What Helps When You're Running Bad?

J

JOHNNYROD143

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a breather

What helps you get back on track when you’re running bad? Yesterday I almost reached three final tables, but lost one/two/three players away from the final table. Which upset me. What do you do when you run bad?

When you are running bad you often get tilted which keeps you from playing your best poker. The key to controlling your game when you are running bad is to acknowledge that it is not always your fault and bad beats will happen. Furthermore, to minimize damage after a bad beat it is often good to take a breather and reflect on the hand or hands that you lost on. This will help you understand if your play was at fault for you running bad or if it was just bad luck. Anyways, how you respond to running bad is what is important. Stay off tilt and play your game and you'll get back up.:)

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
What helps you get back on track when you’re running bad? Yesterday I almost reached three final tables, but lost one/two/three players away from the final table. Which upset me. What do you do when you run bad?

I've won first place in two slow tournaments at the same time once in my life so far, I think it's hard to win first place every day, especially in a tournament with over 100 players. I think if I reach the winning seats every day it's an achievement and a really good job ;)

D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no idea but if you find out can you please let me know, I'm on the downswing to end all downswings at the moment and what's worse is I was shot taking so the whole graph took a dive.

I all seriousness I un installed ACR and then had a half days break back at it now.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally ,quitting for a while to change your luck but if you cant then drop level way down to preserve your bankroll and go back up when you start hitting winning sessions

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's important to stop for a while. But this time should be used to assess how your game is doing. It's good to take notes and if possible analyze some critical hands you've played to try to identify any behavior that's hurting your game.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep studying and improving your game. It's the best way.

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am exactly in that situation ,,, personally what I try to do is lower the volume of tables and go back, a step back, think and act very calm, accept the moment and play very cautiously waiting for the variance to make a change to My favor ,,, discipline, patience and I keep adding volume of hands, because if I get distracted a little, the study, practice and learning time will be of no use to me, which is really what I should do, the variance always it will be there, so what we should not do is not to get into bad thoughts, which in the long run that happens to many. ,, nothing lasts forever ,, everything will change ,, is what I try to do and it gives me good long-term results ,, that is what poker has ,,, so let's enjoy it and that luck, tranquility, patience and luck be with us ,,,,

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it's bad, ignore, or blame, don't fixate..

When it goes against you, and you played logically, just no luck, I'd ignore it. You just haven't been getting the luck.
Blame is not worth your time. You can blame a lot of things, if you know you played within your game, you can't blame yourself.

The hard part is not to fixate when you are on a bad run. Don't put all your emotions on only being satisfied with total victory. Poker is not fun if you "have" to win, you ignore all the little victories that got you anywhere.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is it's not up to us what is in control is our decision so be patient and take every decision logically and ignore the bad run as it wouldn't last longer if you do right thing in long run.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm playing cash I ask for a table change. Tournaments not much you can do except dont rebuy chances are you going to just lose more. So try a different tournament or day to play them. But I wouldn't call a couple players away from final table running bad. I would just do more folding in those cases if I want to save my chips.

diago726

diago726

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am absent for a moment, I drink water, some fruit, I take a deep breath and I go back to the game, it helps me a lot.

D

dirty_nerd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What Helps When [I'm] Running Bad?

I usually take a break from playing when I am running bad. I usually continue my studying during this break. Confidence is so important with anything in life especially when playing poker and running bad or a succession of bad beats can damage confidence. I remind myself that the percentages have to play out and sometimes I'm going to be on the unlucky end of it. I also remind myself that the key to long term success is staying the course and relying on solid play and my learning. More often than not, when I'm running bad, I get my chips in good and that helps me get over the bad beat more quickly. Poker is a beautiful game but it can be brutal at times as well. That's why I have learned to take a break from time to time so that my enjoyment of playing the game never diminishes.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Patience is what I do in these cases and self-restraint, as much as I can! I try to think in the long term.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a break or often just quit for the day and then get outside, exercise helps especially. Then I sit down with a clear head and review the hands that I lost, both big and small pots.

As long as I can determine that the results were simply based on the routine variance that we all face in poker (and not me playing poorly), then I can simply move on and get ready for the next session, with a clear frame of mind, ready to crush again.

Hope this helps.

P

povelitelbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually after some bad lines of games I take a rest. It help me.

S

ScottyDee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop playing for a while and reset.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I'm in bad shape every day, I can't even remember when was the last time I reached a final table, but I'm not discouraged because I haven't invested almost any $ in tournaments. I've only been playing freerolls lately and you know reaching a freeroll final table is not easy, but at least in some I manage to cash in, which makes me happy, because I play for fun. But what I can say to you my friend is don't be discouraged, put the game aside for a moment and go split a wood or strain a coffee, then go back to playing.:)

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Well, azgeda, it doesn't sound like you're running bad. Missing a final table or three is not too bad. Not cashing at all and losing your entire bankroll over a few months span is running bad, imo.
I've found out that when I start to run not-so-good I'll change up the game I'm playing and indulge in some pot-limit Omaha or PLO-8.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play different games at different sites. I will switch between cash and tourneys.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rest and stop playing, it is a bad idea to play when you are angry.

rehktega

rehktega

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm doing poorly in a tournament I go to the kitchen, have a coffee and smoke a cigarette to relax.:cool:

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Just stop and rest your mind have a coffe or go outside have a fresh air then come back to play.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I reduce the game and wait for my luck to change for the better and avoid playing with more than one player

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Without knowing more info I think you are being too hard on yourself. If you are playing MTTs of 50 or more people and in 3 tourneys you miss the final table by 1, 2, and 3 people, makes me think you were running pretty good to get that deep in those tournaments that day. You need to set aside the results and evaluate the hands leading up to your being knocked out. Like were your decisions sound, did you change something , did you go card dead and that led you to try to force something to happen with the wrong cards? Did you get impatient and make a bonehead play? If your play and decisions were sound then you were just the victim of the cards. In MTTs being that close to the final table that often is NOT running bad. Most people would love to do that.

Jim:cool::cool: