Will you ever fold AK in this spot?

D

delox7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't have folded it, can't do anything about the opponent's cards.
Do you won?

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not go all in untill you have a strong made hand. AK are very hard to fold.
When your opponent re raises that meabs he got somthing too. then see the flop if dont hit the flop simply fold.

Dany_Style

Dany_Style

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,i think if you read your opponent,and call its good call,but yestarday i play with one man, this opponent limp from MP,SB on KK and AA two times,because he know maybe I push all in for chip on the table,so i think you push is good here,your opponet many time fold after bluf 3 bet,or you have 2 over card,good luck everyone.

kingkesh93

kingkesh93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way would I have folded AK heads up pre flop. AK v pocket 10s is a flip after all. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't

hueanu

hueanu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the tournament and the position in the table and can

P

println

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've mentioned the stack sizes in the original post. As for blind levels, we weren't deep at all. I don't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't more than 15BB.

It would be criminal to fold AK in this situation assuming 15BB stack as there is too much money in the pot and I wouldn't over estimate your edge.

Remember, a player stats at 9-handed are going to be different than at 2-handed

If you assign him an extremely NIT range (which I find hard to believe)
22+,AQs+,AQo+

Hero -> 47%

Assume you both have 15bb, you opened 2BB, he makes it 4BB. There is now 6 BB in the pot!!

From his perspective, you must be opening with junk. You wake up with AT+, you are definitely 3-betting.

J

jmcurley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you never fold. Even if you saw his cards I would hope you still shove imo.

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned that on PS AK dont win very often,many times in tournaments i fold them when someone puts me all in,but in heads up i would never fold.

J

Jnuttall26

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never! Not heads up like that. Good shove btw

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never fold Ak when i have great stack and my opponents have much less on preflop...and when i play with big stacks players i try to see flop..

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well you didn't have to go all in . you could of just called to see the flop, and go all all in if you hited the A or K, But that's what i would of done

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation I really don't think I would ever fold AK especially when this could be crucial for winning the whole tournament.

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
41 hands is statistically insignificant - don't put too much weight behind it

and heads up changes everything, he may consider AK or KJ a monster there - I'd make that call 100% of the time, only two hands crush you and you have the blockers

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned that on PS AK dont win very often,many times in tournaments i fold them when someone puts me all in,but in heads up i would never fold.

I'm really not trying to sound rude but I suggest learning basic math and poker odds before playing poker again, AK is only slight favorite to 27, hence the phrase "that's poker" - spend more time learning the game and less time thinking AK is golden - if they have live cards you are only a slight favorite if you get it all in preflop - main reason it holds up more often than not because the A high is what wins the hand

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
call call

im really hater AK in my hand.. Only call preflop

J

johnnygadget

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I'm with the majority on this one, I'd shove it in. I have been there just the other day, in a 18 player sng. Only two left, I'm one of them, I get AJ shove, he calls with Q high or something, a Q lands on the turn and after that hand I didn't even have enough chips for the blind. I didn't feel bad about though, I could have just raised but I'm almost certain he would have forced me allin anyways, so I feel I made the right move, regardless of the outcome

RustyHeart

RustyHeart

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2 words

Two words I try not to use in poker are: always and never. There are to many exceptions, too many different situations to play in back and white.

S

Steve V

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't stress. That's the risk of any unpaired A vs pocket pairs.... If you don't connect with the cards you're in trouble.
That being said, I wouldn't have backed off with AK either :)

F

FlyingFitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost with ak many many times

I have lost my shirt many times chasing the ace king hoping for one to land - I would of folded.

S

StayHigh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
9 out of 10 that hand should win so no.

P

Pessoa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads-up at the final table of a 45 man SNG on Pokerstars. The other guy is a super nit. His VPIP at the beginning of the FT(41 hands) was 2. He managed to win a lot of flips and had around 35k chips and I had around 30k. I was re-raising pretty much everything and he was folding. 6-7 hands in, when our stacks were about equal, I got AK and I bet, he raised and I re-raised him all in. He had 1010 and it held up. There is no way I should've folded in that spot right?

i agree, no way to fold it, but maybe you shouldn't reraise it, in many hands you can end up with the higher Kicker post flop, in a coin flip you are behind 55 to 45 so all in pre flop shouldn't be your plan

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
i would never fold a,k in hu not even vs nit

bujjhati

bujjhati

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heads-up at the final table of a 45 man SNG on Pokerstars. The other guy is a super nit. His VPIP at the beginning of the FT(41 hands) was 2. He managed to win a lot of flips and had around 35k chips and I had around 30k. I was re-raising pretty much everything and he was folding. 6-7 hands in, when our stacks were about equal, I got AK and I bet, he raised and I re-raised him all in. He had 1010 and it held up. There is no way I should've folded in that spot right?

I guess you should not fold, in some point of every tournament you have to flip coins, if you want to win a tournament you will have to flip a couple of times, try not to flip too much, I guess the safest spot to flip is on the finals stages of the tournament, so I think you did right.

Folding in Poker