Can you really profit from a freeroll tournament

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To not benefit from freerolls you really have to be a very bad player, of course the freerolls are profitable because they are full of bad players and it is a riskless bet to not have buy-in

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely yes, it’s hard work but it’s possible. I got cashed out 550 € from unibet without depositing( played freerolls, make small bankroll and then played buy in tournaments). On ACR with freeroll bankroll played some qualifiers and won ticket for 8 k tournament and finished in 8th position, won 250$ - didn’t cash out, on poker stars make 110 $ and didn’t cash out, so it’s definitely possible if you’re disciplined and ménage you’re bankroll properly

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
IT'S all you can do ........barring you put a monetary value on your time ...losing costs nothing and winning is pure profit....I think at 62 waning years of my life im suppose to value every second more but i don't I put zero value on my time these days......good luck CC pals

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely....
It will be hard to earn a decent bankroll in public freeroll but private ones are really good. The catfschat freerolls for example
Are a great way to find your poker accounts with a small starting bankroll.

And the there are the rare opportunities to play a really high paying freeroll and make it to the final table... :) hope I will do it today because I got anrücket for $5000 freeroll on pokerstars

B

bulljeremy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im just trying to get some passwords for the freeroll tournaments:rolleyes:

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll Riches

I apologize if this has already been mentioned but there's a pro player out there who's trying to accumulate an enormous amount of money (to me) starting with nothing. He started playing freerolls then took those winnings into cash games starting at micro level. I believe he's made up to $10,000 over a year or so? Yes, you can make money starting with freerolls but it takes a while. I'm not so great since I just started so it's taken me a couple months to just get $10 starting with freerolls then moving to cash games.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course. You don´t have anything to lose. You just have to invest time.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes

yes....i think you can win.....the most important
e x p e r i e n c e

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant say because i never really won first place.

This is what I would do... Focus on cashing enough in the freeroll to then enter the cash tables at .01/.02 level. Play that level with seriousness and try to build a bankroll. Only move up stakes once you have a good bankroll.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes you can profit from freeroll tournaments even if you don't win in first place. Take your winnings to the cash table and double up. :D

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's impossible to lose anything. In that sense, even a mincash for 10 cents is "profiting". The real question is whether it's worth your time when you consider the prizepool against the size of the field.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess if you think about it, it is rather cheap entertainment even if you don't win anything. You probably aren't using much electricity and you are probably paying for internet anyway. But if making money is primary goal might be slightly better idea to work on your career.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely! Just play the ones that have a bigger guarantee and are password protected!

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It definitely can happen. I have won a couple of times and not all first place but the money. And if you have the patience and the discipline in a couple of months you can have a nice bank roll. :O)

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$10 to $220 right here, imagine if i was any good! Thats some sports bet, cash game money but mostly freeroll.

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You may not win a lot from Free-roll games. I have won some money and use it to buy into cash games. I have not won anything big but I have not had to play with my own money.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The money would get me to strip joints in Canada.

Which ones & when??

I've worked at a few of them... ie. Mississauga Tavern, Million Dollar Saloon, Latin Quarter, Silver Dollar room (in Toronto on Spadina), Mints (Niagara Falls), that one in Guelph (I forget the name of it), & a few others in the TO/Brampton/Mississauga area.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Profitable?

Well 1c is profit right?My two biggest wins of over 1 and 2000 have been entered or stepped to through freerolls,thats one of my most liked points about playing online.The ability to turn zero into thousands is always there even if it is a long slog.Cant play so well at the moment though,my heads all over the place even if i can get a connection.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Well, you can't lose anything in a freeroll, so all that's left is to make a profit :)
Best answer in the thread and it would have been my post verbatim, if I'd seen this thread first time round.

:top:
Which ones & when??

I've worked at a few of them... ie. Mississauga Tavern, Million Dollar Saloon, Latin Quarter, Silver Dollar room (in Toronto on Spadina), Mints (Niagara Falls), that one in Guelph (I forget the name of it), & a few others in the TO/Brampton/Mississauga area.
I'll be needing a tour guide one day when I visit canada, you sound like the perfect person, and Canada has $1 Coins. ;)

:bandit:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As others have said, if it cost you nothing and if you make a cent, you profit.

This really needs to be born in mind especially if you play via the Freeroll Club in private freerolls with (by definition) smaller fields. These tourneys cannot be valued enough both for the cashes they provide and the experience of playing a higher caliber of player. This is not to claim they are super sophisticated- they are not, but they are a step up in everyone's poker education and some players are very good.

When you start in the FRC (but this applies broadly to any freeroll) you should give yourself some specific goals. The first to learn to cash regularly. The reason for this is it makes you hyper aware of exactly where you stand throughout the tourney and how to navigate the bubble. Plus, it cannot be underestimated what this does for confidence. If you cash regularly you will develop a sound pre-bubble game and then it will become almost natural for you to open up your range and aggression post bubble. If you cash regularly you give yourself more opportunities to ladder up.

That said, there is an argument to be made to swing for the fences, to try to double up early then take an aggressive stance through the entire tourney attempting to make the final table (with noticeable increases in terms of payouts). Go big or go home. It's a valid point and one which should be employed at least some of the time...but...I think it can develop some bad habits. People play in an overly aggressive manner, broaden their range too much. In short, it's frequently obvious people are playing in a lazy, undisciplined manner. They actually can't be too bothered.

And that brings me back to some basic points if you want to profit from freerolls - as it's been established you can.

Take the freerolls seriously - in fact, if feasible limit your activity over a period to building a bank exclusively from FR's- be determined to do so. Prove to yourself you can win in an environment that is full of aggression because that is going to stand you in good stead elsewhere.

I recently listened to Jason Koon explain how he literally isolated himself and plowed through around 50,000 hands over a period of weeks to improve a specific weak spot in his game. This was in the broader context of perpetually studying and developing his (our!) game.

If you believe you have 'game' and the kind of determination a player like Koons has to succeed, then I believe not just profiting but building a bankroll from strategically playing freerolls is an end to itself. A great exercise to undertake. The flip side being if you do not have the focus and determination to launch yourself at such a project on this level, then you should ask yourself what you believe you can get out of the game in the longer term.

Freerolls are free money. I can't think of many, if any, places outside of poker where the equivalent of freerolls are offered daily. How can anyone -specifically when building a bankroll- not be motivated to take advantage?

Last edited:
nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll strategy game that works As we have already found out, all traditional strategies do not work. Mostly we encounter frivolous and bad players, but we will use them to our advantage. A few rules of thumb will help you: A lot of limpYou will not find this in an article about strategy, but do it anyway. Any hand with which you will raise from an early position is likely to face an all-in, even at the 1st level blinds. You can raise with your AK and JJ +, but at least 2 players will always play in front of you. Check it on the odds calculator to see your equity against two random hands and realize that your chances are not as good as you think. Instead, it is better to limp with promising hands and play the flop. The better your position, the more hands you can limp.If you flopped in two pairs on the flop - push. If on the flop you hit the set - push. There will always be someone who calls with a top pair or even with overcards such as AJCall the top of the top However, you should not play good hands too aggressively. You should always call with something like AK on a board like AT953.

Z

Zeuzjuice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you limp your strong hands instead of raising you are setting yourself up to getting beat by weak two pairs, baby pair sets, straights, and flush’s. You strengthen your even stronger hands by raising and getting hands that are potentially dominated calling and getting all those marginal hands that can smash the flop out of the contest preflop.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, you can stack up on your winnings from freerolls even though its not first place. Also, you can use your freerolls winnings to play in cash games and build a bank roll.

B

BDR-83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course yes. The main thing after winning freeroll is to have patience and play disciplined for cash.