Will you ever fold AK in this spot?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy shove.

We want that all chips will go at the center.

Its a flip and just unlucky for us he held up.

N

NatalVallina

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never folg AK in a turnament HU

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends how deep we are, but it can't be that bad to jam in AK HU. Next time include ALL relevant info about stack sizes and blind levels.

this. I appreciate that it is probably still correct to Jam seeing as we are likely to be super short, the fact that so many people respond without even considering how many bbs were in play or what the structure of the 45 man was is ridiculous.

you guys need to think more about what you are doing.

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok my bad, how silly of me to try and help you post hands better so that you can get better feedback.

Aww gee thanks. Do me a favour and next time you see any question I've posted, don't bother clicking it.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you realise, in what persent of happenings Ace or Kings will come on board? There is 25-30% !!!! So, unfortunately, in this situation you get 70% of NO ACE-KING happens. Sorry but on preflop AK has 42% to win, and AKs has 46%. So there is perfect cards to all - in heads up!

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there were a couple of things. You had the read on him so his re-raise should have signaled a big hand. I think you could have smooth called in this situation. It's a good play because if he is re-raising you and he's a super nit, then he is wanting you to push and try to bully so he can call you, in fact, he was waiting for that hand to do it with. A call here and then you could test him on the flop, if overs come, he may believe you and you've picked up the pot, same with a lot of other scare boards, if you completely miss and he is still playing aggressive, then you have gotten away from the hand relatively cheap, and the way he is playing, unless he is getting a lot of big hands, you are going to chip away at him until he has no choice but to start playing back at you, But in this situation, where the chips are even and your up against a super nit, I think the right move is to call pre-flop and then outplay him.

I think this is a good response and well constructed. Some people have just accepted "ok we are flipping let's leave it to chance" but this was a good response.we are always looking to improve are odds of winning.

D

dudubets

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for me you had to think first ..what you know about others? They are agressive? They do slow play? I think you did well, AK is a good hand.

N

NatalVallina

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me you had to think first ..what you know about others? They are agressive? They do slow play? I think you did well, AK is a good hand.

I guess there is no option to fold. Even a tight player pushes AJ or AQ

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you realise, in what persent of happenings Ace or Kings will come on board? There is 25-30% !!!! So, unfortunately, in this situation you get 70% of NO ACE-KING happens. Sorry but on preflop AK has 42% to win, and AKs has 46%. So there is perfect cards to all - in heads up!

this ^ is the quality OP is after!

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If u had hit an A or a K and won u would've been a hero.....unfortunately u lost.....great play, just unlucky.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of places that I don't mind folding A-K. Heads up at the final table is probably not one of them. There are a lot of times when I'm waiting for my opponent to act, and thinking that I'm going to do one thing the whole time. But then when it's my turn to act, I do something different, almost as if someone clicked the button for me. So it's hard to say 100% what I would do without being there in the moment.

As I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking of how many times I've been up against agros that are calling with anything and betting any time I check. While I'm probably never going to be laying A-K down pre-flop against anyone right here, I don't know that I would have gotten them in before the flop in this particular spot. Against a lot of players, you would have to think that slick is good before the flop. Even after missing the flop, A-K could still be ahead, but it's hard to tell against a player that is willing to call with almost anything. In which case, it's probably best to go ahead a shove pre-flop and put the pressure on them to make the call.

The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that you said this guy was a super NIT. I may not necessarily be shoving against a 3-bet from a super NIT. But then again, I might. On the other hand, I might just flat call there and see the flop. Like I said, it's the super NIT thing that bothers me. And again, I would have to be there in that moment to say for sure, but 8, and maybe even 9, times out of 10 I would be shoving there too. You have to think that you're out front or flipping in that spot most of the time.

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont see the size of blinds and bets.
If the pot-size was small and you were confident about your postflop edge, you could call or even fold. It was quite obvious you are going to flip.

Anyway that all-in shove was not a mistake, I would say it was EV break even. So no problem, just maybe loosing edge.

luizmarinho

luizmarinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant fold.. It was a coin flip and he won, part of the game ;)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he raises after you more, then you need not lift. We had to just make a call and see the flop. And then to make a decision that. do. You did raise, and you had to to fold

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nits game in heads-up it is very terrible, probably, he is a weak player, you need to call! maybe he wanted use its statistic for bluff.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are letters to all in without seeing the cards table

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not enough info for a clear-cut reply. However, I can clearly see you being an ass toward another member who was just trying to help by asking you some very basic questions about the hand.

Still, I'll reply because this hand doesn't just pertain you, but many other players who might be in this situation one day.

1. Blinds in relation to stack sizes are very important. How 'deep' you are is very important. Playing AK when the effective stacks 10BBs deep is much different than if you are 100BBs deep. It also depends on what type of 45-man SNG it is. Is it a regular or a turbo?

2. Seeing as it is a 45-man SNG final table, I can suspect stacks are pretty shallow, but who knows? Maybe the SNG just flew by and you're only on blind level 5? I highly doubt that and in a reply you said stacks couldn't be more than 15BBs. If you're talking about your stack, then you aren't deep at all. Blinds are ~1K/2K

3. So, we can safely assume that your stack is at 30K, with blinds at 1K/2K or 15BBs deep.

With a stack this 'deep' getting your money in PF with AK is perfectly fine against a nitty villian. If he shows up with AA or KK here, good for him, but we'll take a flip against his other hands-1010+, AKs. His reraise preflop did look a bit suspect only being 15BBs deep. Most, especially if they're trying to take a stand against an aggressive preflop player, would shove there to put the aggressive player to a decision. Just raising looked strong and he didn't want to scare you off the hand, IMO. Or maybe he's just bad and was ready to fold if a J,Q,K,A hit the flop? I don't know...

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
However, I can clearly see you being an ass toward another member who was just trying to help by asking you some very basic questions about the hand.

He asked and I told him. Then he replied and I said something which he took to be condescending, but I didn't mean it that way. His sarcastic reply rubbed me the wrong way and I replied in kind. Either way, it's between me and him and doesn't really concern you. But thanks for your reply.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heads-up at the final table of a 45 man SNG on Pokerstars. The other guy is a super nit. His VPIP at the beginning of the FT(41 hands) was 2. He managed to win a lot of flips and had around 35k chips and I had around 30k. I was re-raising pretty much everything and he was folding. 6-7 hands in, when our stacks were about equal, I got AK and I bet, he raised and I re-raised him all in. He had 1010 and it held up. There is no way I should've folded in that spot right?

Yeah, in HU AK is a good preflopallin hand especially against a 3-betting guy, so it was a good move IMO.

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Blinds in relation to stack sizes are very important. How 'deep' you are is very important. Playing AK when the effective stacks 10BBs deep is much different than if you are 100BBs deep. It also depends on what type of 45-man SNG it is. Is it a regular or a turbo?

Hmm really? I had no idea that mattered whatsover. Tell you what, next time you're 100BB deep heads-up at the final table of any 45 man SNG, send me a screenshot, will you? I just assumed that most people would have the sense to deduce the point you made below, but I guess I was wrong. My bad, won't repeat it in the future. In which scenario do you think I'm less likely to mention how deep we were? :
(1) We weren't deep enough for it to matter
(2) This is the extremely rare scenario where we got down to headsup action so fast that we are still in one of the early blind levels

2. Seeing as it is a 45-man SNG final table, I can suspect stacks are pretty shallow

Last edited:
Folding in Poker