Will you ever fold AK in this spot?

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heads-up at the final table of a 45 man SNG on pokerstars. The other guy is a super nit. His VPIP at the beginning of the FT(41 hands) was 2. He managed to win a lot of flips and had around 35k chips and I had around 30k. I was re-raising pretty much everything and he was folding. 6-7 hands in, when our stacks were about equal, I got AK and I bet, he raised and I re-raised him all in. He had 1010 and it held up. There is no way I should've folded in that spot right?

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't say there is no way, but it is very unlikely HU. Only way I'm folding is if I know that I can continue to get chips relatively easy just by continually being aggressive and if he fights back I know he's got a big hand.

9x out of 10 I'm going with AK though tbh

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 Good hands in Heads Up with similar stacks facing off to finish the tourney... I think it was a very strong hand to go all in with... But a super nit raising you like that ! When you shoved did you think you were ahead ? How did he read you ? He probably read your Ax and took the slight odds advantage and won the race... On another day he wouldn't

Well played tho... Runner Up is still great result !

And No, I wouldn't fold it LOL...

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't have folded it.

Given your reads on V, it's safe to assume he has 1010+.

Because stacks were equal, a guaranteed flip for it all is a play you can deploy to let the deck decide who wins instead of trying to tangle with them any further. That's how I look at it, anyway.

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 Good hands in Heads Up with similar stacks facing off to finish the tourney... I think it was a very strong hand to go all in with... But a super nit raising you like that ! When you shoved did you think you were ahead ? How did he read you ? He probably read your Ax and took the slight odds advantage and won the race... On another day he wouldn't

Well played tho... Runner Up is still great result !

And No, I wouldn't fold it LOL...

I didn't really think I'd be ahead. I mean, there was a slight chance that he might have something like AQ or AJ even because I was 3 betting with ATC at that point and he might've finally decided to take a stand but more likely than not he'd have some sort of pair. However even if I could see his hole cards and knew that he had TT, I'm still always gonna take that flip with 1010.

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi
in a heads up match ak is a hand you cant fold pre flop
if you have more chips than him its an easy call.in your situation you were commited to call after your re raise
only way to fold in my opinion is when you are better hu player from your opponent,you are not commited to call and you have the same chips with him

W

Will_o_Wisp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If it wasn't for heads up i would think about folding. Well as it is heads up after all, I would do the same thing. AK suited or no is too good a hand to fold in this situation.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads-up at the final table of a 45 man SNG on Pokerstars. The other guy is a super nit. His VPIP at the beginning of the FT(41 hands) was 2. He managed to win a lot of flips and had around 35k chips and I had around 30k. I was re-raising pretty much everything and he was folding. 6-7 hands in, when our stacks were about equal, I got AK and I bet, he raised and I re-raised him all in. He had 1010 and it held up. There is no way I should've folded in that spot right?

AK insta-snap-shove in a SnG.

S

Sergei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK of course a good map but very risky. So-how many people go all-in forgetting that among the five cards on the table may not always be desired map. And in this case that there really is 10-10 them even 2-2 has) But on the other hand if you land A or To then you have top pair with the senior kicker.

rflbarreto

rflbarreto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the 4bet I wouldn´t fold it too ... no way

M

Mantones

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
insta CALL brother,he may got JJ QQ AK KK or (very rare ) AA.

theboss

theboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hu this is never a fold. If you are planning to fold AK hu you should just sit out man.... Even if you knew he had tens you should get it all in._

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how deep we are, but it can't be that bad to jam in AK HU. Next time include ALL relevant info about stack sizes and blind levels.

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For all those saying "even if I knew he had TT I will still shove" this is stupid. TT HU is a slightly better hand than AK. If you KNOW he had TT it should be always fold guys, if you want to be winning player. As played, shoving is OK. Lots of times you will be against a weaker ace. It's really up to you, but some people will call in this spot and see if they hit.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heads up I am probably going to go for a showdown having AK. If my opponent has AA (which is unlikely since I have an A). The odds are good for me. I am in it to win it!

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no i think you made the right play. i dont see myself folding ak on heads up even if the other player is a nit unless i was very deepstack like 100 or more bb however these is not the case and you just lost a 55% 45% all in preflop however in most cases you will be ahead because these players migt call the all in with hands like aq,aj,a10, kq or even kj

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends how deep we are, but it can't be that bad to jam in AK HU. Next time include ALL relevant info about stack sizes and blind levels.

I've mentioned the stack sizes in the original post. As for blind levels, we weren't deep at all. I don't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't more than 15BB.

TREX1278

TREX1278

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how deep your are means everything how you play this hand

Last edited:
xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there were a couple of things. You had the read on him so his re-raise should have signaled a big hand. I think you could have smooth called in this situation. It's a good play because if he is re-raising you and he's a super nit, then he is wanting you to push and try to bully so he can call you, in fact, he was waiting for that hand to do it with. A call here and then you could test him on the flop, if overs come, he may believe you and you've picked up the pot, same with a lot of other scare boards, if you completely miss and he is still playing aggressive, then you have gotten away from the hand relatively cheap, and the way he is playing, unless he is getting a lot of big hands, you are going to chip away at him until he has no choice but to start playing back at you, But in this situation, where the chips are even and your up against a super nit, I think the right move is to call pre-flop and then outplay him.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've mentioned the stack sizes in the original post. As for blind levels, we weren't deep at all. I don't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't more than 15BB.

ya but if you don't include how deep we are you get answers like ^^^^

O

OldDog456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am on the side of on the size of the stack and if you can out play him or not, If I am in the lead I will definitely consider a fold and get in a better position.

akyurukov

akyurukov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up i wont fold AK pre ...in this situation...you just were unlucky was a flip..

Folding in Poker