule :) if I can think of some others I’ll post em here, been a long day lol

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Check out the 30 day course here and also have a look into the 4-2 rule :) if I can think of some others I’ll post em here, been a long day lol

Do the above & play micros or free rolls for a month & if you haven't changed your opinion I would suggest another hobby. Welcome to the forum & good luck at the tables.

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At every single hand is 90 % luck and the rest is skill.
In the (very) long run is 97 % skill the rest luck.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I like these kinds of debates...Pre-flop or when you both miss the flop, then it's 70% skill , you'll be crushed by the better player.

Reversed when flopping top pair (good kicker), open ender or nut flush draw and you'll crush any skilled player holding air. They are going to have to rep a set....and show up with it. Because if you are not playing aggressively back at them with good holding and a draw to the nuts....you would be better off playing Bingo with the grannies!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the ratio of skill to luck is about 70/30 percent. But in general, I am convinced that the more skillful and experienced a player is, the more chances he has for luck in the long run.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that 80% is knowing how to play and 20% is luck. I believe that knowing how to play will give you more profits throughout your life. I hope you're as lucky at the tables as I am.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would say that 80% is knowing how to play and 20% is luck. I believe that knowing how to play will give you more profits throughout your life. I hope you're as lucky at the tables as I am.
Professional poker players say that skill is 95%, and luck is only 5%. And I agree with them, because the more skills and knowledge you have, the more money you win. And luck is a secondary indicator.

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
How long does it take to decrease the impact of luck from 50% to 20%? Then 20% to 5%? Both in terms of learning and practice as well as playing enough hands for the luck to be reduced

A

AndreB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
for me more skill is in the tournament and more luck, gambling is in mode like all in or fold or spin gold etc

Jogo4

Jogo4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it will depend on the type of tournament you play and site.
If you play tournaments with rebuys and bad beats, it will always happen on the river for you to put money in, if you play with tickets, luck doesn't usually follow that much, if you study a lot just play micro tournaments, luck won't follow because most recreational players enter.
Luck will be with you if you learn to be suspicious of good cards in bad positions.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Most professionals win more and more money, and if they lose everything, then they are not professionals, but ordinary fish
You watch too much TV...but any time you'd like to engage with the question asked it would be appreciated.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
66,66% - mastery, 33,33% - luck.
I, too, before opening this topic, thought that the influence of skill and luck in tournaments is about 70% by 30%. But, i think that when playing online due to the influence of the RNG of poker rooms, this ratio changes to this: 50% by 50% :D ))

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Of course its luck. I dont want to say 100% but pretty close. I give 10% to skills, or i say its more like diligence or hard work what you need besides luck to be profitable.

How people can say its more skills, im amazed. :) I dont know any profession, or anything att all, where you can get kick in the head for months, by only doing right thing, doing best possible decicions. Folks, its a card game, and those 52 cards on the deck,+other players+all the hidden knowledge, etc., make sure, that only the luckiest ones make serious money. Hard work helps sure, and that 10+% can carry you deeper in the tournaments then others yes, but to win money often enough to make living from it, you need to win those 45/55 or so situations at the end of tournaments.

I dont know. For me this is obvious. If i build a house just like intructions says, doing it correct by the book god damn ten times, and still, at some point house falls down. :)

If something needs studying and training and hours of work, i like to get rewarded from that, im earning that money without feeling lucky at all :)

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Before I opened this topic, I also thought that the impact of skill and luck in tournaments was about 70% to 30%. But I think that when playing online due to the influence of RNG poker rooms, this ratio changes to 50% to 50% :D))
It's possible.
I don't think my opinion is accurate.