Study Group: Polished Poker Vol. II Workbook

Fknife

Fknife

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:congrats:

Yea, I would have probably burned with shame and closed that MoP Study Group if I got this wrong again :) Actually, I'd like to buy that Workbook of yours John. Is there any way I could just PS transfer the money to someone who could pay you...?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold equity
How can we ever really judge what percentage of the time someone is going to fold to a shove?
Which HUD stats can help us judge this?
Presumably related to how often they go to showdown. nervous lol.

Question 3, pg. 34: You're involved in a hand where you believe your opponent has 65% equity. There's currently $60 in the pot, and you have $90 remaining. If you shoved, how often would your opponent need to fold in order for it to be a break-even play?

Not being particularly math orientated, I can't even begin to work this out now, let alone at the table. :eek:.
My math never got this far.I have peeked at the answer and its still gobbledegook tbh
Is there a technique for quick approximation?

The only stats you can really use HUD wise are WTSD and fold flop and/or turn, or fold to 3-bet. The problem is you of course need a ton of hands for these to really normalize properly. At your stakes, or a site like bovada that's near impossible. SOooo, you can get an idea of how stubborn someone is. Generally, I use fold to 3-bet like suggested in the hitman hud in conjunction with any of those other stats to try and give myself a picture of how stubborn I think my opponent is. And by stubborn, I either mean they just don't like to fold and they are bad - here we'll have very little fold equity. Or stubborn, they are in a good ratio and making good decisions in narrow spots. Either of those aren't good if you need FE to make your play profitable. I also try and watch (when I can) how quickly someone is calling re-raises. If I see a lot of quick calls, this person is generally on the stubborn side.

You can't know what this exact number is in real time. You just have to approximate, hey I have probably 1 or maybe 2 over cards that are good and a flush draw. I can probably get them to fold this percentage of their range, so a shove = +EV. You need to look at all of the parts of how the hand is played to determine hand strength and your opponents fold%. Did you check raise bluff on the flop and got called? Your FE on the turn is likely going to go down then. Is it a 3-bet pot and you c-bet flop and got called? Your FE is likely going to go down. Simple, common sense things, but you need to make sure you're adding them all into your approximations in real time.

It's not an exact science because you don't know your opponents hand. You can approximate their range (which they can go completely outside of a range you'd consider sometimes), and then determine how much equity you think you have versus that range.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, I would have probably burned with shame and closed that MoP Study Group if I got this wrong again :) Actually, I'd like to buy that Workbook of yours John. Is there any way I could just PS transfer the money to someone who could pay you...?

I'm in the U.S., so no PS for me anymore. :) I'm trying to get skrill again as a payment option. Right now it's just paypal, major credit card.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yup... and we're still just starting. So you're welcome to jump in.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So... jumping into Chapter 2.

This is an important part of your game to isolate and be honest about. It's going to give you a snapshot of what you'll want to focus on first. Anytime you're learning something you want to take it on in steps. We're trying to build upon ideas and make sure we have the solid foundation that will allow the more advanced parts of the game to develop more organically. Instead of watching a video of someone doing X or Z play, and trying to mimic it, we want to have that solid foundation that will allow us to understand why a play is taking place.

So some homework for you guys. Do the exercises on pgs 17-18. I'd say this is one of the most important parts of your game you can work on really. Once you really understand equity and hand ranges in a multitude of common situations, your decision making and understanding of poker will get much easier. I know a lot of you already have a pretty good grasp on this, but try and make a commitment to really mastering this part, and a lot of other things will really fall into place.

F

fishinthesea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self assessment

Hey everyone, I've been mia for a while (fine-tuning and working on my game :))

I'll start out by assessing myself in these areas.

Hand Reading: 7-8. I want to say my hand reading has gotten considerably better. I put people on a range of cards now, whereas before I didn't even think about what people were calling with. For example; Most the times when someone limp calls, you can narrow their range down to low suited cards/connectors and draw heavy hands. So when a board comes Q 6 2 rainbow, you can safely c-bet and take the pot down.

Post Flop Bluffing: 8, I try to bluff (or c-bet) mostly in position and not on too wet boards. I take initiative by 3-betting so my hand seems stronger than it is perceived. Sometimes I get caught OOP and I believe that it's a pretty costly leak for me.

Anticipating Opponent Reactions: 8, I can tell when someone is tilting, angry, or stubborn. I've been keeping in mind what John said, and most the times when people call very quick they are going to be stubborn people.

Light Value Betting: 6. I'm going to be pretty honest about this. I'm not too great at light value betting, nor do I really have a clear understanding of how to light value bet. Is light value betting betting with 2nd best or worse? Someone please clarify for me :eek:

Tilt Control: 6, Tough one to conquer. I was reading "How I made my first million" the other day, and in it the author was saying a lot of his students say they tilt, but they don't actively take steps to improve it. Improving doesn't mean quitting your session once things go bad. It means noticing when you are tilting and stopping it with whatever method. Hard one.

Calling Down Light: 6, Another tough one. I barely call down light versus regs. Loose aggro and fish are the one's I call down light and most the times I end up folding to a large river bet. I'd say this part is a costly leak for me.

Bet Sizing: 9, I think bet sizing is one of the strengths in my game. Pretty self-explanatory.

Proper Aggression: 8-9, I must say that I was probably a 5-6 rating before reading John's book and maybe even sometimes 11-12 rating(haha if that's possible; over-aggression). Proper aggression is KEY. It creates pressure on the table.

Capitalizing on Opponent Weaknesses: 7-8, In 25nl, there are just so many fishes and loose aggressive players. I've been improving and finding spots where I can exploit players who are doing one thing too much.

Inducing Bluffs: 8-9, YES!! I love inducing bluffs. Sometimes this may get me into trouble, but most the times it just prints money.

Math of poker: 6-7, No shame, I just know the basic stuff. Outs, pot odds, etc.. basic poker stuff.

Starting and Quitting Sessions: 6-7, This is very hard, but once I swing 3 buy ins, I'm done. I shut off my computer and find something else to do and come back the next day. However if I was ahead every time I got it in, I would keep playing and this plays in a lot with how to control tilt. If I got my hand in good every time, why should I quit my session if I'm playing well?

Hope you guys enjoyed my assessment..:)

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone, I've been mia for a while (fine-tuning and working on my game :))
Hope you guys enjoyed my assessment..:)

Yes I did, thank you, good to see you feeling so confident in your game....I am enthused to post my own less confident assessment..soon:)

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My honest assessment

Self assessment
Aspects of Poker Score 1–10

Hand Reading (R) 7
I still feel like a quarter of the time I'm just guessing especially against looser players with wider ranges. Duggs picked me up on not being dynamic enough and narrowing ranges as we play through the streets, probably fair comment. I'm improving through constant hand analysis in the forums and replaying hands from my database.

Post-flop bluffing (R/A) 5
I'm fine with c-betting and double barreling, I do occasionally triple but not often as a pure bluff more often than not that they are thin value. I've been studying Duggs' thread carefully and playing a bit of deep stacked myself. It is clear that to be able to make large bluffs on the end you have to be able to hand read confidently. I'm still dreaming of bluff raising turns and bluff shoving rivers for fun.

Anticipating Opponent Reactions (P) 7
I'm pretty astute as to the player types and what they are capable of, I make notes on cash game regs. Still not a master by any means.

Light Value Betting (R/A) 8
I was weak here but getting better, my first poker books were by Harrington who always advocated checking medium strength hands on the river (as nothing worse calls and you risk getting raised off the hand all together). However I would say that advice isn't true for the modern micros, just think hard before checking the river, what worse can call? if your opponent is a CS he will call with 4th pair so you can bet 2nd pair for value!
My turn cbet% is 41.6% ...River agg 30.8%
And JohnA.... Harrington did win the main event in 95 and final tabled in both 2003 and 2004 and was highly feared by his peers at that time. One of the all time greats as far as i'm concerned

Tilt Control (P) 8
I am attempting a vulcan like grip on my emotions after reading Tendler. I'm so much better at handling bad beats than I used to be not that it was ever a really big problem for me. Much of this is understanding variance properly and injecting correct logic when you feel hard done by. If anything I've recently noticed a little winners tilt and been tightening up when I get a few buy in's up at 25nl as i don't want to lose what i've won.

Calling Down Light (R) 7
Happy to when my opponents are very aggressive.

Bet Sizing (R) 5
A work in progress, this is an art form especially in tournament play. It is important not to just autopress pot/halfpot buttons. If someone is going to call make it as big as you think they will!! The terrific review of my deep run in wcoop22 by pokerschool online teacher Dave Roemer picked up my half pot tendency.

Proper Aggression (A) 5,
I'm passive and analytical in nature and it shows in my play and I'm aware and don't mind admitting it. I am attempting to up my 3betting and squeezing significantly.

Capitalizing on Opponent Weaknesses (A) 8
Understanding the player types and making full use of my HUD are part of my strengths. Stack those fish baby.

Inducing Bluffs (R) 5
Getting better but light value betting can sometimes get in the way of this, appears to be a fine balance.

Math of Poker (R) 6
I have enough to get by at the table 4+2 and pot odds, its how that relates to equity and EV that I can struggle abit.

Starting and Quitting Sessions (P) 6
Often slow to start and quick to finish. I'm not blaming myself too much here, I work full time, often very long hours (I currently haven't had a day off since last Monday and worked 30 hours at the weekend and didn't get to play at all:mad: ) I don't like forcing myself to play tired, which is why I'm doing this tonight rather than playing.

Last edited:
F

fishinthesea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self assessment
Aspects of Poker Score 1–10

Hand Reading (R) 7
I still feel like a quarter of the time I'm just guessing especially against looser players with wider ranges. Duggs picked me up on not being dynamic enough and narrowing ranges as we play through the streets, probably fair comment. I'm improving through constant hand analysis in the forums and replaying hands from my database.

Post-flop Bluffing (R/A) 5
I'm fine with c-betting and double barreling, I do occasionally triple but not often as a pure bluff more often than not that they are thin value. I've been studying Duggs' thread carefully and playing a bit of deep stacked myself. It is clear that to be able to make large bluffs on the end you have to be able to hand read confidently. I'm still dreaming of bluff raising turns and bluff shoving rivers for fun.

Anticipating Opponent Reactions (P) 7
I'm pretty astute as to the player types and what they are capable of, I make notes on cash game regs. Still not a master by any means.

Light Value Betting (R/A) 8
I was weak here but getting better, my first poker books were by Harrington who always advocated checking medium strength hands on the river (as nothing worse calls and you risk getting raised off the hand all together). However I would say that advice isn't true for the modern micros, just think hard before checking the river, what worse can call? if your opponent is a CS he will call with 4th pair so you can bet 2nd pair for value!
My turn cbet% is 41.6% ...River agg 30.8%
And JohnA.... Harrington did win the main event in 95 and final tabled in both 2003 and 2004 and was highly feared by his peers at that time. One of the all time greats as far as i'm concerned

Tilt Control (P) 8
I am attempting a vulcan like grip on my emotions after reading Tendler. I'm so much better at handling bad beats than I used to be not that it was ever a really big problem for me. Much of this is understanding variance properly and injecting correct logic when you feel hard done by. If anything I've recently noticed a little winners tilt and been tightening up when I get a few buy in's up at 25nl as i don't want to lose what i've won.

Calling Down Light (R) 7
Happy to when my opponents are very aggressive.

Bet Sizing (R) 5
A work in progress, this is an art form especially in tournament play. It is important not to just autopress pot/halfpot buttons. If someone is going to call make it as big as you think they will!! The terrific review of my deep run in wcoop22 by pokerschool online teacher Dave Roemer picked up my half pot tendency.

Proper Aggression (A) 5,
I'm passive and analytical in nature and it shows in my play and I'm aware and don't mind admitting it. I am attempting to up my 3betting and squeezing significantly.

Capitalizing on Opponent Weaknesses (A) 8
Understanding the player types and making full use of my HUD are part of my strengths. Stack those fish baby.

Inducing Bluffs (R) 5
Getting better but light value betting can sometimes get in the way of this, appears to be a fine balance.

Math of Poker (R) 6
I have enough to get by at the table 4+2 and pot odds, its how that relates to equity and EV that I can struggle abit.

Starting and Quitting Sessions (P) 6
Often slow to start and quick to finish. I'm not blaming myself too much here, I work full time, often very long hours (I currently haven't had a day off since last Monday and worked 30 hours at the weekend and didn't get to play at all:mad: ) I don't like forcing myself to play tired, which is why I'm doing this tonight rather than playing.

Figaroo, you have a lot of potential. I've followed the Polished Poker I study group very closely ;) and have seen your progress. Keep posting!!

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand Reading: 5 I am getting good at post analysis of hands using pokerstove, but i am still struggling during game play to put people on ranges on the spot with accuracy (just how often does this guy have a busted flush draw here?). I need to actually start thinking through the hands they can have and carefully dissecting their range to pick off some bluffs when their line makes no sense and fold when it's obvious their range has me crushed.

Post Flop Bluffing: 7 I am now selectively choosing spots to apply some pressure to some opponents (mostly regs) with double barrel bluffs/semibluffs. I sometimes lack the confidence to fire the third barrel though. Another thing i am experimenting with is raising turns with flush or straight draws, especially in spots where i perceive my opponent to be double barrelling a ton, e.g. in blind vs blind spots. Whilst a sophisticated play, so far it has been quite profitable for me.

Anticipating Opponent Reactions: 6 switching to zoom makes it harder to tell whether someone is tilting etc, however my HUD assists me well in recognising how my opponent is likely to play vs my moves. however i am having some difficulties vs unknown players in zoom, as very often you are just playing the guessing game vs them.

Light Value Betting: 5. I usually have a reasonable grasp of where I am at in a hand with a second pair for example, but i sometimes miss a bit of value. I think too often i showdown the best hand after betting the river, sometimes i should look for more marginal spots and go for thin value, even if i might lose a decent amount of the time.

Tilt Control: 3. i'm sorry but i've been having a lot of issues with tilt but have yet to overcome it. i need to stop checking the cashier every 5 mins, stop getting mad after a fish sucks out on me, and quit if i'm not playing my A game. reading the mental game of poker helped me a little and i'm reading jared tendler's second version now.

Calling Down Light: 3. I cannot remember a time where i had the courage to call three barrels without at least top pair. i think too often i value low variance over EV, and that has to stop. i need to get really confident at reading ranges to get good in this area.

Bet Sizing: 7. i try and balance my sizing with weak and strong hands vs regs, keep things consistent. vs fish i am more unbalanced, and go on the bigger side with my strong hands (3/4 to full pot). however i am a little uncreative at tames, perhaps i should experiment with overbetting and betting small to induce.

Proper Aggression: 8. i am increasing my turn continuing range by cbetting the flop less (from 80% to around 60) and this seems to be helping a lot. my preflop aggression could be just a tad higher though.

Capitalizing on Opponent Weaknesses: 7. I am good at using my HUD to analyse weaknesses, however I struggle to develop a default strategy vs unknown players, esp in 3bet pots. e.g. 88 you raise button, get 3bet by unknown and you flat. then what if the board comes T72. He bets, lets say you call. Turn comes a 5 and he bets again. Without knowing his tendencies it's very hard to know what the right play is. Folding, calling or raising can all be options on that flop depending on the opponent you are playing. At the moment i am playing very fit/fold vs unknowns and folding to 3bets a bunch to avoid postflop errors, however I don't see how that can be optimal.

Inducing Bluffs: 6. I am starting to check vs very aggro opponents with strong hands, but only a little. i tend to take the bet bet bet line a little too often i think, especially on the river when draws miss etc.

Math of poker: 9. I have a pretty good grasp in this area.

Starting and Quitting Sessions: 4. As mentioned, i sometimes struggle with quitting right away when i stop playing well. I also need to stop procrastinating over starting sessions.

Overall score: 6 Sure i have some flaws but my game is definitely evolving, however first i need to fix up some basic issues such as tilt. i need to see poker as a long term journey and just enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Motto
Good assessment from what I know of your game. I didn't know you were struggling with tilt so much.
With the tilt area I read a while ago now an article about imagining you are a casino owner. Your edge isn't massive over good players but overtime you will still take money off them. Every now and again a drunken punter will walk in and lump his whole stack on red on roulette or perhaps even a longer shot that that.(our gutshot equivalent)
You have to accept that he will win plenty in the case of a flip. but if he does double you know he will be back because he gets a thrill out of it.
Your bankroll is the casino bankroll. Except of course we don't have to flip with that mug punter we can wait until the odds are more in our favor before stacking off against him.
He is still going to hit a win occasionally its all part of the long term.

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Motto
Good assessment from what I know of your game. I didn't know you were struggling with tilt so much.
With the tilt area I read a while ago now an article about imagining you are a casino owner. Your edge isn't massive over good players but overtime you will still take money off them. Every now and again a drunken punter will walk in and lump his whole stack on red on roulette or perhaps even a longer shot that that.(our gutshot equivalent)
You have to accept that he will win plenty in the case of a flip. but if he does double you know he will be back because he gets a thrill out of it.
Your bankroll is the casino bankroll. Except of course we don't have to flip with that mug punter we can wait until the odds are more in our favor before stacking off against him.
He is still going to hit a win occasionally its all part of the long term.

Thanks for the analogy i'll try and remember this when i play. But it isn't just getting unlucky vs fish that tilts me, it's also when i make a mistake (such as losing to a marginal call on the river) it distracts me for the rest of the session and i can't focus. i'm like "seriously why did i have to call there? i could have waited for a better spot" and get really annoyed with myself. it also tilts me if i make a play and lose and i'm not sure if my play was correct. i'll keep questioning that play mid session rather than focusing on new hands being dealt.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand Reading (R) 7
Depends on the player against some players I seem to do ok then othertimes against the fish can be way off.

Post-flop Bluffing (R/A) 6
I tend to CBET and Bet the Turn but shut down on the River. Sometimes think you are making a great bluff and they call with bottom pair on a bad River

Anticipating Opponent Reactions (P) 6
OK, makes it alot easier when somebody takes a bad beat then goes crazy

Light Value Betting (R/A) 7
Tend to just try against the pasive fish on drawy boards when I have top or 2nd pair and keep betting till the raise or when the obvious draws hit

Turn CBET% 45.2 - Plugging Leaks Overall & Leak Buster Overall
Turn Agg% 36.5 - Leak Buster Overall

River Agg% 30.02 - Leak Buster Overall

Are the above stats from the right location or should they all be on same Tab

Tilt Control (P) 7

Occasionall spew chips when the usual bad beats occur but got alot better.
Couple of years ago Id be tempted to chase but if I lose 2 or 3 buyins with suckouts I just stop playing. No point throwing more money away.

Calling Down Light (R) 5
Probably biggest weakness, Im one of lifes non-believers

Bet Sizing (R) 6
Alot of time never sure what sizes I should use especially on the turn.

If Im trying to get my stack in with strong hands on drawy boards, Im never sure what to Bet on Turn so River becomes easier, mainly at what point am I commited or if the obvious flush draw comes in, can I get away from it

Proper Aggression (A) 6,
I think my 3Betting is ok, although not sure which hands at times to do it with.
Post Flop I rarely 3 Barrel as it just seems I get shoved on the River.

Maybe linked with Bet sizes above

Capitalizing on Opponent Weaknesses (A) 6
probably ned to work at getting better with my HUD

Inducing Bluffs (R) 6
Ok against the aggros my checking back when obvious draws have missed when I have top pair etc and waiting for them to bluff

Math of Poker (R) 8
Know al my %'s of hiting my hand just not great on My EV against their range

Starting and Quitting Sessions (P) 8
Depends how its going, Linked to my tilt I know when to quit and wait for another day

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, great work guys! I'm going to go through each of these in detail and talk about some ways to focus and address anything you're struggling with. And in all seriousness, you guys have made a TON of progress over these last several months. I really want to congratulate you guys! I'm very impressed with your work ethic and the time you've put in.

Once we get through this workbook, we're really going to ratchet it up another notch. I'm going to be focusing on a lot of high level concepts that you'll be able to take into your small stakes and eventually mid-stakes games. So keep putting the work in because you guys are moving in a positive direction and you're going to get your games where you want them to be.

Great job! :party:

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the analogy i'll try and remember this when i play. But it isn't just getting unlucky vs fish that tilts me, it's also when i make a mistake (such as losing to a marginal call on the river) it distracts me for the rest of the session and i can't focus. i'm like "seriously why did i have to call there? i could have waited for a better spot" and get really annoyed with myself. it also tilts me if i make a play and lose and i'm not sure if my play was correct. i'll keep questioning that play mid session rather than focusing on new hands being dealt.

You seem to be even more a perfectionist than me then! I would suggest you remember losing hands is a very big part of poker. Often you will be calling against a range of hands and you will encounter situations where we beat 10 combos and lose to 10 so therefore I have to call 50% of the time. Its a game of incomplete information, even if you are playing to the highest possible EV than you will still be making plenty of mistakes its the nature of the game.
I view each hand like a golf shot, once its done its done, you can't change it so let it go. You can't play every shot perfect, it just doesn't happen like that, the guy who wins at golf is usually the guy who makes the least mistakes! Poker is the same in that way as the guy who makes the least mistakes wins the most money.
Good golfers know they are also going to play the occasional shocker. These are the ones you look at afterwards to see what what wrong and improve in that area.
Good course management is a big part of golf...not taking on massively risky shots that will often fail...poker is the same.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Y
I view each hand like a golf shot, once its done its done, you can't change it so let it go. You can't play every shot perfect, it just doesn't happen like that, the guy who wins at golf is usually the guy who makes the least mistakes! Poker is the same in that way as the guy who makes the least mistakes wins the most money.
Good golfers know they are also going to play the occasional shocker. These are the ones you look at afterwards to see what what wrong and improve in that area.
Good course management is a big part of golf...not taking on massively risky shots that will often fail...poker is the same.
Jack Nicklaus used to play precentage golf he knew every shot he hit was a fade and the worst fade was usually maybe about 20yd, so he'd aim 10 yard left of pin.

Hit straight shot - 10yd left :)
Worst fade - 10yd right :)
Slight fade - Next to the Pin :party:

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bit more like it!

Mixed 10nl and 20nl session on 888, 3 FR tables of each. :)

Attachments

• 10nl sess.JPG
    10nl sess.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 112
M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You seem to be even more a perfectionist than me then! I would suggest you remember losing hands is a very big part of poker. Often you will be calling against a range of hands and you will encounter situations where we beat 10 combos and lose to 10 so therefore I have to call 50% of the time. Its a game of incomplete information, even if you are playing to the highest possible EV than you will still be making plenty of mistakes its the nature of the game.

i like your golf analogy, im definitely gonna try using that :D

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
John
Ok I'm doing some work using the ace poker drills equity trainer.
I've had it since 2013 and have only ever used it for preflop scenarios in which I usually score 85-90%.
I have just discovered you can use it for flop, turn and river examples via the setting drill type menu. Doh... I'm scoring 70% is on the flop but on the turn I'm way off down at 25%. Sometimes I'm close but often with unpaired high over cards that have missed the flop i'm way out, usually I'm erring too low.
There is some very laggly play with some questionable preflop calls and plenty of raising on the flop with 2nd pair. Did these hands actually come out of someones 100nl database or did you just make em up? If these are real hands I'm definitely not ready for 100nl!!
On the FR table what sort of ranges should we be giving the utg openers and three bettors in these scenarios. I've been working on around 9% and 5% is that about right for FR?

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going through several examples of where the equity answers displayed are way over what I would consider probable using TAG opening ranges.
In the Ah7h example we are up against a MP1 who 3 bet an utg opening so i gave MP1 a 5% range.
Using an equity calc I make Ah7h no more than 28% equity on the turn yet all the answers are over 50%

example 2 with the KK I gave the opener (who was utg2 and called the KK 3bet a 10% range) which gives KK about 40% equity on the turn. To get the displayed right answer of 66-69% we need to give the opener a 60% opening range.....I'm confused

Attachments

• example.JPG
    example.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 116
  • ex3.JPG
    ex3.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 112
R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going through several examples of where the equity answers displayed are way over what I would consider probable using TAG opening ranges.
In the Ah7h example we are up against a MP1 who 3 bet an utg opening so i gave MP1 a 5% range.
Using an equity calc I make Ah7h no more than 28% equity on the turn yet all the answers are over 50%

example 2 with the KK I gave the opener (who was utg2 and called the KK 3bet a 10% range) which gives KK about 40% equity on the turn. To get the displayed right answer of 66-69% we need to give the opener a 60% opening range.....I'm confused
Are the answers on the right,
Our equity against their range on that board or
Their equity with their range against our hand

i.e. the 66-69% if its our equity then theirs is 31%-34%

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
John
Ok I'm doing some work using the ace poker drills equity trainer.
I've had it since 2013 and have only ever used it for preflop scenarios in which I usually score 85-90%.
I have just discovered you can use it for flop, turn and river examples via the setting drill type menu. Doh... I'm scoring 70% is on the flop but on the turn I'm way off down at 25%. Sometimes I'm close but often with unpaired high over cards that have missed the flop i'm way out, usually I'm erring too low.
There is some very laggly play with some questionable preflop calls and plenty of raising on the flop with 2nd pair. Did these hands actually come out of someones 100nl database or did you just make em up? If these are real hands I'm definitely not ready for 100nl!!
On the FR table what sort of ranges should we be giving the utg openers and three bettors in these scenarios. I've been working on around 9% and 5% is that about right for FR?

Hi Fig... can we post / discuss this elsewhere? I want to just keep this thread for the book discussion. Some things you have to consider is that ranges aren't static. A lot of people get really confused by this. I think there might be an APD thread in poker software. If not we can open one or something.