Do You Believe in Streaks of Bad Luck?

Narciso

Narciso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really happens the Downswing, I spent a week losing all the hands of AA and QQ, I started to be afraid of those hands!

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All I know is that I have never run hot in poker once. Never. (I've only played online). At this point I've been playing HUSNG's and I started out winning like crazy and now the exact same players beat me 17 out of 20 games. No matter what I do, I lose. Doesn't matter if the money goes in with me a 90% favorite. I get rivered. Every time we're in shove mode, he has better. When he doesn't, he hits gold on the board.

I'm a relatively intelligent person and I've never found anything so impossible as making a profit in online poker. I'm just about ready to pull all of my money off the sites I'm on and call it quits. I mean, it's just not healthy to sit there and get ripped off all day and night. You should see these hands these guys get in HUSNG's: Full houses two, three times a game...quads all the time, flushes all the time, sets all the time. The hands that I'm being beat by in Heads Up are not the kind of hands you usually see winning pots there. Just monster, after monster, after monster handed to a guy with 60/0/0 stats. He just sits back and gets fed. Never, ever seen anything like that in live poker.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really happens the Downswing, I spent a week losing all the hands of AA and QQ, I started to be afraid of those hands!

...If the variance is that ridiculous, I don't see how anyone can call this a skill game. I've never seen any evidence of such. I've just seen the only players who win being the ones who have enough time on their hands to play 360 days a year. Volume seems to be all that matters.

I think the future of poker, online and off, is pretty bleak. Today's a different world than it was in 2006. Very, very few people are going to spend time, money, energy, etc all studying and preparing for something that might not pay off at all. No matter how well they do. People want instant gratification and results today and who could blame them? It's a fast paced world. A game that regularly rewards the losing player just doesn't seem to fit into the world today.

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In fact, such bad luck is a down swing. I believe so. You're a bit lucky when you go out with AA and it holds until the end (river). On the contrary, when your AA can not hold and lose to another hand ends up being bad luck. I sometimes have an instinct not to pay certain hands, and when I pay, I end up regretting it. And there are other times that my instinct tells me to pay with not very good hands and I end up hitting the hand and winning many chips. I believe there is. It is the strength of your thinking that attracts you to luck. You have to always think positive and look for positive opportunities.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact, such bad luck is a down swing. I believe so. You're a bit lucky when you go out with AA and it holds until the end (river). On the contrary, when your AA can not hold and lose to another hand ends up being bad luck. I sometimes have an instinct not to pay certain hands, and when I pay, I end up regretting it. And there are other times that my instinct tells me to pay with not very good hands and I end up hitting the hand and winning many chips. I believe there is. It is the strength of your thinking that attracts you to luck. You have to always think positive and look for positive opportunities.

When you get literally robbed 15, 20, 25 sit and go's in a row, you're going to tilt and that's the end of it. Any player who claims that they're a zen master is part of the cartel which is stealing money from us on the US facing sites. Nobody can keep their cool through runs like that. Only people who claim to online.

You're right: The odds don't seem to mean much. I see guys just basically do everything you're specifically told not to do and because the deck hits them over and over, they win money. roulette and craps have treated me fairer, personally.

S

Sacredoro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad luck streaks happen. Every time I get cracked, or lose a game I know I played well, I will tend to let me emotions get to me and try to win my money back.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad luck streaks happen. Every time I get cracked, or lose a game I know I played well, I will tend to let me emotions get to me and try to win my money back.

I don't really see the point to playing a game where the guy who was outplayed wins. I think it's time to get rid of NLHE and come up with a variant that's actually skill based. NLHE is really random and like pure gambling. I know winning players like to pretend otherwise but that's just ego. They put in a lot of volume, so they make money. The skill gaps between players don't mean as much as people like to pretend they do. If the deck's nicer to player a than player b, player a will almost always win.

It's not profitable anymore. The odds and profit margins make the house and a handful of players on each network make money. Everyone else loses.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,

I often find my self in having forexample on monday a lot of luck. Winning every hand in which I have 25% odds. And the next day I find my self having trouble winning hands in which I have at least 80% odds.

My question is, do you believe that there does something excist (not a god or something like that ofcourse) that makes you having those bad luck, goodluck streaks?

I often hear that people have something like a tallisman around, a cardprotector that they believe brings luck or something else. Do you believe in that kind of stuff, because I am starting to believe in those.

I believe in everything that helps me win :)

F

felix96

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you believe in bad luck streaks?

Yes, variance and great nonsense. You can study, plan the strategy, but there is always the luck factor that gives you a creep.

Y

Yoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling...loto.. poker roulette in my language are called "Jocurii de noroc"" if i will translate word by word it will be Jocurii=Games de=of noroc=luck:)) so some were the LUCKY day may be somehow involved in our play it is on how you individual are to escape decent by a unlucky day or how much you can profit from a lucky day,they are in our game for sure from my point of view.

N

nielrp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a day that all is wrong, there are certainly bad luck days.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad streak continues. 3+ years now. Again, I'm playing HUSNGs and I'm getting destroyed by flushes, full houses, JJ+ pre, just over and over and over again. It never ends. No matter what I do, they have better. I'll sit there 200-300 hands battling people in regs and then get the money in as an 80% favorite, only to lose. These players aren't even rasing with JJ+ pre, they're checking down full houses, and the deck NEVER stops slamming them.

I mean, how do you explain that? Variance? 3+ years of it? This is ALL that's ever gone on since I've been playing online poker. Nothing but the above all day, all night, no matter the variant or stake. Just absolutely robbed and ripped off constantly. The worst players on the site have taken $40 from me in $2 and $3 HUSNGs by literally just pressing buttons. At a certain point, enough is enough. How many years can someone go through that before they just walk? You would think I'd get lucky every once in a while. I can't ever, ever remember getting a lucky break. Ever. That's dead truth. I mean, the stray hand here or there where I was an underdog but every flush I have is beaten, it's set over set constantly, KK into AA constantly, 99 vs 22? He'll spike the 2 EVERY time. I'm not making this up, either. I've never been so unsuccessful at anything and it's not even my fault. I don't know what else to say except that this game seems extremely flawed to me right now. The worst players you can imagine are winning money and I'm not. It's enough to make you want to just uninstall and quit.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just played another one. Players are drunk in the chat, laughing, throwing money all around like it's nothing and EVERY hand they have a monster now. It's just totally out of control. I turn it on and it's just like getting held up. Highway robbery. I'm telling you: This is rigged and there's just no way it's not. $2 HUSNG are not supposed to be the most challenging thing a human being has ever encountered. In my case, it is. Nothing works, everything goes against me, and it's clearly, clearly rigged. I don't know what else to say. Variance doesn't go on and on and on and on. That's what makes it variance.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I do. Not only in just a bad run but some people are just luckier then others. This applies to just about everything in life.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another one. As soon as the guy got frustrated and started calling me a fish for not going all in with him, we wind up in a hand with us both all in and he outkicks me with top pair by one card. I mean, at a certain point anyone would get lucky once in a while. I'm losing 90% of the games at this point. Guys with 60/0/0 stats. Seriously. They're bluff shoving the flop with air and catching runner runner. All day. All night. AA and KK dealt to them constantly. I looked - I haven't seen KK+ in over FIFTY HUSNGs. That's mathematically laughable. This is all on BetOnline and they're stealing my money. I did well on the roulette tables (far, far more profitable than $2 poker ...which is proof that the poker's rigged) and they're just ripping it back from me in the HUSNGs. You'll say "Why not just switch to another variant?" They'll steal it there, too and quicker in larger amounts. The $2 HUSNGS have literally the worst players on the internet and it's a miracle if I win one. I've been playing for 3+ years and this is all that has ever, ever gone on. Not one hot streak. Not one big tournament win. Not one good cash session. Not one nice HUSNG run. Not one instance of me getting lucky and winning a nice bit of money. Not one.

Obviously, the game's rigged and US players simply don't have a viable place to play online at this point.

Guys are barreling 3 streets onto a monotone board without having that suit. How could they know I don't have the flush? Every time I do have something - FLISH!!!! Insta fold. I mean, as soon as the cards are dealt - FLISH. He folds. QQ? Fold. AKs? Fold. 78o 3x raise? Shoves 6x into the middle. Limp with AA? Check, insta fold flop. Flushes, full houses, sets and 2 outters EVERY sit and go. Every single one. That just isn't how heads up poker plays and the site VEHEMENTLY insists that there's nothing wrong with their RNG, even though things that are mathematically astronomical have been happening to me non stop. Other players go through the same thing. The fact is that this isn't a game vs the house and it seems like about 3% of online players win money. Where's the rest of it going? Someone really needs to investigate these sites because they're operating offshore and stealing money from people left and right.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
So sometimes it happens that the garbage hands win !!! It can be one or two distributions and may last a day or two !!! But sooner or later everything will fall into place and only your game (tactics and skill plus experience) will determine your winning !!!!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I think there are days that you just can't do anything. You are going to be card dead for a long time then someone is going to crack your aces with garbage. I feel like that today. I'm tired and cranky. Time to stop playing poker and get some fresh air. Shake off the bad vibes.

vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it's luck, but odds. If you add up taking these hands over a large period of time, not days, you will see that consistency and skill predominate.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it's luck, but odds. If you add up taking these hands over a large period of time, not days, you will see that consistency and skill predominate.

People have been telling me that for literally millions of hands. It's never evened out, gotten better, improved, nothing. Again - Anyone would at least get LUCKY and have a nice run ONCE in that time. Nope. Anything I've ever won was then taken back x10 with just beat, after beat, after beat, after beat. Guys calling 6x raises preflop with T3o and the flop coming down TT3. Hands like that not sometimes (saw someone write sometimes) = ALL THE TIME. It's unusual when it DOESN'T happen to me .

As said, nobody really seems to have interest in a game where no matter how much you work at it, no matter how well you do, no matter how much you improve, people keep telling you "no dude, what you need to do is go get ripped off even more and THEN the winning begins". I mean, this is so obviously a freaking carnival game at this point that I just strongly, strongly urge Americans to stay away from the game today.

Once again: Where are all the winners? It's not a game vs the house. Why are the majority of us just pouring money away? That just doesn't add up at all.

TakingAShot

TakingAShot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database

NL Holdem $-30(BB)
SB ($1195)
HERO ($1805)

Dealt to Hero A<font color='red'>♥</font> T<font color='black'>♠</font>

SB Calls $15 (Rem. Stack: 1165), HERO Raises To $90 (Rem. Stack: 1685), SB Calls $90 (Rem. Stack: 1075)

Flop ($240) A<font color='red'>♦</font> 4<font color='red'>♦</font> 5<font color='black'>♣</font>
HERO Bets $240 (Rem. Stack: 1445), SB Calls $240 (Rem. Stack: 835)

Turn ($720) A<font color='red'>♦</font> 4<font color='red'>♦</font> 5<font color='black'>♣</font> 3<font color='black'>♣</font>
HERO Bets $345 (Rem. Stack: 1100), SB $835 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0), HERO Calls $490 (Rem. Stack: 610)

River ($2390) A<font color='red'>♦</font> 4<font color='red'>♦</font> 5<font color='black'>♣</font> 3<font color='black'>♣</font> K<font color='black'>♣</font>

SB shows 2<font color='red'>♥</font> J<font color='red'>♥</font>

SB wins $2390

All day and night. I'm never allowed to get a SNG over in under 250 hands or I lose. I have to have the nuts or I'm done.

They just call 3-6x pre with ATC, call the flop with a weak draw, and hit it over and over and over. It's ridiculous now.

Edit: Hit my post limit for the day. You guys are a lot more tolerant than some other forums and I don't want to take advantage of that so I'll take my rants elsewhere. It's just really, really tough online today and I saw a thread where I could vent. Sorry. I came back and won that last one but once again, look at the guy just FIRING away at the board with nothing. It's really tough to put some of these guys on a range when they're playing 80% of hands pre flop and then just firing away at random post flop.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database

NL Holdem $-40(BB)
BB ($1510)
HERO ($1490)

Dealt to Hero T<font color='red'>♦</font> Q<font color='red'>♦</font>

HERO Raises To $100 (Rem. Stack: 1370), BB Calls $80 (Rem. Stack: 1390)

Flop ($240) T<font color='red'>♥</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font> 7<font color='red'>♦</font>
BB Checks, HERO Bets $160 (Rem. Stack: 1210), BB Calls $160 (Rem. Stack: 1230)

Turn ($560) T<font color='red'>♥</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font> 7<font color='red'>♦</font> 7<font color='red'>♥</font>
BB Checks, HERO Bets $300 (Rem. Stack: 910), BB Calls $300 (Rem. Stack: 930)

River ($1160) T<font color='red'>♥</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font> 7<font color='red'>♦</font> 7<font color='red'>♥</font> K<font color='black'>♠</font>
BB $930 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0), HERO $910 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0)

BB shows A<font color='red'>♦</font> Q<font color='red'>♥</font>

HERO wins $2980
BB wins $20

Last edited:
vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People have been telling me that for literally millions of hands. It's never evened out, gotten better, improved, nothing. Again - Anyone would at least get LUCKY and have a nice run ONCE in that time. Nope. Anything I've ever won was then taken back x10 with just beat, after beat, after beat, after beat. Guys calling 6x raises preflop with T3o and the flop coming down TT3. Hands like that not sometimes (saw someone write sometimes) = ALL THE TIME. It's unusual when it DOESN'T happen to me .

As said, nobody really seems to have interest in a game where no matter how much you work at it, no matter how well you do, no matter how much you improve, people keep telling you "no dude, what you need to do is go get ripped off even more and THEN the winning begins". I mean, this is so obviously a freaking carnival game at this point that I just strongly, strongly urge Americans to stay away from the game today.

Once again: Where are all the winners? It's not a game vs the house. Why are the majority of us just pouring money away? That just doesn't add up at all.

I think your focus is that you are wrong, anon. For few winners there must be many losers, it is so in everything in life and even in poker. I think you should look more at the game itself and limit it properly, rather than looking at the big sharks. Maybe you should even consider a time in poker and look for other things you like.

Or it can be just like me and admit that poker is just a fun hobby, and that I'm here just to lose money to the sharks :p

R

Runeloko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the moment that you got to realize that Poker is mainly a game of luck mostly than skills.

It'll happen you very often & actually, here's where your skill will be shown in terms of "should fold or not?".

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,

I often find my self in having forexample on monday a lot of luck. Winning every hand in which I have 25% odds. And the next day I find my self having trouble winning hands in which I have at least 80% odds.

My question is, do you believe that there does something excist (not a god or something like that ofcourse) that makes you having those bad luck, goodluck streaks?

I often hear that people have something like a tallisman around, a cardprotector that they believe brings luck or something else. Do you believe in that kind of stuff, because I am starting to believe in those.

I think that luck depends on a lot, even if you play poorly, you still can lead

J

Jam_V92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do believe totally in bad and good luck, and when you know that you are bad, it is best to leave the table