Decisions based on intuition?

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The concept of "intuition" is actually a combination of a number of things. In Malcolm Gladwell's book, Blink, he talks about how experts can get to the point where they just "know" something but—despite their knowledge—can't exactly explain why. Similarly, Nobel winner Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow talks about the difference between fast, instinctive thought and slower, deliberative thought. There are times when both are more powerful and times when either one can get us in trouble.

Both of those kind of map over into the concept of "intuition".

When you talk about the 4 stages of learning, you have:
  1. Unconscious Incompetence—you don't even know you suck
  2. Conscious Incompetence—you know about the skill but don't know how to do it
  3. Conscious Competence—you can do the skill but you have to focus on it
  4. Unconscious Competence—you can do the skill automatically
Stage 4 would be that "intuition" part.

So you can study things like basic strategy, GTO play, reading betting patterns, reading tells, etc., but if you are still constantly having to think about every move that someone (including yourself) makes, you are in stage 3. Some of those things will start to bleed into stage 4 with practice. However, it isn't an "all or nothing" thing. Sometimes, alarm bells will go off and you won't necessarily be able to ascertain or explain why. (e.g. "I just felt that he was bluffing.") That's something happening in stage 4.

Now whether or not it is the correct read... well... that's where the fun is, isn't it?

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello. Please tell me, how often do you make decisions based on intuition? Should she pay special attention and listen when she speaks?

In the real world, yes, and err on the side of caution. Not so sure on the table though.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
To one degree or another, all decisions are partly intuition. It's just that in some places it manifests itself to a greater extent, somewhere to a lesser extent.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to use the base on the player, not intuition)

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition can help you in several situations, but the most advisable thing is to first analyze the villains' movements to know which is the best movement to make.

vardyonfire

vardyonfire

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leon The Professional

I think my first 2 years of poker was based on intuition and luck. I would often make it to the final table of a tournament with terrible luck and I was of course very happy. But as the years went by I learned to minimize my luck and get to play real poker. even if I'm not a great poker player or professional yet, I think I still have a lot to learn. I hope to continue to be persistent and to have the necessary patience

Savantino

Savantino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i mix my intuition with knowledge of my opponent play

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Yes sometimes, but only if this can't cost me to much.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All methods are good for winning. You need to use mathematics, intuition and psychology. If an inner voice tells me that this hand needs to be played, even if it is not in the opening range from this position, I play it.

Whompus

Whompus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Online not very much, live I play basic poker but I listen to my gut on the reads I've picked up as we play,never failed me yet because I know my live game is 10 times better then online and that's all because of the information the average player shows live,online and live poker arn't even close to the same game
Amen to that...I have a backstage odds at a table method I go to some times on online play that's not in any book that i guess you could call an intuition play book for myself. This has won me some big pots and lost me some, but so will the math based ones. It's hard to get a feel for your opponents online. In sience, if it's in the numbers it's a fact. Play by the numbers and in the long run you'll be playing in the money.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello. Please tell me, how often do you make decisions based on intuition? Should she pay special attention and listen when she speaks?
I think it’s worth it because you understand by intuition that you will lose right now and without listening to her, you don’t fold your cards and lose, I think you need to listen to her

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not call it intuition. Some of the factors when you make a decision in poker game are purely mathematically based like the range of hands you put your opponent on, pot odds, outs and so on. Other are personality based like looking for certain behavior or signs which may give you more information. They both complement but i personally never make a decision based on pure feeling or intuition as you call it and don't think that making such decisions is a good idea.
Yes, smart words, well done. Only for freerolls they are of little use.:)

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I started playing poker most of my decisions were based on my intuition and my perception of the players.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I feel like I can win with one hand, even if it's not very good, but if I have a good feeling I have to watch the flop.

NDRWTRLGC

NDRWTRLGC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
intuition plays a role in every decision, at least for me. its never the only factor however

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once you have metagame information, go ahead!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you need to listen to intuition, it helps, but this is rare, so you need to rely on skill.:)

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Sometimes it happens that I feel this way - it means I will play like that, but you should not pay special attention to intuition.

N

n0n4m3

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition is a little-studied thing, but if you know how to use it and hear yourself, as well as understand it, it becomes a crushing weapon in the struggle for the first place.

N

n0n4m3

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

It should also be remembered that other players can also rely on intuition, so you should not forget about practical knowledge either. You have to use everything and experience too to achieve the goal you set for yourself .

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Intuiton has to be rational and logical according to how the hand was played and the historical of ur opponent, and how the table is behaving.

Intuiton based on simple emotion is really bad, like when u convince urself, cuz of curiosity, ego, anger, etc, then ur doomed.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think intuition can only be used after a long time of right decisions:cool:

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Intuition is the result of the analytical work of the brain. You can trust your intuition to some extent.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you can make decisions on intuition, but this is still an exception to the rule.