Will you ever fold AK in this spot?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm really? I had no idea that mattered whatsover. Tell you what, next time you're 100BB deep heads-up at the final table of any 45 man SNG, send me a screenshot, will you?
...I don't play 45 man SNGs, so that's not going to happen any time soon.

I just assumed that most people would have the sense to deduce the point you made below, but I guess I was wrong. My bad, won't repeat it in the future.
...I don't like to assume anything. Yes, I had the common sense to deduce the stacks may have been shallow, but I don't assume they were because I don't know how that SNG played out. What if every player had gone all-in, at every table, and all but 5 busted out on the first hand? Now we're at a 5-man final table, deep stacked, and low blinds. Is this very unlikely and pretty stupid to consider? Yes, but it's possible and I wouldn't have know this unless you had mentioned it. The more information you give, the clearer a reply can be.

In which scenario do you think I'm less likely to mention how deep we were?:
(1) We weren't deep enough for it to matter

...Stack sizes always matter. I don't know why you think it doesn't. More importantly, effect stack size is important on how one should consider playing a hand.

What about other stack sizes at the table? This is also important as well. What if next BB only has 1 chip left and you're shoving AK for 15BBs in what's most likely a flip scenario against an equal stack. I haven't checked ICM, but that's possibly a fold in that situation, but possibly a shove if all stacks were equal.

(2) This is the extremely rare scenario where we got down to headsup action so fast that we are still in one of the early blind levels...Well, I would hope you mention the blinds in this scenario. It would save a lot of time, especially for those of us who don't like to assume anything.
...above

I don't understand why you're giving those who are trying to help such a hard time when they're replying with basic questions, thoughts, and suggestions.

In the end, and with all the info gathered, was your shove fine? Yes, most likely. Could I give a much better answer if I knew all the stack sizes at the table that I could plug into an ICM calculator? Of course, but that's really extreme and not necessary.

You had a good hand, you got in, and lost. Thumbs up, good play, unlucky.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i didn't take it as being condescending, i took it as being combative and annoying.

In any case i was just trying to help, but i apologize for my sarcastic response. The thing is i see it all the time as something people do alot, and the worse the question, the worse the answer you will get. Yes i did assume you were shallow, but that's beside the point, i wasn't trying to help you on this specific hand, i was trying to help you on future hands that you posted.

Also, i don't play 45 mans, but i would think that 20-40 bb stack sizes would be pretty common HU? If that's the case it can change the way we play the hand vs differing opponants. Like vs a nit we might want to steer clear of the all in preflop if we are gettting close to the 40 bb stack size.

In any case best of luck and hope that you continue to post hands for feedback in the future. (don't worry i won't reply :p)

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stack sizes always matter. I don't know why you think it doesn't.

What I meant is would a shove be incorrect according to ICM, if say we were 40BB deep instead of 15BB?

More importantly, effect stack size is important on how one should consider playing a hand.

I'd mentioned in the OP that we were about equal in chips. I had a little more than 1 BB than him, so the effective stack size isn't really relevant in this case.

What about other stack sizes at the table? This is also important as well. What if next BB only has 1 chip left and you're shoving AK for 15BBs in what's most likely a flip scenario against an equal stack. I haven't checked ICM, but that's possibly a fold in that situation, but possibly a shove if all stacks were equal.

Aren't you straying off topic a bit? Hadn't I mentioned that this was heads-up?

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good hand doesn't mean good luck.
We don't know anything before pre-flop.
So, No call No chance.

Z

ZeeCpt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He knows you bet slightly light, so his range is definitely wider thank QQ+ to raise. TT is probably the lowest he goes though. Let's say he'll also play AQ. So you're good vs AQ, flipping vs TT, JJ, QQ, Splitting vs AK, and losing to AA, KK. It's a coin flip. I'd rather call the raise against that. You shouldn't expect him to fold once he went aggro, so there's nothing bad in seeing the flop. If you don't hit anything you check fold and play on.

Last edited:
Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
realy fold in heads up AK? of course no

H

Halid68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in before flop not thinking much it is heands up ...;)

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is strong definitely,but there is no hand that couldnt be beaten...

V

Vitorgmfp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We want that all chips will go at the center.

Ineed1moredeuce

Ineed1moredeuce

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't imagine ever folding AK in that situation. In all likely hood, you had to know the nits range is certainly 10's and up when he raises you in that particular spot.

fortopyan

fortopyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if your opponent CO reraised all-in (you in EP)

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes always you have situation you must fold AK,only i WOULD NEVER FOLD,AA,and KK,pre flop.........

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he's such a NIT makes no sense to exhibit all, at least while the stack is more than 10 blinds

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hard to say, but if he is that tight its clear he only goes all in with pocket pairs and AK is underdog, but it really is hard to fold it, don't know how I would do in that situation.

T

Terrell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly what I was about to write. No need to shove when you know your behind and you can see a flop

I think there were a couple of things. You had the read on him so his re-raise should have signaled a big hand. I think you could have smooth called in this situation. It's a good play because if he is re-raising you and he's a super nit, then he is wanting you to push and try to bully so he can call you, in fact, he was waiting for that hand to do it with. A call here and then you could test him on the flop, if overs come, he may believe you and you've picked up the pot, same with a lot of other scare boards, if you completely miss and he is still playing aggressive, then you have gotten away from the hand relatively cheap, and the way he is playing, unless he is getting a lot of big hands, you are going to chip away at him until he has no choice but to start playing back at you, But in this situation, where the chips are even and your up against a super nit, I think the right move is to call pre-flop and then outplay him.

B

Biznardian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, wouldn't fold it either in HU.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is strong but sometimes we have to fold it if two or 3 players are allin

B

beckyg89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK late in satelite

Hey wondering about this hand, in 30th place with about 60 left- top 22 cash a ticket in a Sunday million satelite. If I call and lose I'm out of the tournament- if I win ill be in about 4th place almost locking up a ticket.

Seat 1: brodvei4eg (284272 in chips)
Seat 2: Tokiana (74834 in chips)
Seat 3: Z-a-f-777 (275000 in chips)
Seat 4: RECHUK (303811 in chips)
Seat 3: HERO (140780 in chips)
Seat 6: letsdance77 (394570 in chips)
Seat 7: slava1482606 (78158 in chips)
Seat 8: kovalenkoAce (176389 in chips)
Seat 9: dalpans (152999 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ac Kh]
slava1482606: folds
kovalenkoAce: folds
dalpans: raises 48000 to 56000
brodvei4eg: folds
Tokiana: raises 18034 to 74034 and is all-in
Z-a-f-777: folds
RECHUK: folds
HERO: raises 65946 to 139980 and is all-in
letsdance77: folds
dalpans: calls 83980

Assuming dalpans and tokiana have a range of 99+, AQs+ and AQo+ I'll have an average equity of 28.7 percent. Or 2.5:1 underdog. I'm getting 2.6:1 to c so i'm getting the right price so i guess its a call (a shove but I basically have no fold equity in this spot) but I don't really get how ICM considerations work yet. Thoughts?

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn´t fold. If he has AA or KK that´s just a cooler. Nothing i can do about it.

M

MASURON2KE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads-up at the final table of a 45 man SNG on Pokerstars. The other guy is a super nit. His VPIP at the beginning of the FT(41 hands) was 2. He managed to win a lot of flips and had around 35k chips and I had around 30k. I was re-raising pretty much everything and he was folding. 6-7 hands in, when our stacks were about equal, I got AK and I bet, he raised and I re-raised him all in. He had 1010 and it held up. There is no way I should've folded in that spot right?

Instant all in no folding here

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing heads up AK is not to be folded.

You played it well and often HU is based on luck.

That hand could have went both ways.

S

Sereda Max

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In certain situation it is possible to throw out aces even.For example, on the buble of a satelite, when a few players already went all-in

Folding in Poker