DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'd mirror what a lot of people have already said. If you're experiencing what you feel is a 'bad run' then its worth taking some time to step back and analyse whats going on.

Look back at your plays and see where it went wrong and what you could have done differently. If you see something that could have been done better, it's a learning experience. If you genuinely did everything right then it's just how things go sometimes.

If you find that you're expecting to have a run of bad luck every time you sit down to play (before the first card is even drawn) then it's probably a good time for you to take a break from poker for a few days or so (depending on how often you play). A short break and time to calm down sometimes does wonders.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It helps me to take some more study time away from playing. Learning more is something I can control, luck is not.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're running bad what works for me is I take a few minutes for a break. I back away from the table for a few hands, relax and refocus and get back to the game.

krasikrisi

krasikrisi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calmness and self-control are most important. If I feel like I'm losing them, I stop and try to focus. In general, if I am angry or in a bad mood, I do not sit down to play. For me, poker is a pleasure.Игра Wordle If I feel that I am losing control, I take a break for 5 minutes, during which time I think about how the yoke went, whether I was wrong or just "bad luck". If I consider that I played my hands well even if they were not winning, then everything is fine, if not, I stop the session.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's from playing a lot of volume for wanting to level up fast

Ragonesi

Ragonesi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just take breaks when I`m having bad beats or coolers... Like when you are all in pre flop and ahead 4-1 but lose on 2 outs only or 4... I stop the moment i think the game is doing personally to me...

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When I manage to go badly, then I just lose for some time what I play. I try to come to balance, I start watching the training video. If everything repeats again, then he takes a break for a week. But I began to notice that now I am more relaxed about moving.

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm having that sort of day today (after having a really successful day of grinding yesterday). I have taken a few small breaks, but I'm really trying to train some mental resilience into myself. So I've reviewed the hands I lost and I'm satisfied that I played them well, so I can feel assured that if I continue to play that way, I will eventually come out on top. The losing still sucks, but for every fish that outdraws me, I'll still get my money in good more often than not. Today is just a "not" day so far.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually had a rough day yesterday. All day I was getting a cold deck. after loosing about 40% of my stack (rebuying to 100bb) I was playing on a cash table) I had finally got a decent hand that paid out, so I ended up with about 150% profit at the end. I wanted to continue playing however after another rotation or 2 I had left the table and stopped playing. I wanted to keep playing however the cards just weren't falling in my favor, so knowing myself, leaving the table and doing something else was the best way to spend my time.

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It helps to stop for a day or two, reflect, think, have courage again and enter the most wonderful game again:D

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Take a day break and use that day to analyse your play, recap some materials about poker, and watch some pros playing

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I actually had a rough day yesterday. All day I was getting a cold deck. after loosing about 40% of my stack (rebuying to 100bb) I was playing on a cash table) I had finally got a decent hand that paid out, so I ended up with about 150% profit at the end. I wanted to continue playing however after another rotation or 2 I had left the table and stopped playing. I wanted to keep playing however the cards just weren't falling in my favor, so knowing myself, leaving the table and doing something else was the best way to spend my time.

I envy you! Going down 40% would have been a vacation:). I got stacked twice (100bb) by bad beats (a guy shoved on my set of kings on a dry board only to get runner/runner straight, and another guy called my shove on a set of jacks and got a runner/runner flush).

Oh well, I'll bet someone had it even worse than we did! As long as you're playing well, that's what matters, right?

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I envy you! Going down 40% would have been a vacation:). I got stacked twice (100bb) by bad beats (a guy shoved on my set of kings on a dry board only to get runner/runner straight, and another guy called my shove on a set of jacks and got a runner/runner flush).

Oh well, I'll bet someone had it even worse than we did! As long as you're playing well, that's what matters, right?
I've been playing roughly 14 years for cash, many for play before that. I still didn't want to leave the table at that time but I knew it was probably best.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What helps you get back on track when you’re running bad? Yesterday I almost reached three final tables, but lost one/two/three players away from the final table. Which upset me. What do you do when you run bad?
What do I do when running bad? Lose, of course. What helps me get back on track? Luck. There's no substitute.

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
lighting a fat one, drinking and watching some funny videos

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to take notes when running bad. It helps me to know what I have to do better to make me play better.

Beatlebug

P

povelitelbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usualy ,I take a break .it is helps me to forgot bad thoughts .

B

BOBMUSSI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study and relax with outdoor activities and sports.

bilva1984

bilva1984

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

I would say not to lose the game, try to keep a cool head in bad times and try to reverse the situation. because if you go on tilt you are going to get worse. Cheers

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The best thing would be to take a break and to be patient. Poker can be brutal sometimes and downswings can be longer than you think so being patient is extremely important.

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're having trouble, there are a few things you can do:

-Take a break
-Try a new rooms
-Play incredibly tight
-Study and watch some youtube/twitch videos of pros

This happened to me on 888 a few months ago. In terms of stakes, I went down a notch.
One of the biggest reasons for lengthy downswings, in my opinion, is that you lose heart. I started doing silly things like missing value bets or over representing top and over pairs on the flop after a few losing sessions because I was weary of being ran down. While trying to run some fruitless movements to go back even, I also missed my regular bluffing areas.
You should take a hard look at your game to see if you're doing any of these things. I've found that lowering the stakes has boosted my confidence. :smile:

Last edited:
Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I am at exactly such a moment. I lost by going all-in pre-flop with AA 4 times in a row. I feel like I'm being sucked into a black hole.
I'm now playing lower games and focusing on freerolls. Funny that this bad streak started after I won $60 by placing 1st in a tournament.

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just stop playing poker and get rest

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Slow down and enjoy outside poker life . Time will turn , no need to push it and have probs with mind

katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I often have bad streaks. It's not that I'm tired or distracted, I just keep getting weaker hands at showdown even when my hand is strong. If that keeps repeating for many games in a row, I feel like I'm out of luck and need to turn it around. I leave the game for at least a few days. Generally helps :)