Why people talk badly about freerolls

P

pipayura

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, because freerolls take a very long time and there are many opponents who do not properly recognize this type of game. Many mistakes and incomprehensible moves; most players do not take them seriously. Today I played one, out of 3000 players I reached 32nd place, only one won, the first. And to keep him occupied, a miracle must happen. Good freerolls are just card chat!

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is because people play like donks and suck out a lot. When you got money invested in the game you tend not to play garbage hoping to win.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like freerolls, but I have watched some videos where people said that freerolls are bad to learn poker concepts. Why do they say that? Do you agree?
Freerolls.png

I also love freerolls. But you will not be able to apply poker concepts and strategy, in freerolls people often go allin from the very beginning and play unpredictably, you can say from the mood))

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He probably doesn't have the patience to play them.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My friend only plays freerolls, participates in ticket draws and monitors profitable promotions. This is his main income and very good for his country.

gery

gery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a good way to try out your skills but remember a lot of guys go very fast All-In, this is the main reason why people talk bad about it.
In my opinion be thankful and glad that it gives ways to earn money without Buy-Ins.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well , personally I would use freerolls maily for other reasons , not basically to learn , than would be a secondary reasons . Above all it's a way to get more rakeback , you win something , youplay , you give the pokerroom the rake it demands and you get the rest of the money , fair deal , ofcourse some pokerrooms such as intertops , have hatefull rules for freerolls .

To learn it's beter than playmoney , far better , but still , better play buyin games with the money you earn from the freerolls :)

K

kevinjolley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
FREE IS FREE

Some players do play differently when at a freeroll table. It's a whole different story when you have put up your real money, and someone does a 3 bet before the flop. Makes you stop and second guess that small pocket pair you are holding!

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I have also heard this and often that it is better not to play freerolls because they have a bad effect on your game, so sometimes I don't play freerolls but only play those where they really play decent prize money, well, from my assessment of freerolls, so there is such nonsense going on, people go all-in with all their hands, like roulette, who is lucky.

D

Damian12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are plays where whe have not risk

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally think that freerolls are just one of the types of tournaments! Where there are their own features and you also need to be able to play them!

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love free rolls, its takes a lot of skill to win them though sometimes for little reward.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are awesome to start a bankroll. But as said in posts above, they can be an all in fest in the first stages of a tournamnet with ranges being too wide.

But after the first break, people tend to play more tightly.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, the level of players is pretty low, plus the majority of people tend to play for the fun of it, as nothing which comes free is ever as appreciated as when you invested something. People who care and play thoughtfully is a rarity in freerolls. If you're learning poker on a bit of more advanced level than a complete beginner, you may make wrong conclusions based on the experience you get in freerolls. And this style of play you'll adopt as a result won't transition well to regular tournaments.

And still, freerolls can be a great starting point for a lot of players, both for newcomers or "starters-over-again". Because it's not about freerolls, it's about the player, his intention, goals and motivation.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like freerolls, but I have watched some videos where people said that freerolls are bad to learn poker concepts. Why do they say that? Do you agree?
Freerolls.png
Freerolls can be crazy, but a good player should make it in the money often enough and even grab a few final tables.
People who say it’s luck are still making bad plays but they don’t want to see it.
Low stake buyins are similar, but if you can’t beat them, there’s no way you’ll do well in higher buyin games

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like freerolls but haven't paid a entry fee for a tournament yet so I don't know if the play is much different. Best guess is early play in a FR is really loose but by the first break things are much tighter.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
someone said CC freerolls are different and played like an actual paid tourney... I have doubts about it, specially the bronze one :D

My opinion on it. Exactly like everyone said (I am proud now to have played around 500 freerolls lol lol - dont judge, i just play weekends for fun/study)

- Too many ppl that dont care/know about the game;
- Too many playing it as slot machines;
- Too many "pros" trying to get any bluff through;
- Too many sitting outs;
- Too many aggros;
- Few flop plays;
- No concerns if you have 100BB and someone raises you 2BB, you go ALL IN :D.

So, freerolls for me are:

- Minefields;
- Good to learn satellite poker;
- Good to get info on the many maniacs around;
- Good to evaluate situations;
- Good to practice your patience;
- Good to understand variance;
- Good to implement strategies.

Freerolls helped me build up my BR. They are excruciating and painful. But this helps us understand that we will not always win or be in the money. Know how to deal with the bad beats, variance, crazy ppl on freerolls and I think it will get the player a lot of experience when getting to the paid mtts.

I enjoy it and use it to practice. Maintaining a strategy to these have been profitable to me.

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
a lot depends on what kind of freeroll it is and the number of players, if there is any mass, in the early stages you can encounter some really abnormal poker plays from players. There are quite a few CC experienced players and you can learn a lot in the freeroll club on this forum.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes and no. Freerolls that are played by thousands of people may be quite frustrating, because people play them without any concern. If you can't adapt to the field you may not profit from that and get into bad beats that will leave you tilted. You should know that there's no perfect way to play poker, what works for expensive tournaments will probably not be as profitable in a freeroll. It's all about adapting to your field and exploiting the players whenever possible.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Alex Fitzgerald says, "Half of winning at micro-stakes poker is just having the gall to take it seriously." For freerolls, bump that half up to 3/4!

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls.png

I agree a lot, at freeroll u meet a lot of crazy villains shoving with no reason and making crazy plays, its harder to read your opponents at freerolls, since they don't spend any money, they don't care to lose and play like clowns

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who say that freerolls are bad for learning poker most likely couldn't win anything there. Freerolls are also played by people, which means that in any game you learn.:musicus:

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The reason is that players behaviour is significantly different in (most) freerolls than in games where they have money invested and are thus more risk seeking in freerolls, and more risk adverse in real poker tournaments and games.

Bluffing works far less often in a freeroll, players ranges are drastically wider for all actions - including jamming the flop, calling jams, 3betting, etc.

Some freerolls - where playing well is important (ie you want to impress other players with your play; everyone is studying the game and working on their skills; etc.) then the freeroll will play more like a real tournament.
In these types of tournaments you can put your concepts and gaming skills into practice, but most likely others will not. It is a good way to reinforce your skills, hand reading, calling ranges, 3-bet, 4-bet ranges, etc. What is certain is that others will not do the same, because that is not their intention, but to play without meaning, betting everything at random, without logical strategy, since they are free tournaments.:cool:

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
someone said CC freerolls are different and played like an actual paid tourney... I have doubts about it, specially the bronze one :D

My opinion on it. Exactly like everyone said (I am proud now to have played around 500 freerolls lol lol - dont judge, i just play weekends for fun/study)

- Too many ppl that dont care/know about the game;
- Too many playing it as slot machines;
- Too many "pros" trying to get any bluff through;
- Too many sitting outs;
- Too many aggros;
- Few flop plays;
- No concerns if you have 100BB and someone raises you 2BB, you go ALL IN :D.

So, freerolls for me are:

- Minefields;
- Good to learn satellite poker;
- Good to get info on the many maniacs around;
- Good to evaluate situations;
- Good to practice your patience;
- Good to understand variance;
- Good to implement strategies.

Freerolls helped me build up my BR. They are excruciating and painful. But this helps us understand that we will not always win or be in the money. Know how to deal with the bad beats, variance, crazy ppl on freerolls and I think it will get the player a lot of experience when getting to the paid mtts.

I enjoy it and use it to practice. Maintaining a strategy to these have been profitable to me.

Totally agree with your entire post.
Except one - your 500 freerolls is pitiful. :D:D:D I played in approximately 5600 when I first started out. You have a long way to go before you can be judged by your tiny amount of freerolls. :D:D:D

Attachments

• LOTS OF FREEROLLS2.jpg
    LOTS OF FREEROLLS2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 11
Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinion

People have a bad opinion of freerolls because there is a very weak field and there are a lot of players who play any hands and go all in without hesitation hoping for luck. It spoils the game.

Freeroll Passwords