Small pairs in tournaments

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many options ....but I prefer not to play small pairs in early and mid position...8s and 9s are played with 2bb ....but i try to see flop

Jhonnathan Willians

Jhonnathan Willians

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise 3BB or limp depends position

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on many things like stack, position, level/stage, action before you, etc.

The thing is ,its easy to play them as what the board suggests.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with small pairs when playing deep-stacked play better in the position and in the presence of a large number of competitors. so the chances of winning the highest .

G

gametime200

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Enough to Call, Good Enough to Raise

I stick to the basics, If in early position I raise 2.5BB in early stages when blinds are small. I figure its worth it to play for a set when the blinds are cheap. Usually I get a call but no raise, most players fold which obviously changes positioning. If in mid to late position I raise 3BB. Just my 2 cents but probably on worth a penny!:)

D

darreneliascoach

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a math behind small pairs its called set mining check out in strategy section .

its about how often we hit a set on flop ,turn or river

P

Peak92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
set mining is good only if you have stack big enough to call raises oop. Floping set might be very profitable

K

KWILD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play them as cheap as possible, obviously. The no set= no bet theory has proven to be correct in the past. Overplayed a small pair in the Dominican at a wsop Boot camp main event that stung pretty bad. Got 6th in the second chance tourney the next day and won a trip to Vegas!

D

donkers2008

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to sit in the Bush with small pairs

H

Halid68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold in early position they are very dengerous in turnaments...

blackdevil724

blackdevil724

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I min raise, never limp because i want to se whar oppenenrs do facing raise...iff already raised call in start off tournament, fold or shove in later stages depending off stake and player who i am against..

M

MASURON2KE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends in early stage i limp on late stage fold or shove if i shortstack

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set mining more typical of ring games, rarely is it profitable in the tournaments and you'll often waste more in chips seeing it if happens and then if it happens the return is unlikely to be high. In early position only if deep stacked as you'll almost always be raised if you limp and possibly 3bet if you raise. In late position it can be nice but more played as steal cards and if people call the raise just hope you hit the flop or they miss and fold to your cbet.

People often see small pairs played hard on tv and what they miss out on is context. They are being played in those situations because it makes sense - one of the biggest leaks in tourney poker is people overplaying pocket pairs.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp until you can strut.

When you hit trips, then bet big. (except if only one opponent and you are last to bet).

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pocket pairs we are only playing to flop a set, with flopping a set 12% of the time we wan't to see the flop for as cheap as possible with as many players as possible to increase our expected value. 77- limp/fold. 88+ calling 3BB. 10+ raise or call a 3+BB bet.

B

butterstoch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
normal raise at middle/late position, it hides the strength of your hand

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with small pairs play better from the vantage point and with the participation of a large number of opponents in the pot . so there is a big chance of winning the whole opponent's stack .

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i want to see the flop with a small pair-i would not be raising with them from any position-i would call a small raise up to 3x the bb anything more there getting folded-small pairs are good for set mining-if you miss the flop and dont hit set -playing small pairs post flop normaly doesnt end well

E

EnSabah

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp to see cheap flop. And play agressive if I hit the set.

O

Onkorunkus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the table. In micro stakes, if you are on a passive table, you can get away with limping pretty often. But if there are any half decent players on your table, they will instanly notice what's up when you limp and then come jumping at them on the flop.

leshausa03

leshausa03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it smaller then 10 pair I try to play flop If i have drinked this day I can go allin
In this situation, there are no rules for me)

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pair in a tourny: all in or fold. Deep stacked: play more like a pro, limp, raise, call, who knows.