Decisions based on intuition?

q3dm4pro

q3dm4pro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Please tell me, how often do you make decisions based on intuition? Should she pay special attention and listen when she speaks?

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not call it intuition. Some of the factors when you make a decision in poker game are purely mathematically based like the range of hands you put your opponent on, pot odds, outs and so on. Other are personality based like looking for certain behavior or signs which may give you more information. They both complement but i personally never make a decision based on pure feeling or intuition as you call it and don't think that making such decisions is a good idea.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a regular poker player, I make my decisions based on empirical knowledge of some tournaments, here intuition can make you lose a lot of chips :eek:;)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good to know your intuition is gender specific, isn't that special. If you are leaning one way due too hand history, amount of times someone limp in from any position or the amount hands they played, say that is good information to act on. If it because the id name, icon or some feeling you have, hope that is working for you.

To answer the question you asked, no, rather have the math, hand that will win or bluff on than rely on a warm and fuzzy.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually do this when I'm on a upswing session

q3dm4pro

q3dm4pro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
  • Probably everyone had many situations when you knew that you could not go to olin or call olin. But they did not believe themselves, did as reason says, and not as intuition says, and made sure that your intuition was correct. Modern scientific research suggests that a person knows the result a few seconds before this information reaches his mind. And if you type in YouTube - exercises for the development of intuition, there will be a lot of them there. This suggests that there really is such a phenomenon and it seems to me that it is greatly underestimated

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
look, I don't really advise you to play a hand based on intuition, there really are times that it works once or twice, and as you already said poker is a game of skills, so strategies must be well applied depending on what poker is, a game of knowledge and strategies

q3dm4pro

q3dm4pro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look, I don't really advise you to play a hand based on intuition, there really are times that it works once or twice, and as you already said poker is a game of skills, so strategies must be well applied depending on what poker is, a game of knowledge and strategies
When, according to your knowledge and strategy of the game, you need to make a decision to flip a coin or fold, at that moment what do you rely on, intuition or something else?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I rarely rely on intuition, but if I do, my decisions should be based on my skills and experience. Otherwise, relying on intuition in poker is the same as playing bingo.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online not very much, live I play basic poker but I listen to my gut on the reads I've picked up as we play,never failed me yet because I know my live game is 10 times better then online and that's all because of the information the average player shows live,online and live poker arn't even close to the same game

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand more and more the meaning of the hands I play in poker. Until he managed to know what cards my opponent has before he shows them to me. All the knowledge that is achieved through the years is paying off. I think there is a bit of intuition, but much more is the percentage of knowledge.

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess I’m going to be the only person who agrees with you and says I use Intuition and been told I am a psychic. I use math like the rest but there is times when i call preflop and hit three of a kinds which I had a feeling the hand was good preflop. Cant say I use it much more then that and there are times which I don’t listen and regret it.

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. Please tell me, how often do you make decisions based on intuition? Should she pay special attention and listen when she speaks?
Hello. I cannot say that sometimes I make decisions only on intuition. At the moment when I make such decisions intuitively, based on the experience of millions of hands played. Hands very similar to the current one instantly pop up in my memory, the results of such hands, and based on this I make decisions. Sometimes it is worth making decisions solely on intuition, but it is worth doing it when the overall outcome of the tournament or the profit from the session when playing cash games does not depend on the result of the hand played.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is better to trust not intuition, but the collected statistics on the player. So it will be more correct. )))

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

When I'm having fun, I play more by playing and relying on luck or intuition if you prefer.

But when I'm playing seriously, to win, my decisions are made by range, opponent and math analysis.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I call it 'checking with my gut'. If I'm really not sure what I want to do, I check my gut and decide what to do based on if it's a bad or good/ negative or positive type feeling. There's not math or science at all behind it but it really has helped me feel better about my decision and that's a good enough reason for me when I'm feeling stuck.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
yes but it is not a habit, there are rarer moments when you make an exceptional call or a very good fold based only on your intuition, but you should not fall into this trap that it can turn on you:)

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If your intuition tells you to fold, then fold, but then you'll see if it's worth trusting.

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker is quite different than most games. But being aware of how others play will help you in a big way here. Feelings can win or lose you money depending on how well you can get in others head. Some times your a genius...other times you are broke

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition is usually built off previous experience and situations - so if we look at it from this angle, the alarm bells should start ringing when a situation is different to a situation you've played before or a type of player you've seen playing before deviating from what they normally do (not always but more often than not). This can be in bet sizings, whether they are betting IP or OOP, the range they should have in theory, villains position, playstyle and a few other factors I'm not taking into consideration right now such as board texture.

Intuition is a huge part of poker (not as much online as live but still prominent enough)

Theres a book called "Thinking fast and slow" which I'm currently reading which goes into great detail about how our intuition works and our "logic systems" work. It will give you more insight than I could

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes I make decisions based on intuition when buying a lottery or playing roulette. But when it comes to playing poker, I rely only on my skills.

B

bethqueen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition is nothing more than a word we use based on our experiences.
As I'm new to poker, I don't use intuition much for my decision making precisely because I don't have a base with enough experimental load to try to get the feeling of the situation. More ahead sure having more experience I use with this one.

q3dm4pro

q3dm4pro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand more and more the meaning of the hands I play in poker. Until he managed to know what cards my opponent has before he shows them to me. All the knowledge that is achieved through the years is paying off. I think there is a bit of intuition, but much more is the percentage of knowledge.
It seems to me that over the years of the game, intuition and knowledge are mixed and you just know how to act and that it will work.

q3dm4pro

q3dm4pro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess I’m going to be the only person who agrees with you and says I use Intuition and been told I am a psychic. I use math like the rest but there is times when i call preflop and hit three of a kinds which I had a feeling the hand was good preflop. Cant say I use it much more then that and there are times which I don’t listen and regret it.
Here! This is exactly what I'm talking about. From a scientific point of view, the fact that a person knows the future 30 seconds ahead is confirmed, but this information comes to his brain late. So why, if the science backs it up, isn't it developed in the right way in Poker?