Study Group: Polished Poker Vol. II Workbook

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good short and long term goals. Write those out in the workbook. Hopefully you guys have somewhere you can print it out, because that would be ideal.

Dont have a printer so just been copying and pasting from the workbook then answering the questions as i go along.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont have a printer so just been copying and pasting from the workbook then answering the questions as i go along.

Not acceptable. lol

How is everyone scoring so far overall?

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not acceptable. lol

How is everyone scoring so far overall?

Assuming no time limit and calculators, pen and paper allowed I got them all right up* to the 3rd Fold equity question, i didnt have a clue on that one

not entirely sure on combo ones as i calculated total combos

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming no time limit and calculators, pen and paper allowed I got them all right up* to the 3rd Fold Equity question, i didnt have a clue on that one

not entirely sure on combo ones as i calculated total combos

Great. So what chapter are you on then?

F

fishinthesea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm on chapter 5, I really like how it's very similar to the first volume. I've gone back to the first volume a few times already just to re-read it to answer the questions in the workbook.

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've gone through all the questions now. i found the explanations very helpful and i too frequently reverted back to volume 1 to revise some areas i was weak on. There are still a few concepts i am unsure about (such as the different types of 3-betting strategies) but i am sure you will walk us through all these ideas in the forum.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great. So what chapter are you on then?

only on chapter 4 where it gets into the proper stuff:eek:

1 minor edit question 1 Page 36 ends
what should you look to do more of? (should be often)

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm on chapter 5, I really like how it's very similar to the first volume. I've gone back to the first volume a few times already just to re-read it to answer the questions in the workbook.

Yes, exactly. It's supposed to expand on all of the concepts with example and multiple choice questions and answers. If there's something you have a question about with the answers, then just let me know.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its a polish book ?

I was almost going to say... ha ha, bad joke, but then noticed you're from Poland. :) No, it's an English word - Polished, which means refined, to be made excellent, or skillful.

That's what we're trying to do with poker. Achieve some degree of excellence in it.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So our first coaching winner is going to be:

fishinthesea

We'll do some database analysis and talk about some poker strategy. PM me your e-mail and we can setup a time to do this, hopefully this coming week.

S

Smpl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I originally put this in the Vol. I thread but John suggested I repost it here:

My Poker Goals for 2015 (with some help from BlackRain79)

After doing some reading and putting in some thought to this topic, here's what I've come up with for 2015:

1. Play consistently. Play a minimum of 7 hours per week and hopefully stretch this out to 10 hours per week later on.

2. Study more regularly. Watch at least one video once a week. Do an hour ling review of my sessions once a week and post any interesting hands. Keep studying Polished Poker Vol I and II. Join in the study groups! Do an hour long Leak Buster review/opponent analysis once a week.

3. Play x hands per month. My target is 15,000 hands initially, I'll stretch this out to 25,000 when life permits.

4. Manage my bankroll properly and move up to $50nl (currently playing $25nl). I'm using 30 buy-ins for the level that I want to play at. Once I get to 40 buy-ins for $25nl, I'm going to take a 5 buy-in shot at $50nl, which will leave me with 30 buy-ins at $25nl if it fails. I'll rinse and repeat if necessary until it sticks. I'll do the same for $50nl/$100nl. If I ever drop below 20 buy-ins for any stake (including $25nl) I'll move down and try to build it back up again.

5. Write about it weekly to keep me honest and on track.

Smpl

J

Jonny_Boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice Thread John :)

Half way through reading your Polished Poker vol 1 so thought I would join this thread as planning on buying the Vol 2 workbook as soon as finished reading through this.

My goals for 2015 are :

1) Start again from scratch and stop being so obsessed with moving up limits.

2) Follow proper BR management.

3) Play at least 100k hands at 4nl before moving up. (Usually get bored at some where around 20k when winning at a decent WR)

4) Play 50k hands per month.

5) Spend at least an hour a day studying.

6) Stop being so results orientated.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, good... nice goal posts.

We're going to jump into some deep waters here soon about goals, so anyone else that's up to it, get in now.

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm looking forward to it! I'd be interested to hear your opinion of setting sub-goals or steps towards achieving your goal, like if you have a big goal for a month then you might make yourself smaller goals for each week to build up to it?

P

ph0n3_j4ck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My goals for 2015 and forward :

1. Continue playing at stakes I'm comfortable in! @25nl right now

2. When playing poker I need to take some time to better understand why someone does a move before making a move myself.

3. Take bad beats less seriously. Need to make sure I'm humble and try to control my tilt when I am on the receiving end of one.

4. Take breaks (a day, a week, hopefully not a month) when needed.

5. Be comfortable when playing 2 tables at once.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm looking forward to it! I'd be interested to hear your opinion of setting sub-goals or steps towards achieving your goal, like if you have a big goal for a month then you might make yourself smaller goals for each week to build up to it?

Yes, and we're going to start to go over that this week. It applies to poker and life, and I think this approach to looking at goals should be enlightening. So if you guys are ready and in, we'll get started.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, and we're going to start to go over that this week. It applies to poker and life, and I think this approach to looking at goals should be enlightening. So if you guys are ready and in, we'll get started.
Im ready !!

Been slowly working through the questions and was doing ok till I got to BLind Play.

Even though I scored 15 out of 26 most of the quesdtions I didnt have a clue and when I reread the chapter in PP1 I found it quite a hard read

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im ready !!

Been slowly working through the questions and was doing ok till I got to BLind Play.

Even though I scored 15 out of 26 most of the quesdtions I didnt have a clue and when I reread the chapter in PP1 I found it quite a hard read

What did you find that was difficult? We can break it down if you have some questions. Hopefully the ideas came across ok, or it was just difficult to understand in general?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So here's the thing my friends, goals are a measure of your understanding of yourself.

Bottom line... that's it. Ok, we're done and we can move on now. :)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In all seriousness, this is such a complex but important topic, I could write a book on it alone. My wife actually thinks I should write a book about this, but I still don't think I know crap yet. IMO, there's nothing more important that you could study in your life. If you spend time trying to understand the blocks that come up while reaching your goals, you will uncover a deeper and more profound understanding of yourself.

I spent A LOT of time in my youth trying to understand my problems, because, well, I had a crap load of them. :) Sparing you my life story here, I essentially spent a lot of time in my late teens and early twenties trying to understand my problems and myself. I went on week long+ meditation retreats, studied with many famous yogi's, Buddhist monks, and gurus to try and "make sense of it all". A path many others have been down when you're trying to discover yourself.

I realized after some satori experiences in my early days that there was a story I was always being pulled into when I meditated. It was very subtle, but I began to recognize the pattern of this "pulling". I realized that this story I was being pulled into was an alternate version of me that had a congruent connection with subtle "self talk" that would occur when I was putting off things I thought were important to myself. It was a big first ah ha moment for me, and I began writing these down extensively and the "self talk" I had in a book (I still have this book). What I started to notice really began blowing my mind... literally. I noticed that I had tons of "feeling states" in my conscious activities, that linked to these pulling states when I mediated, and as I began to explore these "feeling states" I began to uncover past scenes from my youth that directly connected to the "self talk" I had during my waking day.

I wasn't entirely sure what to do with all of this at first, but I began to realize that as I recreated those past scenes and looked at them, the pulling states during my meditation lessened. Meaning, I wasn't being as readily yanked into alternate states. My mind was more supple and focused. It didn't slip away quite as easily. I began talking to others about this, and soon I was having talks with other meditation students during breaks and we were puzzling through some of their "pulling states" and seeing the connection to their self talk and blocks. It was quite an amazing time.

To make a long story short, I eventually also found a philosopher who studied these states as well, and in a similar fashion, but he pushed it even a step further, and used Platonic dialectic to understand it more thoroughly. I began working with him and others on this, and spent somewhere up into my early 30's working on myself in this fashion and helping others understand as well.

It's a strange path to go from there to poker, but that's a whole other story. What I'd invite you to do if you're so inclined is pay attention to when you experience obstacles to your goals as descried on page 11. These are your clues to knowing that there's a problem that you need to investigate. I like to look at it as the mind providing you the information you need for you own spiritual growth. It will help you in poker goals, and any other life goal you have. Like I say in the book, the more personally meaningful the goal is, the more blocks you'll encounter.

100 points to anyone who can fashion a guess on why that is...

Last edited:
Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience people don't achieve their goals primarily because nearly all humans are lazy and most resist change until they see the benefits. (Full stop end of and I firmly count myself in there with the majority)
When they don't get what they want after the first few tries they then get greedy and want shortcuts. (Some steal, most just give up)
The ones who achieve are the ones who do so with a plan and a schedule and sometimes some good luck. You need the first two, if you don't schedule then laziness takes over and things get put off.
I think you are over complicating things for yourself , and I don't want to sound ungrateful but how about we keep your Platonic dialectic to your blog.
I'm still going to listen to your advice on poker hands though:).

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience people don't achieve their goals primarily because nearly all humans are lazy and most resist change until they see the benefits. (Full stop end of and I firmly count myself in there with the majority)
When they don't get what they want after the first few tries they then get greedy and want shortcuts. (Some steal, most just give up)
The ones who achieve are the ones who do so with a plan and a schedule and sometimes some good luck. You need the first two, if you don't schedule then laziness takes over and things get put off.
I think you are over complicating things for yourself , and I don't want to sound ungrateful but how about we keep your Platonic dialectic to your blog.
I'm still going to listen to your advice on poker hands though:).

I'd agree with the fact we're benefit based. I don't think that necessarily makes all humans lazy. What if I were to tell you that the goals you're not achieving are DIRECTLY related to your "laziness" or lack of energy from your blocks? It's not that you're lazy, but the block you're aware of at some level is robbing you of your energy.

And why do people resist change?

You're welcome to skip this part, but there's a reason we're going into this, and a reason it's in the book. If you want to study and be really good at this game, then you need to have goals and if you fail at those goals, know why you did. Why you didn't raise that turn when you "knew you should have". It's all related man. :) Trust me here.

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really sure what meditation and spiritual growth has to do with goal setting, but i am sure there is a good reason for you discussing it and i am open to new ideas :)

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not that you're lazy, but the block you're aware of at some level is robbing you of your energy.

I agree with this. Often my parents have told me in the past that I'm lazy and need to try harder with some things. However in reality i feel it isn't that I'm lazy it's just there is something in the way stopping me from achieving it. That block could be anything from a purely emotional block such as going through a temporary period of depression, to a physical or social distraction like a video games addiction or going out drinking too often.

I think for me personally the biggest block is poor organisation and time management. I often have an end goal in mind but since i don't schedule well the steps needed to achieve it on a day-to-day basis, it makes it difficult for me to achieve my goals. In short, I have a goal but i don't have a plan.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blocks are usually just hurdles that people won't climb over as there isn't a necessity. Most underachievers are comfortable where they are. They exist in a world of "not quite uncomfortable enough" to force themselves to change. Humans are creatures of habit and stick to what works for them that is where resistance to change originates.
Leopards don't change their spots is an adage that comes to mind.
Necessity is the mother of change and invention. Only people with drive vision and some grit get to the top.
I have plenty of energy it's not about that for me. Poker is no different from any other game really. You have to learn the techniques practice practice review practice.Repeat as required.
I'm on a new diet at the moment. It's the less cake more exercise it ain't ffing rocket science diet.