Do You Believe in Streaks of Bad Luck?

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dad always said that "paranoid is just good thinking when everyones out to get you". LOL. Bad luck seems to follow you more than good luck at the poker tables because you vividly remember hands you lost to a bad beat and not so much when you did it to someone else. Here's my opinion: Play strong if you think you have the best hand in any situation. Most times you will be right.

TheMagic

TheMagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I´m not superstitious. I believe, that in some days, my psychological isn´t focused on the game, and in this situation, I start doing stupid moves one behind the other. Of course bad beats will happen, in some days , more frequently, in some not. You can blame the variance for these situations.

In these days, that cards are not being helpful, I preffer to stop play and study more the game, you´ll always find new leaks to fix.

jmjareno

jmjareno

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the next day, all the people who you won, was the people that you won the first day with 25% odds, bad luck, good luck, i don´t think so, i think more than the algorithm´s poker online site, You favor some days and other days favor someone else

D

Dmitrii Kopylov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I believe in it. This happens not rarely and at this point, better to take a little rest from the game. But I also believe in luck and streaks;-)

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
idk how I still feel about the "variance" issue since joining about 4 years back, BUT, I will at least say this... I took the time out to go through my thinking/posts/threads, then analyzing my play, reading (and then re-reading...) books/articles by pros and doing it THEIR way, NOT MY WAY (even when it didn't make sense to me at the time because there must be SOME reasons why THEY ARE pros and I AM NOT) and then adjusting my playing style accordingly...

My win rates/amount/bankroll have skyrocketed over the the years because of the aforementioned...

Instead of complaining, take a deep honest look at YOURSELF and ask "COULD IT BE ME?"... maybe it's the stakes/field of players/mood/etc... most people are playing. Maybe it's your "selective memories" kicking in (you know, like when YOU at some point cracked someone elses AA with a 72o... remember that?) or maybe it's people playing at play-money(thinking it plays like real money) or freerolls - with a MASSIVE field of players - (where people don't give a care anyway... it's free remember?) or at microstakes(where people can still afford to be/play like fools...) This IS called variance and I even have my days where I want to throw my computer in the garbage...

Don't be the little B* whining in the corner complaining & sucking on your thumb... look past your "bad beats", move on, **GET BETTER**, come back smash these donks that play against the odds/positions and be happy knowing that in the long run/over a range of hands you will eventually be a better player for it....

My post IS NOT directed at ANYONE in general... just sayin'....

Last edited:
M

mac1223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I replied to a couple post before, there is no such thing as a bad streak and no such thing as bad cards, but how you play the cards and how long you take to call. Set a cap for the day and DISCIPLINE to cut the lost. Never chase when there is another day to play tomorrow.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is just part of the game. For the pros, the breakdown might be 50/50 luck to skill. For occasional recreational players, luck probably plays a greater role....maybe 75%.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is just part of the game. For the pros, the breakdown might be 50/50 luck to skill. For occasional recreational players, luck probably plays a greater role....maybe 75%.

+1... Unsure of the percentages but I agree with your logic where Pros have an advantage due to their skill (from learning...)/knowledge/wisdom (from past experiences...) on the tables... :smile:

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens that everything is done correctly, but you're out of luck.With me it happened so many times and lasted for several days.
Thanks God that I microlimit player and don't lose a lot of money ,when this periods happens:D

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I used to think that there wasn't such a thing , but now I tend to believe there might be what you call bad luck 'streaks' . I mean , if you could name the accumulation of downswings and badbeats/ bad variance bad luck :). Bad luck bring you some people with the negative energy they have and communicate it to others (their behaviour etc ) .Bad luck is also to be active for 6 months in a forum and suddenly to get banned Dutchtegon and there are many other examples to say .

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. Because you can only make the right decision so many times and get punished. I am now a believer sadly

M

mac1223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can promise you it has nothing to do with luck but how you play your cards, turns and flops and river cards yes it is a 50/50 chance but if you play it correctly there is not a problem determining if you flopped a set of Aces I'm sure for more, with that example is a hard thing to do, but it comes down to do you want to risk it all because set Ace are deemed to be high cards, or fold to place another hand.

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes there is such a property as not luck...
Here only I for some reason very often no luck!
A month there one day when lucky... But how to catch him(((((((((

A

Aces74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on site or dealers.
I play very well ,made some mistakes and try to correct constantly.
Try to go with the majority on variance however when a player is dealt AA three times in an hour ekkk.

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play with the right tactics and a good strategy, you'll win in the long run. Must be able to pass the slopes without emotion.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Yes, sometimes I have too . But I try to focus on this time . It doesn't always work . Especially sad when you have a good chance to win . And in omens or talismans I try not to .

M

MEDIC62

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the end of the losing hand if you can say that you'd play it the same way if you saw villan's cards -- AND this happens repeatedly -- you're on a bad streak. I've been in this realm for 50 hours. That's roughly 1500 hands dealt to me. I probably voluntarily saw the flop 300 times. Seems like an eternity, but I think any competent player should expect this and worse. Oh, I sould mention the game is 1-2NL. I believe that helps explain the horrible streaks.

A

Aparajit

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally feel lucky on new moon days and feel unlucky on full moon days when playing poker. Like lucky when going all in pre flop cards will be in favour. Or not favorable etc.

R

robcubus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to retire in time when you see that your day is not going well. You could avoid big losses.

M

mrflip09

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup...all u have to do is play online poker and u gonna go a streak of sucks out galore! lol

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will experience bad runs from time to time, if you are running bad on a site, log off and try a different one, if it continues just take a break for the day. Good luck.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
All poker players, from the top pros down, experience ups and downs (variance).

Here’s a light hearted quote that is not really relevant, but I’m going to quote anyway.
"Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they’re wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck." - Jesse May

We are never going to master luck, but mastering as many aspects of poker as possible, should help improve our win rate over the longer term.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think its more variance than anything. But it does seems to run in streaks of getting it in ahead and losing, but that's in my head I'm sure.