Rgds

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
assuming that opponent have AKo and we have QQ. will you call the all in made by opponent?
which is the better option here. Fold or call?

I know its not possible to narrow down opponents range to just AK. still like to know if calling on AK is right decision or wrong?
I would have a hard time laying down QQ anytime. I personally would call this more times than not.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I really don't want to be all-in with either of these hands. However if I'm short stacked the chips are going in.
QQ, AK, AQ all are hands that long term for some reason have been minus EV for me.
I have a particular problem with them on poker stars.

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
over rated hands

I really don't want to be all-in with either of these hands. However if I'm short stacked the chips are going in.
QQ, AK, AQ all are hands that long term for some reason have been minus EV for me.
I have a particular problem with them on Poker Stars.

i agree these hands can sometimes get your hopes up too high as from the beginning of texas holdem it has been instilled in a lot of people that these hands give you the best odds of taking the hand down

but lately i have had these hands and so many times they get wasted from hands like

my AK vs A6 A7 A8 and particularly A9 and if not those its definitely AA
my QQ vs AK Q6 QT and even Q4 +5
my JJ are losing more often then not
low PP are being beaten by the likes of K and ? and the ?card is normally lower in their hand but is higher than m one and they always tend to hit

so yes vigilance s key on top of patience and besides you get to make the decision to push or call the all in but then theres the times when you wish you did push because you hit the flop and you bet and all opponents fold. so depends on the timing and future of the tournament that you are in but there is always different factors to consider and thats what makes this game so exciting

i mean howmany times have you folded a QQ only to see someone else call the original raiser who had AA or KK in his hand and your queen was no where to be seen on the board. lol i have only done it once and its relieving and feels pretty good when you know that was the best fold of the year.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Odds calculator

Lats monthly Challenge I have been dealt QQ in early position, sitting on nearly 75 Big Blinds I was 2nd chipleader and I made a big raise for 5 Big Blinds and a middle position player went all In with his 32big blinds and action went to the Button guy who was sitting on nearly 76-77 Big blinds Button Re-Jammed and I just called. Both had A-K offsuit and Pokerstars punished me with an Ace on the flop I guess I made the correct play in this coin flip situation but It's wrong to gamble all our stack on any made hands if we are not already ITM.

You may want to put that scenario into the odds calculator and then decide if 66% not a coin flip is worth a call to collect 183 BB.

The pain of losing one hand is not equal to the pain of losing money over many hands.

Folding could be correct though if Button guys range was AA KK AKs AKo. Play around with those combos in the odds calculator to get a better idea of the math behind the decision.:)

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes or a lot of the time your going to get outdrawn. Avoiding all in before the flop is the way to go.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the all in, because the QQ with a chance to win 79.93% and 67.05% with AKs

Freeman748

Freeman748

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello!
I think the answer is a good solution! Good luck at the tables !!!:)

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation at the table,if called before you, and the opponent's stack is older,it makes sense to think,I saw a lot of situations before the dough,when throwing off QQ just without thinking.not always you'll be ahead,but the risk is a noble cause).

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
assuming that opponent have AKo and we have QQ. will you call the all in made by opponent?

I know its not possible to narrow down opponents range to just AK. still like to know if calling on AK is right decision or wrong?

Stack depth is important here. Since this is basically a flip and you are ahead, you just need to decide for yourself how much variance you want in your game. Most people are okay with stacking off in this situation in a 200bb cap cash game, but would probably fold it at a huge money bubble in a tourny. The same can be said for if you are much deeper effective stack with your opponent in a cash game. If you grind for 10 hours and are sitting on 1000+bb, it might be a spot you choose to fold to avoid the variance.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99% of the time an all-in pre-flop is a call with QQ. It only loses to 2 hands pre-flop and goes toe to toe with AK while slightly more favorable as you hold a pair.

A

abyk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If your opponents are good poker players, you should call.

If you feel your opponents are donks, then you should not call and leave it at a coin flip. Question is, how would you even know he has AK? Hard to tell he has AK, but since QQ is ahead and you don't know what they have, you most likely call.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you are 56 percent ahead of your opponent's range, so it is a classic race where you will have a slight advantage in the long run

My philosophy is that if you are OOP it's ok to go all in with QQ preflop because you are in trouble only against 2 hands.

And if you know that opponent has AK, in a cash game I would go for it unless it's for a way larger stack than you are comfortable.But then you shouldn't have been sitting at that table if that's the case.

Weird: Literally within seconds of me publishing this, my next hand was QQ on BB. I shoved against the btn raiser. It was QQ vs. AK and I lost. He hit not one, but two aces.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here you need to call if you are not playing at a very important tournament. But I would have thought at the responsible tournament.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

It depends on two things. Have aces and kings been on previous flops on table. If they have been probability says you probably won't hit a king or ace. If you have the pair of queens and you haven't hit trips with a pair of queens in a while then bet even if aces and kings haven't came cause chances are you will hit trips. On=line poker a little different they go by patterns and other stupid bets to say you didn't follow the pattern so you lose. True you could win if they happy with you. Your choice there. Just follow your pattern or play probabilities.

T

TheFaissal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never think about AK, the only hands that beat you preflop are AA and KK, so two hands to be exact, and in poker, you got to call, unless you're playing a satellite, or there is a big ICM cash involved.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you know 100% your opponent has AK then yes QQ is an easy call

If you run it thru an equity calculator like equilab you may be suprised to see that this isn't a 50/50 spot, you're actually about a 57% favorite over the AK which only has 43% chance of winning... that's almost a 15% equity advantage...

Vs a range of AA KK AK however QQ looks more like a fold than a call :puke:

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK Is not a favorite against any pocket pair before preflop, that is my opinion so I will just call and wait for the board to run low cards.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we are almost sure that the opponent has AКo, then our chances against his hand are 56%. Even if he has AКs, we have a 53% chance of winning. Taking into account the rake over a fairly long distance, we will win zero. But, we can hardly be sure that it has AK, so against the range of AK, JJ+, we only have 47%. Of course, a lot depends on the specific situation, but in general, with QQ it is best to play raise, call-3-bet, if we are sure that there is AK and fold, if we assume a wider range

C

Chibude4040

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who folds a pair of queens and ak preflop is an eternal loser. Such cards simply cannot be discarded by definition.

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You have QQ so you have 60% win vs 40% the opponent , VABank is the right decision ,my opinion,but you also need to take into account both ,the stack depth ,stage of tournament , opponent

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the limits we are playing, the positions and pre-flop action

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You get better odds with QQ, but it depends, most will go all in with this hand. If you play mtts, you can take into consideration how many BB you have, at around 25 or less, most people will have no hesitasion. If you are at 70 BB for example, maybe it't not worth the risk. In cash games, i would not go all in for 100 BB