Small pairs in tournaments

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you suggesting we limp? Or simply don't play them?

Aren't we turning our hand face-up if we limp?

Yes small pocket pairs we limp in and try to see the flop cheap fi we dont make a set we fold.

Surely you don't want to carry on in a hand with a small pair and 3 overs on the flop?

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd limp them in a live game, yes. Online, I'm open-raising or I'm folding. No limping. That would scream "small pair / suited connector" and would make my life harder postflop.
My aggro style has a lot of fold equity. There are plenty of overcard flops that I c-bet and take down.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd limp them in a live game, yes. Online, I'm open-raising or I'm folding. No limping. That would scream "small pair / suited connector" and would make my life harder postflop.
My aggro style has a lot of fold equity. There are plenty of overcard flops that I c-bet and take down.

So if you had 22 and the flop came 9JK you would open raise with your 22?

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pairs

I prefer to limp them from any position but only with both my and opponent's deep stacks. And often shove if stacks are small and there is something in the bank already.

Me I play tight. if all possible. I hate it when people that are deep stack and you have a small stack. They just keep pushing all in and I have caught them with a like a 6,4 off suit and here you are with a A,10. and they hit what really makes me mad. I don't thing half of these people would play like they do in a free roll compare to them buying in like three hundred some dollars.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me I play tight. if all possible. I hate it when people that are deep stack and you have a small stack. They just keep pushing all in and I have caught them with a like a 6,4 off suit and here you are with a A,10. and they hit what really makes me mad. I don't thing half of these people would play like they do in a free roll compare to them buying in like three hundred some dollars.

That's optimal play big stack against small stack, there is still equity shoving behind into a small stack. It sucks when you have a short stack but shoving with the best hand is all you can do.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
admin plz delete didnt realize i posted once already sry and ty

Last edited:
TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if you had 22 and the flop came 9JK you would open raise with your 22?
Not 9JK or any of those other 3x 9/T/J/Q/K/A superwet flops, but flops like 47A or 58K or 379? Yup.
Remember, I raised preflop. A single A or K hits my range hard. If I don't get raised, I might even barrel two on a low flop (without face cards). All overcards will fold.

O

Onkorunkus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^this. Just because there are overcards doesn't mean your opponent hit them and you have to shut down and check/fold.

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your stack, position, opponents and phase of tournament.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also like to limp small pair,and if is many player i hand if I hit a set,players could never know,is good when happens like that.....

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Always depends of the position on table and the level of the game.

KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of the time, I straight up fold small pairs as they can so easily be outdrawn. Dependant on position and how many players are left to act, I'll generally limp and try to catch a set.
The only time I really find myself raising up the small pocket pairs is if there's a really short stack behind with not many players left to act.

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold them in early positions and make standard opens in middle or late position. Always hoping to flop a set of course :)

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game with Small pairs is a Speculative game. Because I rely on the concept of implied odds, that is, I'm assuming that I will pay if I connect my set. Therefore it is necessary play it in a multi-way pot where it increases the probability that someone pay me.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No set, no bet.
If there is not Set, I do not bet.
Small pairs are a speculative move, they are not a move to value bet. At this point, we have that to have discipline. If we have to get out of hand, we're off.

B

braingueu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depending on the position , until 3bb

R

rafa_camarg0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opnion, try to see flop if blind not greater than ten percent of its stack, and your position be close to the big blind....
this way you can dodge his opponents.....

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good opportunity for set mining but observe your stack.

blackplanet

blackplanet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll call a reraise with 10's and up but will fold pretty much all my pairs under 10's to a preflop raiser or aggressive player. I think I play a little diffrent in tournaments.

kingkesh93

kingkesh93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early position and early in the tournament is a no no, just not worth the risk.
If I dont hit on the flop, I'm out. However, if the opponents show weakness, I'll try and take the pot

ovidiu9b

ovidiu9b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play them(exept for all in)...it gives me the posibility of a hidden tree of a kind

trezvennick

trezvennick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in early position fold or call-in the middle usually call or open raise 2 BB and in late position if not many calls also raise 2 BB-if somebody open raise 2-3BB usually calls

S

Stone Cold Tom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on so many things like chip stack, position on the table, faze of the tournament, opponents behavior etc. But general rule is to limp a small pair so you can see the flop.

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp and call an 2-3 bet,fold if someone make a big raise.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting info...that from 1000 hands we have 40 little pairs from 9s to 2s and 20% from these hands prove to set!!!!