Ask Me Anything (Dusty Schmidt aka Leatherass in the well)

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sweet! Email me and we can hook up.

Can you make sure that Dakota is still doing her job when you two hook up? If not, CC might run a muck if you don't. The easiest way to do it is to tell her that you were on CC earlier and JD was mentioning something about sheep and if someone could turn the lights off.:eek::eek::eek::D

TexasPokerStar

TexasPokerStar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Love to read your new book...

Hey,

1) Is your book going to be available at major book stores (borders, barnes & Nobles) or just through your site?

2) Can I see an outline of the book, so I could know the topics you talk about in the book?

3) Using your techniques do you think its possible to go from $10 to $100,000?

I read about your book on a poker Magazine I think it was bluff... great stuff.

Best Regards,

Abe
(abeand2)

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you make sure that Dakota is still doing her job when you two hook up? If not, CC might run a muck if you don't. The easiest way to do it is to tell her that you were on CC earlier and JD was mentioning something about sheep and if someone could turn the lights off.:eek::eek::eek::D

I will get right on that :)

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

1) Is your book going to be available at major book stores (borders, barnes & Nobles) or just through your site?

2) Can I see an outline of the book, so I could know the topics you talk about in the book?

3) Using your techniques do you think its possible to go from $10 to $100,000?

I read about your book on a poker Magazine I think it was BLUFF... great stuff.

Best Regards,

Abe
(abeand2)

1. I actually have turned down purchase orders from major book stores. Selling your book in actual book stores is against the authors best interests. Believe it or not, but if my business plan was to sell my books through book stores it would either be unprofitable or it would show such a tiny profit that I would not even bother writing poker books.

My book is on Amazon.com though, so you can buy it from there as well as my website, http://www.dustyschmidt.net

2. Go to the above mentioned website and you can find excerpts and an outline etc.

3. Yes I do. You would have to start out at 1/2 cent and just grind your way up using my 100 buy in rule for each stake. Good luck and thanks for everything.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I will get right on that :)

Does this sound dirty to anyone else??? :)

Dusty, I have now read your book 5 times (I suck at getting everything from content the 1st time) and I'd like to say that I really love the non-strategy part of the book. Very motivational and I think it lays out a very specific and achievable plan for those willing to work hard.

The strategy section on the other hand seems like an add-on. Not that it's not good or anything but it seems inconsistent. For instance in the section on small pairs you recommend opening with all pairs but in the section on early position you say toss 22-66 from EP unless there is a couple of really bad players at the table (preferably in the blinds).

There are a few other little things in that section which I have somehow just forgotten (looks like I'll give it a 6th read lol) that seem to contradict earlier advice and those small things, I feel, take away from that part of the book.

Tell the truth (and I have no reason to believe you wouldn't), was the strategy part of the book an afterthought? Something that you felt compelled to add just to appease to poker book buying public? Personally if it wasn't there I would have been just as happy with the book.

Edit: I'd also like to hear something more from your wife now that you have a daughter. Her section feels like it was written before she was born so I was just wondering if any of her thoughts on being with a poker player had changed in the last 7 months or so.

RyoIshikawa

RyoIshikawa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
are you accept golf competition still?

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides your own, what are the top 5 poker books you would recommend for a player who has a few years of experience and read strategy posts here and there but never read a full book on poker? Doesnt matter if they're about cash games or tournaments, just the best quality information.

S

sportserh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat sir!

How long did it take you to write the book?

How many pages is it?

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dusty, in one of your answers you said "The poker market is like a billion people and the number who buy books and watch videos is under 100,000."

I have no doubt whatsoever that you know what you're talking about. My question is, where can we find such data and other demographic information about poker?

I'm so curious that I even wrote to pokerstars about a year ago and they told me they didn't give out that sort of information. I created a thread here and a poster found one good but incomplete reference--population wasn't included. The PPA data is decent, but dated 2005. Googling has gotten me nowhere except for some vague, unsubstantiated information.

Thanks in advance for your help in my quest!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Congrats on 23rd in Event #26 at wsop. (that was you wasn't it?).

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty,
#1 Do you play 9max and 6max the same or diff ??

#2 How many buy-ins will you lose before you stop playing for that day??

workinonit

workinonit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kinda grunching LA so dunno if you've been asked this before, if you have then I apologise

You have, as I'm sure you know, been subject to some criticism from some in the 'poker community' for what is percieved to be bumhunting or whatever. Do you ever think about/worry about that crtiticism and if so, what is your response?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kinda grunching LA so dunno if you've been asked this before, if you have then I apologise

You have, as I'm sure you know, been subject to some criticism from some in the 'poker community' for what is percieved to be bumhunting or whatever. Do you ever think about/worry about that crtiticism and if so, what is your response?
It's been asked and discussed in this thread. I think most of us agree that it's a stupid and senseless accusation -- if you're not "bumhunting" then you're not a serious poker player or you don't like money. Not to mention the hypocrisy of his chief accuser hiring his own "bumhunter" to work at his coaching site, then trying to downplay bumhunting when called out on it.

workinonit

workinonit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been asked and discussed in this thread. I think most of us agree that it's a stupid and senseless accusation -- if you're not "bumhunting" then you're not a serious poker player or you don't like money. Not to mention the hypocrisy of his chief accuser hiring his own "bumhunter" to work at his coaching site, then trying to downplay bumhunting when called out on it.

Coolio.

Sorry for the repeat question

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does this sound dirty to anyone else??? :)

Dusty, I have now read your book 5 times (I suck at getting everything from content the 1st time) and I'd like to say that I really love the non-strategy part of the book. Very motivational and I think it lays out a very specific and achievable plan for those willing to work hard.

The strategy section on the other hand seems like an add-on. Not that it's not good or anything but it seems inconsistent. For instance in the section on small pairs you recommend opening with all pairs but in the section on early position you say toss 22-66 from EP unless there is a couple of really bad players at the table (preferably in the blinds).

There are a few other little things in that section which I have somehow just forgotten (looks like I'll give it a 6th read lol) that seem to contradict earlier advice and those small things, I feel, take away from that part of the book.

Tell the truth (and I have no reason to believe you wouldn't), was the strategy part of the book an afterthought? Something that you felt compelled to add just to appease to poker book buying public? Personally if it wasn't there I would have been just as happy with the book.

Edit: I'd also like to hear something more from your wife now that you have a daughter. Her section feels like it was written before she was born so I was just wondering if any of her thoughts on being with a poker player had changed in the last 7 months or so.

I will ask my wife to write another chapter for the sequel which will come out this Christmas. I do agree things have changed and it is likely she can have a broader perspective now.

As far as the strategy piece goes, I felt like I wanted to give some strategy in the book, all of which have been huge winning plays for me over the years. Sure, I felt some pressure to give some strategy in the book, but it definitely wasn't an add on. If anything, my book is sort of 2 short books put together. It may jack the flow of everything a little bit, but hopefully it helped some people's game too.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are you accept golf competition still?

I may do it put out the challenge again someday, but right now I just haven't been playing enough to really put out something like that.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Besides your own, what are the top 5 poker books you would recommend for a player who has a few years of experience and read strategy posts here and there but never read a full book on poker? Doesnt matter if they're about cash games or tournaments, just the best quality information.

I would say anything by Ed Miller should be a worthwhile read. For tournaments, Dan Harrington is hard to beat.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat sir!

How long did it take you to write the book?

How many pages is it?

Thanks!

It took me about a month of 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours at night. It would seem like it would take longer, but I had a co author and poker is 2nd nature to me so it came to me quite easily.

It is about 200 pages. It is a relatively quick and painless read. I made it that way intentionally because I hate textbooks and wanted it to be fun to read.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on 23rd in Event #26 at WSOP. (that was you wasn't it?).

That was me. Thanks so much. A bracelet would have been nice, but taking home about $19k wasn't too shabby either.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty,
#1 Do you play 9max and 6max the same or diff ??

#2 How many buy-ins will you lose before you stop playing for that day??

1. I play both. if the game is good and the stakes are high enough I play it.

2. That is irrelevant to me. If the games are good I keep on a truckin

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, yes it does lol...definite "that's what she said" line.

I plan on getting the book by July for my next read.

Great news in case you missed it! My book is now available in the poker stars store for just 1,900 points. So no need to pay for the book anymore if you have a Poker Stars account and have a few points lying around.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't worry about that at all. I don't think I exhibit behavior at the tables any differently than anyone else. I try to start games from time to time, I chat with people here and there, and the notion of bumhunting is absurd anyway. The claims people have made about me are either untrue or a complete exaggeration and I really don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about that stuff. Some people live in 2+2 land and I think it is pretty sad. That forum is not something I take part in and the whole reason why I am here at cardschat is because the people here are great and they have enough common sense not to waste their days making up a bunch of stuff about other people.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

1. I play both. if the game is good and the stakes are high enough I play it.

2. That is irrelevant to me. If the games are good I keep on a truckin
No, I was wondering do you play 9 player ring games different then the way you play 6 player ring games or do you play your hands the sam???

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Congo-Rats on your WSOP cash in Event #26 (23rd out of 1,245).. are playing in any more events at this years WSOP? Are you playing in the Main Event?