How often do you play suited connectors?

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play these in late position if I can get in cheap. Can get in too much trouble with these hands and I'm not experienced enough to make all the right decisions post flop. I mean, even if I hit a flush with low cards what are the chances I'm beat by a higher flush?Plus these hands miss the flop like 85-90 % of the time.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember also to see that villain, at least sometimes, is capable paying you large if you hit with worse, either by being agressive or calling.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heard some really smart people talk about this, I'll boil it down to 2 main ideas:

first: you will need to steal to make these profitable, which means position! which should be your main focus if you want to make money anyway, do a scan on what you are winning with them by position, bet you the button or one off is your only profit over the long haul.

secondly: you cant play them versus people you dont know, baby flushes are very hard to play if you dont know your opponents, nits will have higher flush very often.

last thought, as you get up to J-10, you have the possibility of hitting the flop only to be facing AJ or A-10, becareful.

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position and the blinds...
But if its cash Ill raise them on the cutoff most times... button and SB definitely.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play them preferably with multiple callers for better pot odds and only when it is 5% or less of the effective stack size. It's a spec hand that could win a big pot if you hit but most likely I'll throw it away when I don't hit anything.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually not, maybe when everyone limps

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Lol,,,i just fold em.But connected,sometimes,,,,suited,useless.;)

Connectors being suited can put their value up considerably.

How often do I play them... "it depends"

ie.
If I'm sitting on a passive cash table where effective stacks are 100bb's deep, I'm playing them a lot!

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes, I will call with suited connectors if my stack is large enough, but, never on a re-raise

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely depends on stack size and stage of tournament. In late position suited connectors can be terrific 3bet bluff hands with lots of equity.

B

Brian11580

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them often, because there better then AA with only two outs being the number, or u getting out drawed

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them often, because there better then AA with only two outs being the number, or u getting out drawed
Um ok lets play. You can have the suited connectors and I'll take the inferior AA.

B

BigSlick20

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will play them on the cheap but you have to know when to let them go.

M

MrSamsa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently made the switch from tournaments to cash. Have made some greats plays and had some great losses. So far after 30k hands I'm breaking even playing .10/.25 cash.

How often are you playing 65 7/8 9/10 J/10 8/10 J/9? I have been 3 betting oppenents with these hands early and late position preflop to keep them guessing. Not all the time but often.

Any advice? Thankyou!!!

Playing them multi-way and in position is usually a recipe for success especially if the MP flats an UTG or UTG+1 raise. In my opinion you are looking to make money off of people overvauling AA or KK on wet boards. 87s 109s and J10s are great hands for this as your straights can connect with their broadway two pairs and TPTK's

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to understand the power of off-suit and suited connectors in poker. The latter are more priority, because can catch not only straight, but also a flush. Of unsuited connectors, the J10's hand is the strongest, because it can build four variants of the straight + the cards themselves are high enough that in some situations the captured pairs can be considered strong combinations.

1. The chance to get a different pre-flop connector is 15.7%
2. The suited preflop connector is 3.92%
3. Flush draw on the flop - 11%
4. Two-way straight draw on the flop - 9.3%
5. Flush on the flop - 0.84%
6. Straight flop - 1.3%

N

Neol0107

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it many times especially if my stad is quite large,

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always play suited connectors if no big raise the sick puppy in me has knocked out more AA and KK hands with suited connectors than any other hand remember 56 suited that hits flop can be a lot stronger than AA that misses the flop gud luck

IamVALHALLA

IamVALHALLA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I folded 3-4 clubs earlier pre-flop from the button, and watched in horror as flop came A-2-5 clubs. The pot got pretty healthy as one of those still in it ended up with a flush.. I would've cleaned up with a rare straight flush :/

Then this evening I had 8-9 (again clubs) on the button, thought about what happened earlier but decided not to get sucked in to "that old nonsense", folded them, and flopped 8-9-9.
It was another big pot that I would've taken down with a house.

That kind of thing happens to me all the time on pokerstars. It's making me feel like suited connectors are definitely worth at least seeing a flop with, provided you can do so fairly cheaply.

8CrazyEights8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We should play a little less these types of cards, taking into account that having suited connectors only increases in 2-3% the chances of winning.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The effectiveness of suited connectors increase as more opponents are in the pot. I wont usually go heads up with suited connectors. I like to play them whenever more people are in the pot.

H

HodCohen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments have reasonably well defined stages that change the feel of the game. Early stages tends to be 15-20 vpip nit fests, opening up as the blinds scale. Cash games don't have the same progression. Your range will need to shift to exploit the table. If you're in a typical cash game (~100 bb deep), and the average vpip is under 25, suited connectors and suited one offs can be a great way to pad your range out and start exploiting that excessive tightness. Like anything else, you have to be able to get away from the hand and adjust as your villains play back at you.

That being said, I prefer suited one offs to suited connectors. They tend to be better disguised when they hit hard, and two pair doesn't automatically open up the straight.

J

jospel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the suited connectors, 8/9, 9/10. They are great for seeing flops and slaying big pocket pairs.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors is my weakness, I keep playing it, but unfortunately lost more than won

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes - absolutely necessary to have more players in the hand.

Be careful for a bigger flush getting there if your connectors are low enough. Ex. 56h gets beat by KJh

If I am getting pot odds I will speculate with suited connectors as often as possible.

But - even with a strong draw - I could be shipping in a lot of chips for nothing.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play only such suited connectors 10 9 - 5 4.

I play only such suited connectors 10 9 - 5 4. I think this is the most optimal range. I play them only in the late position, in other positions I do the pass. If the stack allows, I can call in the middle position, or raise depending on who is sitting after me. I think that suited connectors are not a bad card, but if you do not hit the flop, then bluffing on such a card is useless because your kicker can be lower.