Ask Me Anything (Dusty Schmidt aka Leatherass in the well)

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have dustys book I am about halway thru it..it is pretty inquisitive and has some awsom insite into poker and how to make a living at it..

I'm glad you like it and thanks for posting.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just want to add a brief note about Dusty here. I met him last week in Vegas - he was kind enough to invite me to dinner with a handful of others from DTB. It was great to meet him and he is really a cool guy and they all had me laughing all through dinner. The guys at DTB are a good bunch of people and we are lucky to have Dusty and them here at CC.

Thanks for the dinner Dusty - and for turning me onto that cool drink. It's a shame they only make them there. You need to remind me what was in it so I can try to make them at home.

Here is that cocktail:

BOA 405. Vodka, fresh strawberry, fresh lemon sour, simple syrup, balsamic vinaigrette, cracked black pepper.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about the 10 Stars accounts that were recently closed for being bots (Short stackers playing from 25nl thru 200nl)? How big of an issue do you think botting is for the future of online poker? What's your feeling on the fact that PTR seemingly had to out the accounts before Stars acted to shut them down?

Link to the CC thread with relevant links to 2p2 and PTR if you're unfamiliar with the story (I doubt it but just in case): https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/pokerstars-nl-bots-identified-179918/

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Rush Poker

Dusty, any specific suggestions on how to best play Rush Poker on FullTilt?

Cash and the $4 Tournament?

Wally

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dusty, any specific suggestions on how to best play Rush Poker on FullTilt?

Cash and the $4 Tournament?

Wally
OK Dusty, some additional info before you say "not enough".

The following is my way so critique my way of playing the FullTilt Rush Cash game:

1. SLOW down and don't rush...think thru each hand.
2. FOLD all out of position marginal hands.
3. Play all strong hands with a raise or re-raise.
4. From the button, raise with even marginal hands if all folded to you.
5. If opponents are raising before you, FOLD all marginal hands, even if on the button.
6. If you think you are behind after the flop, FOLD...do not chase straights or flushes, generally.
7. Never call an "all-in" or a big raise without the absolute nuts (after the flop). Before flop, only call with AA or KK.
8. Don't let draws become expensive.
9. Do not underestimate opponents ability to bluff, but realize that most of the time they are not bluffing...have courage to fold.
10. Do not get "married" to any hand unless the absolute nuts.

Appreciate your feedback, Wally

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Here is that cocktail:

BOA 405. Vodka, fresh strawberry, fresh lemon sour, simple syrup, balsamic vinaigrette, cracked black pepper.

Perfect timing! I bought a blender today and plan on making some next weekend for guests.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have, as I'm sure you know, been subject to some criticism from some in the 'poker community' for what is percieved to be bumhunting or whatever. Do you ever think about/worry about that crtiticism and if so, what is your response?

It's funny how - when there's an ugly name attached to it - the community will back away from a concept that is taught and encouraged in every corner of the internet game.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's funny how - when there's an ugly name attached to it - the community will back away from a concept that is taught and encouraged in every corner of the internet game.

I'm with Dusty on this one. I don't care what you call it or how you want to perceive it, if it makes me money, that's what I'm doing. I don't play poker to make friends, I play it to make money.

B

bRiMaTiOn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your stats:

Cardplayer of the Year ranking?

poker site Tournament ranking?

Amount of wsop Bracelets or Final Tables?

WPT Final Tables or Titles?

Do you use pot odds in tournaments? How?

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about the 10 Stars accounts that were recently closed for being bots (Short stackers playing from 25nl thru 200nl)? How big of an issue do you think botting is for the future of online poker? What's your feeling on the fact that PTR seemingly had to out the accounts before Stars acted to shut them down?

Link to the CC thread with relevant links to 2p2 and PTR if you're unfamiliar with the story (I doubt it but just in case): https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/pokerstars-nl-bots-identified-179918/

I think botting will always be something that the poker rooms have to battle. I'd imagine it is not an easy task to try and stay on top of all of the millions of poker accounts out there, but I'm sure Stars is working hard to do the best they can do.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your stats:

Cardplayer of the Year ranking?

Poker Site Tournament ranking?

Amount of WSOP Bracelets or Final Tables?

WPT Final Tables or Titles?

Do you use pot odds in tournaments? How?

I am primarily a cash game player so I am not ranked high on any of the lists. I had a $19k cash at the WSOP, but that is about all I can hang my hat on.

pot odds are something every poker is constantly concerned with, although most of these concerns are on a more intuitive level.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL I was reading the above post and thinking, "wtf I said that?" LOL. I can see now you "fixed" my post haha.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think botting will always be something that the poker rooms have to battle. I'd imagine it is not an easy task to try and stay on top of all of the millions of poker accounts out there, but I'm sure Stars is working hard to do the best they can do.

Wouldn't it be more efficient, more realistic and more fun to just ban the game type that make it easy for the cheaters? I'm speaking specifically about two things

1. Shortstacking NL games. It's reasonably easy to design a bot that wins playing 20bb poker at 100bb+ tables, so there will always be bots at tables where you allow shortstacking
  2. Double or Nothing SNGs. Because of the vast difference between cEV and $EV, collusion through either chip dumping or soft playing is very +$EV and therefore there's a huge incentive to create collusion rings as the Chinese colluders scandal recently demonstrated.

pokerstars is being severely affected by these issues and while it's probably doing its best to catch the cheaters, it's proving quite inefficient at it since those cheaters were allowed to play for a long time before discovery and were often discovered by PTR or other players and not by PS security.

You will notice that both games types do not exist (anymore or ever) at full tilt poker, their main competitor. Isn't FTP's approach a lot better here?

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Cash Game Play

Dusty, I play mostly MTT and SnGs but I want to play Cash Games better. Here is the basic way I play cash games...any specific comments or suggestions welcomed on the way I go about it. thx, Wally

1. I try and SLOW down and think thru each hand better.

2. I automatically FOLD all out of position marginal hands.

3. Play all strong hands with a raise or re-raise and I play suited connectors the same way.

4. From the button, I raise with even marginal hands if all hands are folded to me.

5. If opponents are raising before me, I FOLD all marginal hands, even if on the button.

6. If I think I am behind after the flop, I FOLD...and, I do not chase straights or flushes, generally.

7. Never call an "all-in" or a big raise without the absolute nuts (after the flop). Before flop, I only call with AA or KK or QQ.

9. Do not underestimate opponents ability to bluff, but realize that most of the time they are not bluffing...have courage to fold.

10. Do not get "married" to any specific hand unless I have the absolute nuts.

Dusty, I appreciate your feedback, Wally

I

ISuckYouOutNow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always losing races!

Dusty, how is it possible when every time i go into a hand (usually PLO HU 2.4 or 5.10) dominating the other player that I lose 4 out of 5 of them, when my odds to win at 80% +??

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dusty, how is it possible when every time i go into a hand (usually PLO HU 2.4 or 5.10) dominating the other player that I lose 4 out of 5 of them, when my odds to win at 80% +??

If you flip a coin the chances are that it will be heads 50% of the time and tails the other 50% of the time. But you could still technically flip a coin 100 times and it can land on tails 100 times. 80% favorite is just a percentage, a chance to win. When you look at your %'s as a whole, the math involved behind it falls under (read very carefully) "Probability and Statistics". Nothing is guaranteed.

If you have :ad4: :ks4: on the button the flop comes :qd4: :10h4: :js4: .
Your opponent in the BB raises, you re-raise, he shoves, of course you're going to call. When you see that you are up against :qh4: :jh4: (two pair), you are still a favorite to win,

At first you need to dodge 2 remaining queens and 2 remaining jacks

If the turn comes as the :6h4:, you need to dodge 9 cards that will complete your opponents flush + the 2 Queen's and 2 Jack's.

On the turn, all your equity from going all in on the flop has gone from a 60/40 to a small small marginal gain (i believe) nearly a coin flip for the river, your hand cannot improve at this point but your opponent's hand can.

At the end of the turn I think you are around a 53/47 favorite, which isn't a huge edge.

All you can do is say "I got it in with the best, variance will sort itself out later."

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
On the turn, all your equity from going all in on the flop has gone from a 60/40 to a small small marginal gain (i believe) nearly a coin flip for the river, your hand cannot improve at this point but your opponent's hand can.

At the end of the turn I think you are around a 53/47 favorite, which isn't a huge edge.

All you can do is say "I got it in with the best, variance will sort itself out later."

Actually, you're a 70/30 fav. here on the turn SeanP (on the flop you're nearly ahead ~80/20). Point taken though.. hopefully.... maybe...

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm... I thought that would be a coin flip situation there. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know there was still that much of an edge (70/30) with opponent's flush draw and full house draw.

Anyway that hand is a hand that took a buy-in off of me at Caesar's when I was in Vegas. I guess I'm trying to justify losing to a back door flush lol.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm... I thought that would be a coin flip situation there. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know there was still that much of an edge (70/30) with opponent's flush draw and full house draw.
By the 2x approximation rule, 9 flush outs + plus 4 boat outs = 13 outs total. 2 x 13 = ~26% (it's usually a tad higher) so 70/30 on the turn is about right on.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn't it be more efficient, more realistic and more fun to just ban the game type that make it easy for the cheaters? I'm speaking specifically about two things
  1. Shortstacking NL games. It's reasonably easy to design a bot that wins playing 20bb poker at 100bb+ tables, so there will always be bots at tables where you allow shortstacking
  2. Double or Nothing SNGs. Because of the vast difference between cEV and $EV, collusion through either chip dumping or soft playing is very +$EV and therefore there's a huge incentive to create collusion rings as the Chinese colluders scandal recently demonstrated.
Pokerstars is being severely affected by these issues and while it's probably doing its best to catch the cheaters, it's proving quite inefficient at it since those cheaters were allowed to play for a long time before discovery and were often discovered by PTR or other players and not by PS security.

You will notice that both games types do not exist (anymore or ever) at Full Tilt Poker, their main competitor. Isn't FTP's approach a lot better here?

I just did a survey at Poker Stars asking me all about this stuff. Stars seems to really be on top of this issue and I'd imagine it is a top priority for them to make sure bots are not a part of their poker room. I think you will see some major changes/announcements over the next 12 months in regards to your concerns here.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty, I play mostly MTT and SnGs but I want to play Cash Games better. Here is the basic way I play cash games...any specific comments or suggestions welcomed on the way I go about it. thx, Wally

1. I try and SLOW down and think thru each hand better.

2. I automatically FOLD all out of position marginal hands.

3. Play all strong hands with a raise or re-raise and I play suited connectors the same way.

4. From the button, I raise with even marginal hands if all hands are folded to me.

5. If opponents are raising before me, I FOLD all marginal hands, even if on the button.

6. If I think I am behind after the flop, I FOLD...and, I do not chase straights or flushes, generally.

7. Never call an "all-in" or a big raise without the absolute nuts (after the flop). Before flop, I only call with AA or KK or QQ.

10. Do not get "married" to any specific hand unless I have the absolute nuts.

Dusty, I appreciate your feedback, Wally

Wally,

These are some good guidelines, but these rules will not apply at stakes higher than about .10/.25 cent online. Since games continue to become more and more aggressive, you can't play passively and fold to aggression too often and expect to make any money. I suppose you could only be a small loser with this style of play since you certainly won't find yourself getting the money in behind too often, but at the same time your opponents will win so many small to medium sized pots off of you that there will just be no way to show a profit.

If you want some legitimate poker instruction, I would recommend checking out the hundreds of poker videos available at [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]http://www.dragthebar.com/?aid=5

99% or more of all poker professionals have used or currently use a poker training website to improve their game. If you don't use it, you essentially don't stand much of a chance in this game long run in my opinion. I used one as I became a pro and it by far had the biggest impact on my career of anything else I did.
[/FONT]