Are you a late-registration sniper?

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have the bankroll for late entry. I like to think I have an edge and want to capitalize on that from the beginning

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like late regging too.
You mostly have to play bingo(or be real lucky to get a winning monster hand) in the few orbits you can play before blinding out.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in a state of flux about that. I used to want to enter to build my stack early. But the length of the tournaments and my winning percentages were not what I wanted. I'm starting to enter later and depending on the distance to ITM I have been entering at the end stage of registration. I don't make any plans to do so, however, I just look at the games when I feel like playing.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on your ability as well if you late reg, you know that you are going to be faced with immediate decisions with regards to your stack due to blind levels, there are some tourneys out there that can accommodate this but for the sheer love of the game, for value for money - i like to start from the start...i can get my groove on and build a stack - especially in late reg KO tourneys where you can KO those damn late reggers! lol

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have two or three cheap tournaments, where I always latereg/addon and most of the time make ITM. As people are waiting for the money spread, you can almost shove every hand and they might fold. (don't try with 62o, but acerag, pocket pairs...) Besides you are often seated at a table with other laterregs or similar stack sizes, so I rarely face Bigbulls that can easily call. In general I like more to start from the beginning and eat some fish to strengthen up. In expensive or more important tourneys with 3 hours latereg I like to enter after the first hour, when blinds are higher and antes worth to steal.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some time i enter late but only if i have about 30bb

JohnnyBoy928

JohnnyBoy928

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this all the time and have done it myself a few times as well... Depends on the luck factor imo...

Most times I like early buy-in because lower blinds means a wider range of cards I would call with... that way I can build a chipstack... but if I am running well then registering late and going all in with premium hands is what I will do depending on the tournament... but that is when I am more lucky then usual and I hit those outs and odds more frequently...
So I was reading a thread earlier about when the best time to enter a tournament was, the majority of the answers seemed to agree that early on towards the start is typically the best time to join in most situations. That had me wondering though - how many of you out there will look for those late registration MTTs that are in the last level or two of registration to join in depending on how far from the bubble it is. I've done this multiple times trying to make a quick buck, or an easy way to turn a ticket into cash. I've heard of some people getting as lucky as registering and end up ITM before they even had a chance to play a hand. I feel like it doesn't work out for me most of the time personally, I prefer to join in for the long haul. But how many of you out there profit from taking advantages of these types of situations?? Any big wins out there from your late-reg sniping experiences?? Thoughts on why this is considered a bad idea in your book?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it is a cheap to my bankroll large field small buy-in MTT I register on last level wait for K9s or better than JAM and rebuy accordingly.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you late register, all pots you play will be much more significant, compared to pots you play in the earlier stages of the game. Players can opt to late register, because playing the earlier stages is simply not worth their time. Their hourly rate is higher when they late register.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've registered late on ACR when av stack is about 2-3 times starting but yes you need a few double ups to make it ITM. I've also busted rebought in a few times hoping to get lucky and wasted $ and not made the money. I have to resit the urge to join really late because it's probably going to be a money waster. I think it's ok to join about an hour or so late in a 3 hour registration though. When I come in late I have a bit more of a cowboy "there's not much time, let's go" which can work. When you sit there all that time and build a nice stack carefully and then people join late and shove for half your stack it's hard to play that game.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like late registration. At late registration your stack is already below average, and it's a bit annoying. I think that tournaments should be played from the very beginning, because it allows you to increase your stack due to weak players.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to registrer at startup :D
Having above 100bb and be able to play poker and not entering
with a fold or shove stack, is what i enjoy the most.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Depends on the tournament.Late registration is an advantage sometimes.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will only late register if I still have at least 10-15 big blinds.

I don't do this often only if I missed a tournament and it has good value.

Doing this hurts your chances to go really deep(thats what she said) and min. cashing shouldn't be a goal.

There are some who do this often and it is kind of annoying when you have a huge stack you built up and just before registration ends someone sits in and doubles up 4 times in a row and is now ahead of you in chips.

Nature of the beast with late reg so long. :fight:

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like to say if there is a something allowed in poker you should do it. Try everything. Do everything. It might be just what you need. when they came up with "3HOURS LATE REG" ..I decided it was time to try late reg. I love it. I also agree you should be looking for late regs and see if it would be profitable for you to jump in ...it's free money ..DO IT!

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hello.For my very late registration is not a good advice.With a small stuck you cant make bluffs and provoke fear .Poker bullying from deepstacks will be present.

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes will register at level 4/5 blinds - about 20m into a turbo tourney

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many of the really bad players are gone by then, I just dont know about joining late. The only time I join late is when Im forced to because the MTT I want has already started and it is that or nothing. I have NEVER EVER heard of anyone being ITM without playing a hand that sounds like Urban Legend...

There is another interesting philosophy about MTTs that states play in as few hands as possible which usually involves shoving PF almost every time, you either get a fold or double up or you are out, but it keeps you from getting outplayed on the flop, or from people calling with bad hands and then sucking out on you.

I did it for a while and saw far more final tables than I had by playing lots of hands with cagey flop play... I have never forget that.

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont like late registration after big time because you have many BB

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've registered late enough to where I was in the money before I played a hand but never ran deep because it takes quite a few double ups to get into contention. The deeper stacked you are the further you'll go in tournaments. coming in with 3-5BB and running good enough to get up to 30-50BB is quite a task.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like it very much, many players already have a big stack and in some cases the BB can affect a lot of initial stack (there are players that enter the end just to give all in and try to increase) but if this not, you will be in a situation uncomfortable.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yesterday went to the tournament at $ 4 for 8 minutes before the end of late registration.Played almost 4 hours but won 19 dollars.But it was very tiring. and yet I do not like these games.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to register on time. So I will have time to choose a good card and raise my stack without risks. In case of late registration, there is a luck case.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like late registering for the mini daily marathon on pokerstars as you can be in the money one hour later.